Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victorian Destination Chargers expanding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did a demo day ta Torquay for RACV members last month, they also filmed that short One Billion Miles video on the great ocean road that weekend.

Really need some destination chargers up at the snow ASAP, about to hit peak season. Carparks at Falls and Hotham would be good for owners.

They did a demo day ta Torquay for RACV members last month, they also filmed that short One Billion Miles video on the great ocean road that weekend.

Really need some destination chargers up at the snow ASAP, about to hit peak season. Carparks at Falls and Hotham would be good for owners.
I don't think that need them at the top of the mountain, much of the energy used on the way up will be regenerated on the way back down, but by the time you drive from Melbourne to Bright in winter you'll have between 12 and 7% battery capacity left, not enough to get up the mountain.

I don't think that need them at the top of the mountain, much of the energy used on the way up will be regenerated on the way back down, but by the time you drive from Melbourne to Bright in winter you'll have between 12 and 7% battery capacity left, not enough to get up the mountain.
True, but not all of the energy, if there were a destination charger or two at both Hotham and Falls Creek that'd allow for day trips at least, park your car and charge for a few hours then move it elsewhere in the carpark. Just something to top up Of course a SC at Bright would be the best solution but a destination charger would help in the meantime, possibly allowing considering you'd be going up hill and most likely having the heaters on pretty high.

Sounds like a Supercharger in Seymour would be useful....

Yup, they'll probably have a small one in Bright anyway (eventually) due to all the mountains and skifields. It is upto the owners to tell the Tesla staff they plan on many ski trips and get demand up.

Yes but I'd make 3 trips to Adelaide in the car in the next 6 months if there were superchargers there.

Question - does Tesla query or survey their customers on things like this ("where you would travel to if there were superchargers?") - either at the time of sale or on an ongoing basis?

Obviously they can see where the cars go, but that will only show them the routes used where owners are willing to "put up with" slower chargers or destination chargers. There may be routes that go completely untravelled because of what you mention above.

Question - does Tesla query or survey their customers on things like this ("where you would travel to if there were superchargers?") - either at the time of sale or on an ongoing basis?

Obviously they can see where the cars go, but that will only show them the routes used where owners are willing to "put up with" slower chargers or destination chargers. There may be routes that go completely untravelled because of what you mention above.

I talked to James from Tesla, and he was very keen to hear where they should put the "destination chargers"... I think that's their first priority before the big SC roll-out outside of major cities.

I won't be owning a Tesla until after the Model 3 is released, so someone tell James to try get a destination charger or two down at Tidal River in Wilson's Promontory in the next few years. It'd be in the national park so I guess it'd require it's own Solar power, unless a deal was done with Parks Victoria. Throw in Phillip Island too, open up the coast in the east of the state, although I suppose Phillip Island could have chargers installed at restaurants or other places, no such option available in Tidal River, given it is a national park.

Last edited:
I talked to James from Tesla, and he was very keen to hear where they should put the "destination chargers"... I think that's their first priority before the big SC roll-out outside of major cities.

I'd like to see DC's in every Westfield and Stockland Shopping Center. Between them, they cover most of Oz.
I have already spoken to Stockland at 'The Pines' in Doncaster East Vic, but I feel they need further prodding.
The message needs to go to the top...

Cheers, Greg.