Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made a quick video after my AP1 vehicle and AP2 vehicle got the 2018.6.1 update to show autopilot side by side. My commute has a ton of cresting hills and sharp curves. Couldn't wait to see how it handled some of them. I'll keep testing this, especially after the next update the electrek has been teasing. Can't wait to see how it improves AP1 and AP2 driving. But until then...

I appreciate your effort but don’t think its comparable when one video is in the daylight and other at night. I would recommend doing both video back to back to give conditions more comparable. Again, appreciate your effort!
I thought about that but driving one way in the day it rained hard and the night was clear, the next night was clear and in the day it rained like crazy. I’ll keep recording under as close to similar conditions as I can but the rain isn’t supposed to stop until next week, and I’ll be ready when it does!

That’ll be next. I can’t seem to get a matching day or night that isn’t pouring down rain and making both autopilots useless. This coming weekend is supposed to be nice I’ll give it a shot then!
Maybe drive both AP1 and AP2 following each other ~0.5 miles apart - same conditions, even similar cars coming in opposite directions, then sync the videos to compare.

Ap2 getting closer. Still hunts over crest of hills and doesn’t slow enough going into sharp curves but getting way closer. Almost at parity on back roads. Looking forward to the next update. I have a feeling it will be a big improvement for both ap 1 and 2.
Nice job with th video. Did you notice a significant improvement for AP2 in this release or was it gradual?

This format has great potential and your post-processing is great. Too bad about the day-night issue, but you can't control the weather! You might work out a mount for the camera to keep all pertinent information available at all times. There were several times I wanted to see lane lines on the display, but the camera had moved and we couldn't see them. It would be much better (and no doubt safer) to have the camera mounted in a consistent, optimized direction.

I love the presentation. Keep it up!

That’ll be next. I can’t seem to get a matching day or night that isn’t pouring down rain and making both autopilots useless. This coming weekend is supposed to be nice I’ll give it a shot then!

See my video link in this post. I found AP2 totally usable in rain using Rain-X

Love your format as well. Gave me a few ideas for the future.

Reactions: fasteddie7
Please put a strip of white tape at the top of the steering wheel with the wheels straight ahead. The steering wheel was too dark to see what it was doing. I have AP1 and the ping pong steering at the crest of a hill is beyond annoying. That tells me they are not computing a true course to follow but are trying to follow the lines immediately in front of the car like a new driver.

One cool benefit I saw of seeing a day and night video in sync was that it REALLY demonstrates how much just the headlights show and will enable HD maps with 100s of reference points to pinpoint and localize your car!

Check out a couple of ORB-SLAM2 example videos. Amazing grabbing points that demonstrate you don't need LIDAR to create HD maps and you can use basic cameras.

Driving and mapping

Walking through hallways and staircases to get a two-floor view

2ZolpvI.jpg

2ZolpvI.jpg

o7NzUqp.jpg

I managed to get some more footage around this crazy weather we’ve had lately. Matching times of day/night. Results seem to be similar. Ap1 is much more graceful slowing into sharp curves, but still hunts over crest of hills. Ap2 is a little more confident over crests of hills, but really barrels through curves too fast.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and P100DHG.