Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Driver left scene of an accident / Update: driver caught

What should be done to the person if they are caught?

• Ban from purchasing a Tesla

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Jail (7+ days)

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Fine ($1k+)

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Throw the book at him/her (all of the above)

Votes: 168 62.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to go out to grab some food last night and did a double take... fairly serious damage to my Model 3, front - driver side.

Figured someone wasn't paying attention and accidentally hit & ran.

Check the Nest cam footage and found that the truth is far worse :-(

Now I understand it could be one of two things... 1) envy or 2) Tesla hater.

I'm leaning towards #2 as I don't understand how #1 would lead someone to do what was done - though I know it's definitely possible.

Sentry was not on... I usually park in the driveway... but got home a little late and was going to leave again.

Play it full screen to get the full effect of what was done...

Everyone in California jokes about “California Stops”; if you’re lucky people might slow down by five MPH for each sign.

I’ve had drivers honk, flip me off, even pass to make a left turn from the wrong side of the toad for the sheer effrontery of stopping for a full second.

This moron comes to a complete stop for *22* seconds (thank you video time stamp), then reoriented their car and stops. They pause for another five seconds, backup... do the hit, and then *immediately* blow the stop sign making a clear getaway. No “oh sh!t, what have I done?!” pause after.

Could drugs have been a factor? Absolutely. Was it deliberate? Oh yeah, it was deliberate.

I totally grok why people want to believe the best in people. I do too. However, I also recognize some people are just really screwed up for reasons well beyond my comprehension. I’ve seen too many weird things happen for no good reason, deliberate, with aforethought, and it’s just… stupid stuff. I’m guessing one of the follow ups will prove us cynics one way or another. ‍♂️

At least it looks like they were busted.

There are comments asking why would a person damage their own newer car, well the car may be stolen so they won’t really care.

Went to go out to grab some food last night and did a double take... fairly serious damage to my Model 3, front - driver side.

I'm leaning towards #2 as I don't understand how #1 would lead someone to do what was done - though I know it's definitely possible.

Sentry was not on... I usually park in the driveway... but got home a little late and was going to leave again.

I watched the video and read the story about daughter of woman across street, and its an accident. I'm sorry, but that car re-aligned with your car and purposefully backed into it, then instantly (no hesitation at all) sped off. If you show that to any objective observer, that was an intentional hit-and-run. I have not read if you went to the police, sorry. If you haven't, you should. Not sure what her problem is. Maybe she wasn't even driving and it was a crazy boyfriend. But "accident" does not work for me. The video is clear.

Reactions: Glamisduner
The worst commercials are when taglines or mottos like "legal for less" and "be covered" are used because it gives the insured a false sense of reality. $5k property damage coverage is not insured... and she was paying over $2k for 6 months... so at that point, you could almost self insure the limit. You buy insurance with a limit that you could not afford to pay to someone else yourself.

Gonna get thousands of disagrees here as my viewpoint is contrary to most.

My wife worked in personal lines insurance for decades. A $2,000 semi-annual premium for minimum coverage is essentially unheard of (at least in California). For a premium to be that high, this person has to have had a horrible driving record: perhaps a DUI, a couple of at fault accidents, and maybe a slew of other moving violations. So, I think we can eliminate the possibility that this will be a learning experience for this poor young lady and help her mature. I think it is odds-on that she is a recidivist with hit-and-run.

Second, she is clearly talking on the phone while driving. I don't care if it is a residential area; New Jersey prohibits driving while "using" a cell phone. I think we can glean from this that she is indifferent to following the law. She is a selfish, self-centered little girl.

Third, she is unmarried, living with her mother, early 20s, and has an infant. She has no visible means of even minimal support for herself and her child. Getting pregnant is an adult thing to do. Raising a child is probably the most important task we humans are faced with. So, on the one hand she wants to be an adult and raise a child. But on the other hand, she acts like a small child that broke the neighbor's window and does not come forward and admit it.

Fourth, she did not come forward voluntarily. She only admitted her crime after she was confronted with incontrovertible evidence. Why do you suppose that is? It is more than plausible that she has been down this road before, given her insurance premiums. She knows full well the mess that she got herself into.

It is OK to have empathy for her situation. But she should get whatever the State of New Jersey metes out as appropriate. You are an adult. You made bad choices.

