Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video conversion board (for rearview camera) extension to Dashcam / DVR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This conversion board is to tap the video signal from the rearview camera and then convert to the analog high definition (AHD) signal @720p30 for Dashcam / DVR application (something like blackvue)

Tesla_DVR_board_01.jpg

Tesla_DVR_01.jpg

it is possible to add the frontview camera to the board with both output to the 17" Tesla screen and dashcam. However, due to the limitation of the 17" Tesla screen, the maximum resolution can be displayed for (rearview/frontview) is 720p, therefore, the frontview camera has to be a 720p camera.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
What about a 2nd Tesla camera on the front? That’s what our camera switch PCB does — two Tesla cameras that are switchable via a remote or Homelink. And they display at same high res on the touchscreen.
It’s not necessary to use the Tesla camera for the front as it is expensive and is actually a rearview camera (mirror image).

The additional camera for our board is a 720p frontview camera with AHD video signal output of which is easy to buy, easier for installation as the cable cable is a normal AV cable

Help me clear up some confusion Bearbu. Do your cameras display on the Tesla touchscreen or do you need a separate monitor as shown in the video? Getting the Tesla rear camera to display on a separate monitor is one thing and ok, but getting non-Tesla cameras to display on the touchscreen is whole other accomplishment.

I am currently working on 2 projects for Tesla dedicated video signal conversion.

In this thread, the project is only to convert and project the video signal to external device such as Dashcam or digital mirror for recording issue (using the original Tesla rearview camera for rearview recording method for blackvue liked front+rear DVR product.

For better and more clear understanding, here is the block diagram FYI

E922AB65-2DBD-4AB4-8504-9FACD2B31006.jpeg

For the non-Tesla camera image displaying onto the in-car 17 inch Tesla touchscreen, project details is as follows :

Frontview (or multi-view) 720p camera for Model S

Help me clear up some confusion Bearbu. Do your cameras display on the Tesla touchscreen or do you need a separate monitor as shown in the video? Getting the Tesla rear camera to display on a separate monitor is one thing and ok, but getting non-Tesla cameras to display on the touchscreen is whole other accomplishment.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I am currently working on 2 projects for Tesla dedicated video signal conversion.

In this thread, the project is only to convert and project the video signal to external device such as Dashcam or digital mirror for recording issue (using the original Tesla rearview camera for rearview recording method for blackvue liked front+rear DVR product.

For better and more clear understanding, here is the block diagram FYI

View attachment 302708

For the non-Tesla camera image displaying onto the in-car 17 inch Tesla touchscreen, project details is as follows :

Frontview (or multi-view) 720p camera for Model S
I'd love to have one of these for each repeater camera feeding 2 small (5-7 inch) monitors for always-on blind-spot video displays.