Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video Ads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GoTslaGo

Learning Member
Dec 25, 2015
US
Hi @danny and @doug

I've noticed on the desktop that often when I try to reply to a post I get episodes where the site will not allow me to type or do anything. I would often be able to type one or two letters before it just "hangs".

Took me a while, but I realized it was the video ad on the bottom of the site. It was taking forever to load (and often didn't load at all). During the time that the logo was "spinning" it was preventing me from entering any information and locking up the site.

Of course when it first happened I had no idea why, and it was only I got frustrated and scrolled the site up and down that I realized there was a video ad trying to load on the BOTTOM, below everything else (and off my screen). Now I've learned to hit the "x" button on the upper left to close the ad out. This allows me to type and enter posts.

However this is a recurring theme with the desktop at this point.

So if you do chose to continue with this ad system, please know that it is interfering with the site usability. Also since it is at the bottom, many people may not see it, and may assume it is the website.

If you do continue to use this ad system, please keep the ability to kill it manually since this is the only way I can post in peace. If it is not killable, then the site becomes unusable for me on the desktop.
As far as I recall, I do not see these on the IPad/IPhone versions.

• Helpful
Reactions: danny
testing testing testing one two three. This is working better than before.

Testing, testing one two three. Definitely working better. Not affecting my typing now...

Here's a screen shot:

Video Ads.jpg

Testing, testing.

Typically what I saw is the above. The logo in the middle would spin, and would stop my typing. Whatever you did @doug, it fixed it!

Thanks!

Here's the process with an actual video, seems to be working well to.

Ok, I take that back. After the ad played, it started acting up again.

Here's the ad with a video:

VideoAds2.jpg

Here's the ad after the video played, and affecting my typing again.

VideoAds3.jpg

I swear, if those video ads don't stop popping up a couple of minutes after a page refresh and blaring sound at me, I'll just stop reading TMC. That crosses a line.

Edit: it seems to be just one particular ad, a movie preview. Even more obnoxious behavior - it tries to scroll the page so you can see it. Sometimes it comes up on both the top and bottom of the page so it jitters back and forth trying to show you both copies at the same time. Whoever designed this ad is going to be first against the wall come the revolution. (Hitchhiker's Guide reference to the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchMitch
The ad rigmarole got to the point that I finally became a SUPPORTING member a couple of weeks ago. Best $$ I've spent in a long time. Voilà, ALL of the ads immediately go away. After almost five years of daily "scouring" the forums, and an inbred aversion to paying for internet content, (saving for a Tesla you know! ) I've been kicking myself that I hadn't done it MUCH sooner. Everything is sooo much faster and smoother. DO IT - DO IT - DO IT!

Now, where did I leave my towel?

P.S. I'd rather sit through a Vogon poetry reading than actually click on an ad.