Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria Charging the Regions EV network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Echuca about to come online this week..
FEB42CD6-A5EC-403B-BEAA-B71CEE74CD23.jpeg

Reactions: cafz
The mix of the 25kW Delta and 50kW Tritium (based on historical CTR installs though it could be 75kW) is interesting. Presume it's down to cost of each unit.
I think this site was earmarked for 2x 25 kW originally. Presumably they have the capacity for 50 kW so they figured, this site won’t be that busy, but let’s load share all these connectors over that connection. Mostly it will be 1 vehicle at a time but at least if others are waiting they can plug in and get started!

The picture of the Delta charger at Echuca only shows one connector..
Compare to the same unit at Harcourt, where there is also the 2nd Chademo plug on the left (blue) and numbered stickers.
So it's possibly a software limitation in the Evie app - I note it's showing as Maintenance on the Chademo charger.

Also not sure of the speed of the bigger Tritium unit. Evie/Plugshare apps say 50/46kW.. but the first check-in from a Kona lists 57kW.

We're going down on a friday night, staying 2 nights. I looked it up and if I divert via the Chargefox in Moe, it's a extra 30mins and it's ultrafast. If I go via the Cape it's 20mins extra but reliability hasn't been the best there in the past. Actually and there is the Evie in Dandenong which is like a 5min diversion off the freeway, obviously 200km away.

Regardless i'll slow 10A charge overnight which should be fine.

It'd be nice if there was a 32A socket down there,,

Model 3, LR, So we ended up charging to 90%, left inner east melb and drove straight down got there with quite a decent charge left. Charged overnight on both fri and saturday nights, did about 25kw each night quite easily on the 240v 10A charger. Charged up to 98% and drove back today, I guess that's why you get the larger battery pack. Quite uneventful really except for some of the dirt tracks which had quite a few pot holes to avoid and slowing down for wombats and emu's but nice AWD did the trick nicely on the dirt.

Reactions: moa999
And per @Chuq on Facebook. Also added as Coming Soon:
Kyneton
Shepparton
Sea Lake
Ouyen
Swan Hill

Think this gets close to the original list.. albeit some with higher power chargers

So the tender document is available -
  • 2x 50 kW: Ouyen
  • 1x 50 kW: Maryborough, Kerang
  • 2x 25 kW: Robinvale, Echuca, Bendigo, Shepparton
  • 1x 25 kW: Swan Hill, Cohuna, Inglewood, Newbridge, Wedderburn, Wycheproof, Sea Lake, Castlemaine, Harcourt, Whittlesea, Sale
Remember, the Vic Government is contributing $664k for this.

It's interesting that of the 10 sites added to Plugshare as noted by @moa999, the comments on all of them say 1x 50 kW. We know some will be different (Mooroopna is 2x 25 kW), and Ouyen was 2x 50 kW in the original plan (I think every site is the same or improved on the original plan).

Also note that all "50 kW" sites in this network are RTM75 units, configured to 50 kW, with future capacity to upgrade to 75 kW, and future upgrade to enable both connectors to be used at once.

Reactions: Crustyman
DC fast charger in the Prom would require considerable infrastructure. Tidal River is off-grid! And even e.g. Meeniyan probably doesn't have a big enough power supply to handle (a few?) fast chargers, again necessitating infrastructure costs likely well beyond what is available (e.g. decent community battery, which might well present many other local opportunities but still, costs a lot at present).