Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration/juddering at motorway speed Model 3 2021 facelift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my car has been in Edinburgh all week whilst Tesla attempt to diagnose and fix the vibration issue for the 3rd time.

What do you guys make of this text I received this morning?

Hi G, just had the technician back from final road test. We have performed extensive checks and we feel that there is a slight improvement but the vibration has been not totally eliminated. I am sending you a document via email with the description of all the steps taken to address this and conclusion of both our Workshop Supervisor and Master Technician. We would like to return your car so you can test it again. Should you not be happy with the results, all we can offer is to arrange for you a test drive of a demo car with same specs and similar mileage for comparison. If you still feel an excessive vibration, we will also be happy to go on a road test together with 2 different vehicles to compare,but this will need to be arranged for when COVID restrictions will be lifted.
Please let me know if you would like to come and pick the car up or would like it delivered however,should you choose the latter, I cannot guarantee this will happen today due to driver availability. Thanks

it sortof reads like they are insinuating that "this is how they all are sir".

Without knowing how your car feels its impossible to say for sure whether it's an "expectations problem" (no offence). What I would say though is that I've never felt any vibration in my car that has stood out to me, so I tend to think they're trying to fob you off a bit.

Reactions: Avendit and gdallas
So this is what they've done this week. They've apparently balanced the wheels on each of the three visits now!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305-114923.jpg
    Screenshot_20210305-114923.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 135
I’m not sure how your vibration manifests itself.
Over the years I’ve had many cars from old bangers to brand new. Most vibration was sorted by wheel balance, one was a dodgy piece of suspension but two were caused by an out of shape tyre. One of those was a brand new car. It’s one of those things easily overlooked.
I think as a measure of desperation, I would have them swap the wheels and then do a rest run

I’m not sure how your vibration manifests itself.
Over the years I’ve had many cars from old bangers to brand new. Most vibration was sorted by wheel balance, one was a dodgy piece of suspension but two were caused by an out of shape tyre. One of those was a brand new car. It’s one of those things easily overlooked.
I think as a measure of desperation, I would have them swap the wheels and then do a rest run

Ye, exactly. I think it's the tyres. So tempted to slap 4 conti 6s on her. But then I think, why should I need to pay for that!

The last time it was in, 8th Jan. I was told by their service manager. That they were able to balance the wheels to Zero!

Last edited:
Ye, exactly. I think it's the tyres. So tempted to slap 4 conti 6s on her. But then I think, why should I need to pay for that!

The last time it was in, 8th Jan. I was told by their service manager. That they were able to balance the wheels to Zero!

Would that not suggest the issue is the foam inside the tyres. If the wheel can be balanced on the machine (which spins smoothly) but when driven the vibration returns, that suggests something has shifted again since the balancing. The most obvious thing I can think of is the sound insulating foam is loose and moves when driving.

It’s a long while ago but I recall it was possible to balance a wheel with an out of shape tyre. For the life of me, I can’t remember how it was finally identified. That said, it was in the days of ‘old school’ equipment!

It’s a long while ago but I recall it was possible to balance a wheel with an out of shape tyre. For the life of me, I can’t remember how it was finally identified. That said, it was in the days of ‘old school’ equipment!

Probably a "Hunter road force balance" but finding somewhere that does it is really hard, I've never succeeded

The thing about tyres and who pays (and I haven't re-read from the beginning to know how quickly the symptoms appeared) but hit a pothole and you can damage the tyre for good without it being visible, so you could damage a tyre within 100 meters of picking up a car.

Warped disks can also cause vibration, and refurbished or refinished alloys can cause problems if the mating service between the wheel and the hub aren't immaculate as the heat transfer isn't uniform which can subsequently damage the disks.

So, my car has been in Edinburgh all week whilst Tesla attempt to diagnose and fix the vibration issue for the 3rd time.

What do you guys make of this text I received this morning?

Hi G, just had the technician back from final road test. We have performed extensive checks and we feel that there is a slight improvement but the vibration has been not totally eliminated. I am sending you a document via email with the description of all the steps taken to address this and conclusion of both our Workshop Supervisor and Master Technician. We would like to return your car so you can test it again. Should you not be happy with the results, all we can offer is to arrange for you a test drive of a demo car with same specs and similar mileage for comparison. If you still feel an excessive vibration, we will also be happy to go on a road test together with 2 different vehicles to compare,but this will need to be arranged for when COVID restrictions will be lifted.
Please let me know if you would like to come and pick the car up or would like it delivered however,should you choose the latter, I cannot guarantee this will happen today due to driver availability. Thanks

I saw this today, and I'm afraid it's the car. I tested two other cars with my local SC chief mechanic: Model 3 Body High Frequency Vibration . That's why they are suggesting testing other cars, so that you understand that everyone is on the same boat and lower expectations.

It will be worse with high tire pressure, new tires, certain types of roads. Also I have found that most people don't take notice as other road induced vibration are more "vibrant/energetic". I'm not a mechanic but from research, advice and some tests, it's probably related to the suspension.

