Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration/juddering at motorway speed Model 3 2021 facelift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've personally tried various pressure. 45,42,32,39. None make it better nor worse. Mine has done 1928 miles. Neither improving nor worsening through the miles. Not sure my mates. His millage will definitely be a lot lower than mine. Possibly half.
Have you thought about doing an A/B test by swapping the wheels from your mates car to yours? Would be a quick test to see if the vibes go away. I feel they might. And if they do, then you have proof to show to Tesla Edinburgh.

I've personally tried various pressure. 45,42,32,39. None make it better nor worse. Mine has done 1928 miles. Neither improving nor worsening through the miles. Not sure my mates. His millage will definitely be a lot lower than mine. Possibly half.

In my case, going from 44 to 39, helped. And the LR with 19'' was better, but still had this kind of vibrations. Keep in mind that the LR that you tested could have 18'' and low pressure... that would make a very big diference.

OK, I don't want to speak too soon. BUT!! I think it may be fixed... Its certainly ALOT BETTER. I took it to Skidz, in falkirk this morning whom took off all tyres so as to inspect the foam inserts. All dry, all fine. However, they said that the wheels had been balanced in a really odd manner by tesla. Counterbalanced or something?! He tried to explain to me something about chasing the weight from 12 o clock to 6 o'clock! Meh!.. And also said he'd never seen the Type of foam weights before that tesla had used (pics attached) . He wasn't convinced of their accuracy given they are cut to size. He balanced it properly, and so far, on the small amount of time I've had to motorway test it, it seems to have a marked improvement! Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210319_103153.jpg
    IMG_20210319_103153.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20210319_103155.jpg
    IMG_20210319_103155.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Moderator comment - posts merged from "It pays to complain!" to keep underlying subject together

Since picking up my m3p in December I've had a catalogue of issues with the car resulting in three visits back to the SC. Thankfully all resolved now. However I was on the verge of rejecting it after their 3 failed attempts to resolve steering wheel vibration. That I had finally had to have fixed by a third party wheel and tyre shop. Anyway. Issues all fixed now and Black Horse have just offered me a £500 compensation payment. Unexpected, but gratefully received. I was just hoping for my 80 quid to be reimbursed for wheel balancing!

So if you have ongoing issues make sure you apply pressure to Blackhorse too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got it sorted! Did the tyre so day what the problem was? Did it take new tyre, or just a really good balance?

Multiple things. There was a slight lift in one front tyre, so that was moved to rear. All 4 wheels had been "counterbalanced" wheel shop said this was very bad technique that no one uses anymore because you end up chasing weights. Weights used were weird and inaccurate. Looked like a foam chew bar that had been cut from a large reel. Tye tesla report claimed the worst wheel only needed 15g,yet I weighed their largest weight when I got home. It was 46g. Just a bad job all round!

there's NO way this many people have an actual ISSUE with balancing. like one of the posters said, if the problem ONLY happens when drifting out of lane, its the lane departure avoidance set on WARNING vs OFF/assist. the steering wheel vibrates.

I happened across this thread because I literally swapped my barely used tires for NEW tires and noticed this issue since DAY 1 but didnt research it until now.

turning off lane departure solved the problem immediately.

those having an issue while just driving past a certain speed, and constant wheel rumbling clearly have an issue

Just to add a data point to this discussion. My Dec 2020-delivered 2021 LR on 19" doesn't have this vibration. Hankook tyres, pressures consistent at 44 psi since collection from Edinburgh. So, they definitely don't "all do that, Sir".

Pretty appalling that Tesla can't diagnose the underlying issue, especially if it turns out that their wheel balancing techniques are dubious.

Reactions: gdallas
Hello, i have this high frequency vibration in the steering wheel on highway. Tesla did a wheels alignment and then later a wheels balance and the problem is still there (2000km). It's a Model 3 2021 Performance with the 20" Pirrelli tires.

My previous 2019 LR was perfect, no vibration in the steering wheel...

Hope Tesla will find a solution for me !

turning off lane departure solved the problem immediately.

those having an issue while just driving past a certain speed, and constant wheel rumbling clearly have an issue
Has to be one of the most boneheaded options I’ve ever seen in a vehicle. I would’ve never imagined in my right mind that anyone would design a vehicle to shake the steering wheel as an alert!

Hello, i have this high frequency vibration in the steering wheel on highway. Tesla did a wheels alignment and then later a wheels balance and the problem is still there (2000km). It's a Model 3 2021 Performance with the 20" Pirrelli tires.

My previous 2019 LR was perfect, no vibration in the steering wheel...

Hope Tesla will find a solution for me !

did you find a solution or was it the lane departure warning?