Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration/juddering at motorway speed Model 3 2021 facelift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that can cause this is going over a lane lane without using the signal. It will vibrate the wheel to warn you of lane departure.

It's this, the wheel deliberately vibrates when changing lane at speed. You can disable it on driving settings.

Is this some new feature on the 2021 facelift?

Nope. Its regular Lane Departure Avoidance

upload_2020-12-21_14-5-33.png

An update .... we have changed tyre pressures down from the 43psi they were at to 39 and done quite a few high speed runs and my son feels that this has lessened the vibration considerably so maybe car sitting for a while in one spot ??? dont know but he has cancelled his ranger call out as he is now one happy bunny.

What is the official pressure for the tyres?

if they are being run under inflated he may just be swapping one problem for another.

I have run mine at both these pressures, and never had any vibration.

The vibration he was feeling was minimal.
I also have ran mine with various pressures and have had different handling and comfort variances , my sons new lr had an issue and this has rectified it for now maybe as tyres get more miles then he might try different pressures and see if the problem reoccurs in the meantime he is satisfied.

Model 3 performance delivered new on December 21st fitted with Pirelli P Zero tyres, has slight tingling / vibration sensation in steering wheel. Only done 150 miles but it seems to be getting better, not disappeared totally but less noticeable. I agree that its probably tyres flat spotting from the boat journey, Pirellis are prone to flat spotting. Hopefully as the miles build up the tingling will reduce. We have a Mini JCW on Pirelli P Zeros and that was the same from new, now at 1400 miles and it's vibration free.

Model 3 performance delivered new on December 21st fitted with Pirelli P Zero tyres, has slight tingling / vibration sensation in steering wheel. Only done 150 miles but it seems to be getting better, not disappeared totally but less noticeable. I agree that its probably tyres flat spotting from the boat journey, Pirellis are prone to flat spotting. Hopefully as the miles build up the tingling will reduce. We have a Mini JCW on Pirelli P Zeros and that was the same from new, now at 1400 miles and it's vibration free.
I’m pretty sure my 2021 M3P has this same vibration and it’s running Pirelli’s. The Steering wheel is also off to the left say pointing to 11 o’clock.

I picked up M3 LR on 31st, Had the same tingling vibration over 60mph. Would have pins and needles in my palm if I held onto the upper half of the steering for 2-3 mins. Took ut to a local type shop and they said that my front wheels were out of balance by 20g. Vibrations in steering whele have disappeared now. However still fell vibration through the floor at high speeds, almost as is something is flapping against the wind on the underside.

I picked up M3 LR on 31st, Had the same tingling vibration over 60mph. Would have pins and needles in my palm if I held onto the upper half of the steering for 2-3 mins. Took ut to a local type shop and they said that my front wheels were out of balance by 20g. Vibrations in steering whele have disappeared now. However still fell vibration through the floor at high speeds, almost as is something is flapping against the wind on the underside.

Check the underside for loose aero panels front and back. It has been known for the attachment bolts to be loose or missing. These are the cosmetic/aero panels that smooth the airflow under the car. At worst, if loose, they can catch in deep water puddles and be ripped of ...

Reactions: Tranceporter
Just out of the service centre. They confirmed the vibration too! Phew. Wasn't just my imagination. Inspection diagnosed wheel. Imbalance on two of the wheels. Not huge tbf, 20g on one, 5g on the other. Just using the supercharger then I'll road test it on motorway driving home!

Reactions: MrBadger
Well that was a pointless visit as it turned out. Didn't resolve it. If anything it's now worse! I swear I had mild white finger after the 30 min motorway drive home.

Managed to record about 10s of vibration using Vibrometer app from android play store. Very crudely measured, mind! I supported my phone whilst it sat on top of my steering wheel in portrait mode. This was the result. Would be really great to see what others measure, especially those with no symptoms. 2.39m/s2 peak.

Attachments

• screenshot_1610117018604.jpg
    screenshot_1610117018604.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 109
That sucks. In my case, after the local tyre shop balanced the front wheels, I was no longer feeling the “pins and needles” vibration through the steering at higher speeds. However there is still sort of juddering happening, almost like there is a chewing gum stuck to one of the tyres lol.

I have an oppointment with Tesla on 14th Jan. I am hoping they take off the tyres to inspect the foam and maybe also balance the rears. I wonder if it’s simply because the tyre pressure is high? (41 psi in my case)

Well that was a pointless visit as it turned out. Didn't resolve it. If anything it's now worse! I swear I had mild white finger after the 30 min motorway drive home.

Managed to record about 10s of vibration using Vibrometer app from android play store. Very crudely measured, mind! I supported my phone whilst it sat on top of my steering wheel in portrait mode. This was the result. Would be really great to see what others measure, especially those with no symptoms. 2.39m/s2 peak.
Ok so update from me. I am due to service appointment on 14th at Winchester SC. I have had the car road force balanced today, and it’s made matters worse. Now I feel vibration all across the speed range (30-70) and it’s intermittent. So balancing does not seem to be the issue here. It’s something else. After 2-3 minutes of driving on motorway, my hands feel numb. I hope Tesla sorts this s*** out. Also when I am idle, the heat pump generates vibrations through the steering wheel. So I wonder if the heat pump is doing this while driving as well. It’s not just the steering wheel, I feel them through the floor as well

Ok so update from me. I am due to service appointment on 14th at Winchester SC. I have had the car road force balanced today, and it’s made matters worse. Now I feel vibration all across the speed range (30-70) and it’s intermittent. So balancing does not seem to be the issue here. It’s something else. After 2-3 minutes of driving on motorway, my hands feel numb. I hope Tesla sorts this s*** out. Also when I am idle, the heat pump generates vibrations through the steering wheel. So I wonder if the heat pump is doing this while driving as well. It’s not just the steering wheel, I feel them through the floor as well
This sums up exactly my experience after tesla rebalanced my wheels! How odd! I'm back in February