Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration In Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I just picked up my new s90d yesterday, 2/17 and noticed the vibration in the steering but I also noticed some steering instability as well. Those with vibration issue, do you also have the steering "play" issue as well? Steering doesn't feel solid at highway speeds 50+, Not sure if it's related.

I have the vibration problem (I feel it in steering wheel) and I also have tracking issues at highway speeds. For me the steering starts to feel loose at 45mph and becomes even more noticeable above 60mph.

Reactions: davidc18
Hi - I just picked up my new s90d yesterday, 2/17 and noticed the vibration in the steering but I also noticed some steering instability as well. Those with vibration issue, do you also have the steering "play" issue as well? Steering doesn't feel solid at highway speeds 50+, Not sure if it's related.
Not for me. Did you try changing the steering setting?

Any update on your situation?

I have a 2016 Model S and Tesla cannot seem to identify the source of vibration in the steering wheel. It is most prominent at around 70 mph. Other cars with the air suspension seem to have the same problem but not as noticeable as on my 75D.
Has anyone dealt with this problem?

Marc
I had the exact same problem with my Model S at the exact same speed. I had Tesla service re-balance the tires and the problem went away

Model S w/ 19" wheels is prone to tramlining. This explains why the car may feel a bit 'squirrely' at freeway speeds, especially if you are driving over parallel road imperfections or grooved pavement. Service says this is normal and common for tires of this size and width. All loaners w/ 19" wheels felt the same as mine. The only Model S that does not exhibit this issue, from my experience, is the now discontinued P85+ w/ staggered wheels.

I picked up my S75D 12/16/17 and noticed a vibration as soon as I hit highway speeds. Wind, speed and cold temperatures seem to make it worse. Long aggravating story short, the problem is fixed and as others have mentioned this is a vibration in the front fascia. Temporary fix is easily accomplished with a foam strip. Permanent solution is being worked on by factory. Car now drives like a dream on a sheet of glass.

I'm glad other people are having good results after repair. My car (MS90D delivered Dec 2016) has been in service twice already and still has the vibration issue. First time they put the foam behind the front fascia. Second time they balanced be wheels. Now I dropped it off again yesterday at service. Requested escalating the issue to upper levels. Thinking about going through Lemon law if they can't fix it after the third attempt.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
I'm glad other people are having good results after repair. My car (MS90D delivered Dec 2016) has been in service twice already and still has the vibration issue. First time they put the foam behind the front fascia. Second time they balanced be wheels. Now I dropped it off again yesterday at service. Requested escalating the issue to upper levels. Thinking about going through Lemon law if they can't fix it after the third attempt.

My '16 refresh has been in multiple times for the vibration but it hasn't been fixed.

Please keep us informed how you latest visit to the SC goes.

Updates on my car vibrations. On the third repair try at the SC they reported the following:

"Technician found contact between lower duct and radiator support causing vibration. Corrections: Fascia Assembly - Front

R/R front fascia to reinforce lower duct."

Since then the high speed vibration seems to have resolved. But I can feel a new type of subtle vibration in the steering wheel and the whole car at any speed, sometimes worse when one of the wheels in on lane markings (not sure what to make of this). They have balanced all wheels before on one of the SC visits so I'm not sure if that's a wheel issue or normal "feeling the road" sensation.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman and MS16
Updates on my car vibrations. On the third repair try at the SC they reported the following:

"Technician found contact between lower duct and radiator support causing vibration. Corrections: Fascia Assembly - Front

R/R front fascia to reinforce lower duct."

Since then the high speed vibration seems to have resolved. But I can feel a new type of subtle vibration in the steering wheel and the whole car at any speed, sometimes worse when one of the wheels in on lane markings (not sure what to make of this). They have balanced all wheels before on one of the SC visits so I'm not sure if that's a wheel issue or normal "feeling the road" sensation.

Thanks for the info, glad you were able to get at least some progress.

Before this repair, how well did your car track on the highway?

"Technician found contact between lower duct and radiator support causing vibration. Corrections: Fascia Assembly - Front R/R front fascia to reinforce lower duct."
Since then the high speed vibration seems to have resolved...

Good work there. I had the same problem back in October when I bought the car new. They were still investigating this issue (it seems to be quite widespread) - but one of the technicians felt that to be the case and they were right. My obvious vibrations are gone since that "fix" - as they said a permanent fix was still not developed - I am hoping now it is with your repair getting a more official naming". I created a youtube video to pinpoint what my technician told me was the issue.

Good work there. I had the same problem back in October when I bought the car new. They were still investigating this issue (it seems to be quite widespread) - but one of the technicians felt that to be the case and they were right. My obvious vibrations are gone since that "fix" - as they said a permanent fix was still not developed - I am hoping now it is with your repair getting a more official naming". I created a youtube video to pinpoint what my technician told me was the issue.

Is this an issue on both the MS and MX?

Thanks for all your help because I have the same problem here in Montreal with the new fascia.

BIG NEWS TODAY : Tesla Montreal confirm me that tesla california is working hard on that problem and a fix on the lower bumper will be available in couple of weeks !

I have a 2016 Model S and Tesla cannot seem to identify the source of vibration in the steering wheel. It is most prominent at around 70 mph. Other cars with the air suspension seem to have the same problem but not as noticeable as on my 75D.
Has anyone dealt with this problem?

Marc

Do you have lane departure warning enabled ? If yes turn it off and see if you still get the vibration.

Is this an issue on both the MS and MX?
My problems are completely gone now.

Here is the full journey:
1. Right after delivery, I had vibrations at certain speeds. They changed one wheel rim.
2. Vibrations were still present at higher speeds. They inserted foam in lower front fascia are (wind getting through bumper area causing vibration). This I had to come couple of times to SC to fix.
3. That mostly reduced the big vibrations. But some vibrations still persisted.
4. At about 20k Miles, when I powdercoated my wheels black, I took the wheels and tires to an independent expert to give it a check. He said the wheels were solid, but some of the tires (Goodyear Iram) had some manufacturing imperfections. NExt tire change - go with Michelin’s.
5. At 25k miles, a nail puncture was bad enough that I changed all 4 tires with Michelin MXM4 primacy tires.

I am happy to declare that after the tire change, all vibrations are finally gone!!!

I couldn’t believe tires made such a big difference. I then remembered one of the techs in tesla SC told me while they were working on my car - the tesla MS (and quite likely MX too) frame is such a rigid frame (more than any ICE car) that slight imperfections in wheels/tires are not absorbed by the frame/body - and they show up as vibrations into the cabin area / steering.

Good luck with your investigations....I am finally at 25k miles into ownership that I can declare a commitment lately vibration free ride - no matter the speed. Love these Michelins.

Reactions: Red_DS
my 90D had these same problems since collection, most noticeable at higher super smooth french motorway speeds. Had front end replaced as the original 'foam packing fix' had distorted the air splitter. Also had front jack shaft replaced after tightening front motor mounts did not resolve the problem. Was finally all fixed and smooth as my original p85D.