Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

video compression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK I'm wondering if you guys can help out.

I'm trying to make archive copies of some of the shows that were on previously for a couple of members on the site.

Normally, I take the file from my PVR, which is just raw MPEG2 transport stream. I use a package called DVR Studio Pro from Haenlein Software, which allows me to edit the file and export to standard MPEG / MPEG2 files in one hit.

This works well enough, but there is a problem with aspect ratios. Most of the TV programming we get in the UK is 14:9 or 16:9 widescreen. The software picks this up, but just to make sure I check that the flags are set. The resulting files do play back in Windows Media Player Classic correctly, but Windows Media Player and Quicktime do not pick up the flag and so it plays back in squashed up 4:3. Interestingly, as you have seen, Youtube's conversion process also correctly identifies the files as widescreen.

Has anyone seen similar effects to this with MPEGs they make? Any idea why WMP Classic gets it right and not others? There is a long and painful process that the MPEG TS files can be converted manually, but I don't have all the software or time to try it at the moment. I'm hoping one of you will say "just run it through X and you won't have the problem"...

I know what you are talking about but I don't have a good answer for you. Sometimes I find clips that play at the wrong aspect ratio and I have to do "manual override" on playback. Some players like VLC let you force an aspect.

There are so many tools out there, some of which may be able to manipulate the aspect settings. Make sure you check out VideoRedo.

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=5381
Aspect Ratio (Nero thinks 4:3 is 16:9) - VideoReDo MPEG Editor Forums
Why does VideoRedo change the aspect-ratio of my TiVo files??Dave, Hi. - alt.video.ptv.tivo | Google Groups