TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Video: 2014 | SpaceX Year in Review

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by doug, Dec 31, 2014.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Bobfitz1

Bobfitz1 Member

Fantastic! Thanks Doug! Do you know band/song playing on video?

3. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Siri says "Big Boy" by Raphael Lake
    Big Boy - YouTube

4. bluenation

bluenation Member

amazing progress

honestly i havent been following space x too much...anyone know what's in store for them, in 2015?

5. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

A lot more launches. The biggest thing for SpaceX is the steps toward reusability. They will try to land their booster sometime next week. That will lead to other tests and a re-launch of a previously used booster stage. Also the first Falcon Heavy should be launched this year. Last year was big for SpaceX and this year should prove to be even bigger. I would say that by the end of this year every other launch company will be quaking in their boots and scrambling to see if they can make a reusable rocket.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

In about 5 days they are hoping to land Stage 1 on a floating barge thingamajig in the middle of the ocean, while the rest of the rocket heads to the ISS. If they land this puppy...there are not words.

7. bluenation

bluenation Member

sometimes i wonder which of his two companies are making faster progress...its incredible.

but then, i see the supercharger map and think 'ok it's gotta be tesla'

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#8 ecarfan, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Both Tesla and SpaceX are doing amazing things, but when SpaceX returns and lands a first stage this year (I am confident they will do it this year, if not next week) that will be a game-changing milestone for humanity as it will enable dramatically lower cost space exploration and change the course of human history: we will colonize Mars, as opposed to just sending a few people and bringing them back and then stopping because it's too costly.

As much as I admire Tesla, I cannot imagine anything Tesla could accomplish that will compare to it.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If Tesla actually succeeds in their goal of obtaining sustainable transportation--even if it isn't Tesla that finishes the job--that will be just as big a leap although in a different way. (Tesla's goal is 90% political, whereas SpaceX's goal is 90% technical.)

10. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I disagree that Tesla's goal is mostly political. It is also a fairly technical goal. You have to build a compelling car that achieves all the things that customers are wanting. In the case of Tesla they are also creating things that people didn't know they wanted but once Tesla showed it to them then realized it was superior to what is out there. We do know that Tesla is making electric cars compelling. That is pushing all the other manufacturers to consider EVs as a viable future. We don't know whether it would have happened anyway. If Tesla wasn't around then it could be that HFCV's would have the time to catch on and would not need to be as clean as they are pushing themselves. Without SpaceX there would be no reusability for at least another 20 to 30 years, I think.

It all becomes a game of "what if." Depending upon what happens in the future both can be equally big leap.

11. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

#11 Cosmacelf, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    When SpaceX achieves reusability, it will be no less a milestone than the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk. It will usher in true planetary spaceflight and colonization.

We are witnessing history that occurs once in a hundred years.

Jan. 6 at 6:18 a.m. EST is the planned liftoff of the next SpaceX rocket.

12. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I'm pretty sure you mean Space X

13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Wups, fixed.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

No argument there. My point was that rocket science is harder than car science. There's no attitude change on the rocket side, just the technical part of making rockets reusable. The political part of the car side means changing people's attitudes about electric cars, installing charging stations for trips, giving competition to the dealer cartel model, etc. Certainly there is a technical component involved in the design and manufacture of the car, but the political side is much larger.