I'm thinking of changing the suspension or simply selling the car. I'm a bit tired of having to handle basic things that a car in this price bracket shouldn't have.

+1 issues at 60mph upon collection but all smoothed out after 300 miles. 600miles later and still well

I had mine sorted last week with front wheel rebalance and tracking corrected as it was pulling left after collecting in Dec with vibration at motorway speed. Improved over time but was always Something to be addressed.

Also, coming from a 2019 model 3, there’s definitely a vibration from the heat pump that can be felt. Not saying this is the issue, just a note.

Reactions: Avendit
I think I’ve also experienced this vibration on my new M3. It’s a very minor vibration through the wheel at certain speeds. It feels like the car just transmits a lot of tyre vibration from the wheels up to the steering wheel. I notice it more the harder I hold the wheel. If I’m resting my hands on the wheel whilst on AP, I don’t notice it at all.

My 2018 never had this, so if it is all the cars it's something new. I'd accept it if there was an explanation, but not just a 'its as good as it gets'. I can feel the road on rough surfaces, but it's feedback, not vibration, and only shows on rough roads.

I've swapped suspension setup now, so not sure how useful it is, but if anyone in Edinburgh (or coming/going from the service center) wants to do an A/B test with an older car, feel free to ping me.

I do wonder if it's transport issues that aren't shaking out due to lack of miles? Ie flat spots on the tyres. Expensive experiment tho. Wonder if the SC would back a bet - if it fixes the probs they pay, if it doesn't you pay?

If it's a problem on lots of cars, it only needs diagnosed once...

These are very unfamiliar experiences to me. Something has changed if this is happening. My September 2019 SR+ does not transmit vibrations through the steering ... in fact to the extent that when I first got the car I was thinking it must be "steer by wire" with no direct mechanical connection to the steering wheel! Even if I hit a puddle at the side of the road where other cars would cause a strong tug on the wheel I don't get any transmitted force.

Reactions: MrBadger
Update...

I'm now at an impasse with Tesla Edinburgh service centre and so I've had to escalate this with Black Horse, where I will ultimately be looking to reject the car since Tesla have now told me they've exhausted the list of things they are willing to check/do.

I've had the car road tested by two different independent garages now too. The one recommended by someone here, which is 2 doors down from Tesla Edinburgh. And another located in Denny. Both have said that they too feel the vibration, and neither agree that this would be considered 'as per design'. The garage in Denny actually commented that he felt he could also here it too. I too feel that. I think it might be the vibration conducting through your arms from steering wheel to your head though. He also joked about having white finger after the drive!

Yesterday I test drove my mates LR 2021 up and down the M8 and he drove mine. We both agreed that his drive is smooth, and mine vibrates. So I'm definitely not going mad! He collected his car the same day as me.

I've spoken with the owner (Craig) from Skidz, falkirk about my woes and have now booked the car in this Friday. I want him to check the current balance as is, then remove the tyres and inspect them all internally. Tesla refused to do this for me. Christ knows why. Craig said, I'd be surprised the number of tyres he's seen which have this foam noise insulation, and have been stored outside in the rain. He said that the symptoms I am complaining about are exactly what happens when the foam is wet. Either way, I just feel I need to rule this out. He also said the tyre can balance out on the machine, but still have a defect where its not a perfect circle or something. He's assured me that they'll perform a thorough inspection of all wheels and tyres etc then rebalance for me. It's worth a shot

Fingers crossed

Update...

I'm now at an impasse with Tesla Edinburgh service centre and so I've had to escalate this with Black Horse, where I will ultimately be looking to reject the car since Tesla have now told me they've exhausted the list of things they are willing to check/do.

I've had the car road tested by two different independent garages now too. The one recommended by someone here, which is 2 doors down from Tesla Edinburgh. And another located in Denny. Both have said that they too feel the vibration, and neither agree that this would be considered 'as per design'. The garage in Denny actually commented that he felt he could also here it too. I too feel that. I think it might be the vibration conducting through your arms from steering wheel to your head though. He also joked about having white finger after the drive!

Yesterday I test drove my mates LR 2021 up and down the M8 and he drove mine. We both agreed that his drive is smooth, and mine vibrates. So I'm definitely not going mad! He collected his car the same day as me.

I've spoken with the owner (Craig) from Skidz, falkirk about my woes and have now booked the car in this Friday. I want him to check the current balance as is, then remove the tyres and inspect them all internally. Tesla refused to do this for me. Christ knows why. Craig said, I'd be surprised the number of tyres he's seen which have this foam noise insulation, and have been stored outside in the rain. He said that the symptoms I am complaining about are exactly what happens when the foam is wet. Either way, I just feel I need to rule this out. He also said the tyre can balance out on the machine, but still have a defect where its not a perfect circle or something. He's assured me that they'll perform a thorough inspection of all wheels and tyres etc then rebalance for me. It's worth a shot

Fingers crossed
Don't you need to swap a complete set of wheels and tyres from a non vibrating car? It could be faulty rim(s).