I'd also say that they might have been pissed because you were blocking the street when you could have so easily pulled into the driveway! And there were cars not so badly parked on the other side that made traversal of the road difficult.

He didn't want to get oil on his nice driveway. You know, it comes out of the tires I think.

Nah, at the last second they had their wheel turned sharply to the left as though trying to avoid impact. It wasn’t in time, banged you up, waited a second while saying “OH SH...!” And took off. Left the scene of an accident. Newer car or otherwise. That’s what happened.

In the spirit of "other people's problems are not my business", I would probably do what the OP did -- recover from her insurance company, report the collision to the state (dunno about NJ, but in NY we literally have to report every collision to the state), and leave it at that. Glad to hear that he tracked her down and she did have insurance.

Wow, that really sucks!
Just reinforces the reason why I keep my M3 in the garage when I’m home.
Maybe it was some kids joyriding?
Hope you catch the driver.

Sorry you had to endue something like this. There seems to be a rash of hit and runs, at least, in Los Angeles. An accidental hit makes more sense, to me, than a purposeful act.

F.Y.I. In California it is illegal to park in front of any driveway, including your own (I missed this question on my driver's test).

I agree that often videos go on and on. I thought it was short enough to include the "wait for it... wait for it... wait for it... awww dang!"
Thanks for the vid.
About a year ago, I saw a similar hit and run while out on my morning jog. Driver stopped after side-swiping a parked car and seemed to check around for any witnesses. I was coming up from 50 yards behind and they saw me and began to speed off. I whipped out my smart-phone and took a well-framed shot of... my forehead.

I also have a Nest cam. I recently repositioned it to the kitchen since that's where most of the nearby crime takes place. Damn dog is like Houdini with the pantry door and child-locked trash cabinet. Life goes on. Priorities.

I'll agree that, from the outside it looked intentional. Glad it wasn't. But, as I mentioned to my boss... drama keeps many people poor... she shouldn't have been on the phone with her boyfriend, especially in an argument, while driving. Nothing good can come of distracted driving.

You take someone that is in a poor state of affairs and just shovel this on... I don't wish any ill on her, but it's definitely not what she needed at this point in her life. Plus, she made it seem like the BF was just telling her to lay low... you should not be affiliating yourself with folks that give you bad advice especially when you can "easily" cut ties with them.

Also, it's crucial to note that, without the [Nest] camera, I would have no idea that the vehicle across the street did the damage. She DID NOT come to me... I saw the car and went over there myself. The Nest is literally the only reason why I'll be able to [hopefully] collect without going through my insurance carrier. I think I'm going to upgrade to the 4k camera... really wish I was able to read the license plate.

Anyway... reasonably happy... hope the insurance comes through without too much work. Going to ask for the full $5k upfront... damage and diminished value will no doubt exceed that amount. TY for all the folks who said "it may have just been an accident." We need folks like you to balance me out!! ;-)

And a big TY to technology, which occasionally saves the day, even though it's mining my personal data 24/7!

Well...accident or not, she didn’t come clean until she was cornered. That’s not exactly “innocent”.

Reactions: Omnomynous
Tell me about it...

Unfortunately we are a state run by Democrats and they've blocked numerous opportunities [over the years] to increase the minimum.

We also have a program in NJ called Dollar A Day insurance and it provides no coverage to a victim who is hit by the insured. It's crap like this that is a total joke.

When the average value of a new car is ~30k, that should be the minimum property damage insurance available. Frankly, $50k should be the minimum. Problem is, between legislators and insurance companies, they don't want to make the change.

I expect the carrier will just issue a check for $5k and then they are free & clear and I'm stuck having to run the balance through my carrier which then will potentially increase my rates.

C'est la vie!

I'm going to try to find a moderator so I can update the title... TY for that suggestion (I actually was trying to do it myself but couldn't find a way to).

Don’t just blame democrats. I live in a state that was ran by republicans (until recently). Republicans haven’t exactly been friendly to Tesla nor insurance rates.

And there's no provision in the law that says you can't.
Oh really? This says otherwise:
Law section

(e) (1) In front of a public or private driveway, except that a bus engaged as a common carrier, schoolbus, or a taxicab may stop to load or unload passengers when authorized by local authorities pursuant to an ordinance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno