Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIDEO - 100,000 mile Model 3 report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I made a video of my Model 3, since I went over the 100,000 mile mark recently. I show how its battery is doing, talk about things that had to be fixed over the last 4-1/2 years, and make a few other comments along the way.

Anyone new to EVs or considering a Model 3 / Model Y purchase might find useful information in here.

Not addressed in the video -- Overall, I think my biggest complaint is that it was designed by people who clearly have never lived in an area that gets snow, ice, or road salt. Although the heater works well, it is too easy for the windows or door handles to freeze, and the traction control needs to have an option to be turned ALL THE WAY OFF for winter driving. The wheels spin on ice just the tiniest bit and it is cutting the power. Maybe with the traction control disabled, limit it to 100 horsepower so amateur drivers don't smoke the tires into oblivion, but get the traction control out of my way for snow and ice driving!!!

It is not at all like my good old 1971 Plymouth Valiant, a completely analog car with no nanny big brother is watching safety devices. With the Valiant, you could romp on the gas and horse it through and out of a 6 inch snow and ice covered parking lot with no problem. Not so with a Tesla.

Last edited:

I made a video of my Model 3, since I went over the 100,000 mile mark recently. I show how its battery is doing, talk about things that had to be fixed over the last 4-1/2 years, and make a few other comments along the way.

Anyone new to EVs or considering a Model 3 / Model Y purchase might find useful information in here.

Not addressed in the video -- Overall, I think my biggest complaint is that it was designed by people who clearly have never lived in an area that gets snow, ice, or road salt. Although the heater works well, it is too easy for the windows or door handles to freeze, and the traction control needs to have an option to be turned ALL THE WAY OFF for winter driving. The wheels spin on ice just the tiniest bit and it is cutting the power. Maybe with the traction control disabled, limit it to 100 horsepower so amateur drivers don't smoke the tires into oblivion, but get the traction control out of my way for snow and ice driving!!!

It is not at all like my good old 1971 Plymouth Valiant, a completely analog car with no nanny big brother is watching safety devices. With the Valiant, you could romp on the gas and horse it through and out of a 6 inch snow and ice covered parking lot with no problem. Not so with a Tesla.
Coming from years of driving ICE cars in the snow and ice and turning TC and stability control off, I would have completely agreed with you until I tried to drive my Model 3 Performance (on winter tires) in the snow in track mode (allows you to turn the TC and stability settings all the way off). It was nearly undriveable. I had to be extremely careful with the go pedal to keep it from spinning all 4 wheels. It's really fun for donuts in parking lots, but that's about it. Since then I leave everything on driving in the snow and it works great. EVs can adjust power output based on traction 1000 times a second vs. ICE that can only manage power changes about 2-3 times a second.

Ive tried traction control off on a Hyundai Kona in a slippery cold rain and it was pretty much useless. Sure they are completely different cars, Kona is FWD but fact is that they have simply too much power to keep the grip.

Coming from years of driving ICE cars in the snow and ice and turning TC and stability control off, I would have completely agreed with you until I tried to drive my Model 3 Performance (on winter tires) in the snow in track mode (allows you to turn the TC and stability settings all the way off). It was nearly undriveable. I had to be extremely careful with the go pedal to keep it from spinning all 4 wheels. It's really fun for donuts in parking lots, but that's about it. Since then I leave everything on driving in the snow and it works great. EVs can adjust power output based on traction 1000 times a second vs. ICE that can only manage power changes about 2-3 times a second.

I'd disagree. A couple weeks ago we got around 6-8" of fresh snow. I drove around the streets with my snow/ice tires, in track mode, with a 50/50 split and it was handling wonderfully. I actually added a touch of RC which would let me maintain a sideways drift around corners without losing control.

But yes, I really wish the Tesla AWD was like Subaru....