Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria: Contract of sale vs ZEV subsidy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I've tried calling ZEV and Tesla and getting very mixed messaging on both. So this is a question for those who've actually deposited/paid their Model 3 – when you leave a deposit on the website, when did you receive a full contract of sale?

Was planning to pay a deposit today, but the ZEV subsidy applies when the car is delivered within 6 months of contract.

With the 5-7 months delays right now, if the contract is sale is done at deposit time, the car might not be delivered in time to get the subsidy. If the contract is written up later (eg when the car is in production) then it should be no problem.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I've tried calling ZEV and Tesla and getting very mixed messaging on both. So this is a question for those who've actually deposited/paid their Model 3 – when you leave a deposit on the website, when did you receive a full contract of sale?

Was planning to pay a deposit today, but the ZEV subsidy applies when the car is delivered within 6 months of contract.

With the 5-7 months delays right now, if the contract is sale is done at deposit time, the car might not be delivered in time to get the subsidy. If the contract is written up later (eg when the car is in production) then it should be no problem.

Thanks in advance!
The $350 isn't a deposit, it's an "order fee". The "motor vehicle order agreement" document is dated when you pay the order fee and accept the terms. I don't know if that's considered the "full contract of sale" - it includes the terms & conditions and you are signing an "agreement to purchase", but the final invoice is described as one of the documents making up the agreement and you typically don't get that until a few weeks before delivery.

Last edited:
Well, I've just ordered one anyway, I figure worst case scenario it's $350 in gin money gone :p

Had a deposit on a Nissan Z which I've cancelled due to beyond useless sales reps not answering my calls or emails. Model 3 will probably be a better daily driver than the Z, and certainly more fuel efficient than my current cayenne turbo!

So placed deposit on 2/3/22, just received an email from Solar Victoria today 5/3/22 saying Tesla have applied for the subsidy on my behalf. Pretty happy so far with the order process, received a few calls from the sales advisor this week updating me on what's happening.