Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibrations from the rear? Around 30-50mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my model X down to the service center for a minor vibration from the rear I think. It’s not crazy but enough to get my belly fat jiggling. Definitely feeling it through the seat. Not from the yoke. First time the tech couldn’t feel it but then went on a test drive with them and you can clearly feel the vibration on the front passenger seat. So we confirmed it exists.

Tech said they need to see if they changed the specs on the car and if it’s as designed. I’m like ehhhh my $30k Honda Civic rides smoother. By design that it shakes like my massage chair?

My comparison was it feels like a flat spot on the tire when the car has been sitting too long. But it’s not going away. Seems like shake interval slows at low speeds and lessens at higher speeds (because it’s vibrating so fast that you just don’t feel it? If it makes sense). I hope a simple tire swap will fix this.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yeah I have the same issue. My 2018 subaru vibrates way less than my refreshed x I just got end of June. I booked an appointment for it and the tech mentioned he would check alignment, tire balance, loose foam in the tire, etc...However he drove another refreshed Model x and said he felt similar vibrations and marked it as "within spec" and didn't check anything.

Booked another service appointment to go over it again with a different tech as it drives me crazy when driving it. In the mean time I'm gonna buy winter tires, change them and see if issue still reproduces since theres so many possibilities.

Seems to happening on a lot of refreshed S/X which has the thread in S section here:

Did you do anything further for your issue?

I picked up my MX yesterday Aug 10 and noticed the same vibration almost immediately after pulling out of the Tesla parking lot. Definitely feel it in the seats. It seems to be lesser at higher speeds but very prominent at average driving speeds. I wonder if the tires are permanently flat spotted as it took 12-13 days for my car to come from Fremont to the East coast. Do we know if they will swap tires under warranty? Could it be related to the drive shaft/axle? Very frustrating because I like everything else about the car.

Last edited:
Yeah I have the same issue. My 2018 subaru vibrates way less than my refreshed x I just got end of June. I booked an appointment for it and the tech mentioned he would check alignment, tire balance, loose foam in the tire, etc...However he drove another refreshed Model x and said he felt similar vibrations and marked it as "within spec" and didn't check anything.

Booked another service appointment to go over it again with a different tech as it drives me crazy when driving it. In the mean time I'm gonna buy winter tires, change them and see if issue still reproduces since theres so many possibilities.

Seems to happening on a lot of refreshed S/X which has the thread in S section here:

Did you do anything further for your issue?
Great! Let me know if swapping to Winter tires fixes it for you. Really hope it does.

First of all, never take your car to a Tesla SC unless you have no other choice! In this case you should take it to a place that deals with tires and suspension day in and day out. It sounds like a wheel balance issue, which is easy to check and easy to fix. Certainly where I would start.

I got Road force balancing done at a local tire shop and they declared two of the tires defective. This is on my 3days old MX built in July 2022 with 100miles on it.
34C97B8A-5D0A-4C9B-86CD-ADA0A9A6BCF3.jpeg

I got Road force balancing done at a local tire shop and they declared two of the tires defective. This is on my 3days old MX built in July 2022 with 100miles on it. View attachment 840186

Unless you've hit something, wheels don't usually need to be re-balanced. If your tire wear is so bad it needs a new alignment, it points to something else like a bad alignment which is causing the wear.

I plan to, after I replace these garbage Conti’s with new Michelins next week
I would suggest getting an alignment done before you replace tires. Teslas are NOT aligned before leaving the factory, and frequently are off quite a bit. I have had no problems with the OEM Continental tires, typically get far more then 40,000 miles from them, if the vehicle is properly aligned. A good alignment will also reduce energy consumption a lot.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I would suggest getting an alignment done before you replace tires. Teslas are NOT aligned before leaving the factory, and frequently are off quite a bit. I have had no problems with the OEM Continental tires, typically get far more then 40,000 miles from them, if the vehicle is properly aligned. A good alignment will also reduce energy consumption a lot.
Agree on the alignment. But I have to replace these two defective tires anyways and there is no way I am sticking with the same Contis. So I plan to switch to Michelins on Monday and do the alignment during the same visit. Hopefully this solves the vibration.

Agree on the alignment. But I have to replace these two defective tires anyways and there is no way I am sticking with the same Contis. So I plan to switch to Michelins on Monday and do the alignment during the same visit. Hopefully this solves the vibration.
I’d be a tiny bit concerned the brand new tires that were found “bad” by the shop selling you replacements.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I’d be a tiny bit concerned the brand new tires that were found “bad” by the shop selling you replacements.
I am very happy with the tireshop. They gave me an appointment the same day (unlike Tesla which was a minimum 3 weeks) and their final recommendation was to go back to the SC and ask Tesla to replace the tires under warranty using the Road force results. Shop manager knows someone at the SC and offered to call them to see if they can get me an expedited appointment. I declined because I am 99% sure they will replace with the same garbage tire (which I don’t want) and that’s assuming they agree to replace in the first place. I am also not purchasing the tires from them. Ordered from Tirerack instead and will have the shop mount/ balance and do the four wheel alignment.

Having owned several high end luxury ICE cars, I am actually more concerned about the complete lack of customer service from Tesla SC and their sub par quality control.

Update:

First SC visit: they couldn’t find anything wrong with the car and everything is with spec. Gave me back my car.

Second SC visit: took the tech for a ride and confirmed vibration is there. Went ahead to rebalance the tires. Not sure what was done exactly because I still felt it when I picked it up.

Third SC visit: road test by tech confirmed vibration is very prominent. And road force balancing was not within Tesla spec. Went ahead and replaced rear tires. (What happened the second time)

Current Status: vibration is very minimal now but still feel it.