TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Victorian Destination Chargers expanding

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by GregHudson, Jul 19, 2015.

1. GregHudson

GregHudson Member

I just noticed today there are now DC's at RACV Torquay and Healesville Country Club, plus a few others...
    Recent addition at Dinner Plain (Mt Hotham ski field) also welcomed.

Cheers, Greg.

2. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

The Healesville Country Club one was there last November when I visited. They've probably just put it on the map

3. ixat

ixat Member

They did a demo day ta Torquay for RACV members last month, they also filmed that short One Billion Miles video on the great ocean road that weekend.

Really need some destination chargers up at the snow ASAP, about to hit peak season. Carparks at Falls and Hotham would be good for owners.

4. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I don't think that need them at the top of the mountain, much of the energy used on the way up will be regenerated on the way back down, but by the time you drive from Melbourne to Bright in winter you'll have between 12 and 7% battery capacity left, not enough to get up the mountain.

5. Zoltrix77

Zoltrix77 Member

Sounds like a Supercharger in Seymour would be useful....

6. ixat

ixat Member

True, but not all of the energy, if there were a destination charger or two at both Hotham and Falls Creek that'd allow for day trips at least, park your car and charge for a few hours then move it elsewhere in the carpark. Just something to top up Of course a SC at Bright would be the best solution but a destination charger would help in the meantime, possibly allowing considering you'd be going up hill and most likely having the heaters on pretty high.

Yup, they'll probably have a small one in Bright anyway (eventually) due to all the mountains and skifields. It is upto the owners to tell the Tesla staff they plan on many ski trips and get demand up.

7. Chuq

Chuq Member

8. brewster

brewster Member

Would any of you guys consider venturing to Portland if there was a destination charger here.
    I've made contact with a local proprietor and provided him with a spiel and a copy of the form.
    I'm not associated with the business, I thought it just represents a good fit.

http://www.richmondhenty.com.au/

9. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Yes but I'd make 3 trips to Adelaide in the car in the next 6 months if there were superchargers there. Destination chargers are good but really make 2 of those trips impractical at the moment

10. Chuq

Chuq Member

Question - does Tesla query or survey their customers on things like this ("where you would travel to if there were superchargers?") - either at the time of sale or on an ongoing basis?

Obviously they can see where the cars go, but that will only show them the routes used where owners are willing to "put up with" slower chargers or destination chargers. There may be routes that go completely untravelled because of what you mention above.

11. cdfleischmann

cdfleischmann Member

I talked to James from Tesla, and he was very keen to hear where they should put the "destination chargers"... I think that's their first priority before the big SC roll-out outside of major cities.

12. ixat

ixat Member

#12 ixat, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    I won't be owning a Tesla until after the Model 3 is released, so someone tell James to try get a destination charger or two down at Tidal River in Wilson's Promontory in the next few years. It'd be in the national park so I guess it'd require it's own Solar power, unless a deal was done with Parks Victoria. Throw in Phillip Island too, open up the coast in the east of the state, although I suppose Phillip Island could have chargers installed at restaurants or other places, no such option available in Tidal River, given it is a national park.

13. GregHudson

GregHudson Member

I'd like to see DC's in every Westfield and Stockland Shopping Center. Between them, they cover most of Oz.
    I have already spoken to Stockland at 'The Pines' in Doncaster East Vic, but I feel they need further prodding.
    The message needs to go to the top...

Cheers, Greg.

14. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

At least 2 Stocklands in Sydney have Chargepoint chargers. Mind you, actually getting to use them is an issue, either they are in use or are ICED.

15. GregHudson

GregHudson Member

Can u plug a Tesla into those ChargePoint things ?
    I saw one at a Nissan dealer, and it didn't look compatible...

GH

16. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

Chargepoint stations are J1772 (type 1) which won't plug directly into our Mennekes (type 2) sockets - You need an adapter

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

the adaptor cable works well, and yes with it you can charge at Chargepoint. i have done so.

18. timpoo

timpoo Member

And for those new to it - it has been engineered to provide full 30A charging from J1772 stations, even though normally you would only get 16A charging from any other adapter.

I also heard they just got it back in stock...

19. brewster

brewster Member

Does that require the dual charger to get 30A?

20. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Amps times volts equals watts. You have a 10 kW charger on board. So 32x240 = 7.6 odd kW. Only single charger needed.