TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Video: F9R with Grid Fins - 1000m Flight - June 17 2014

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by rabar10, Jun 18, 2014.

1. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

#1 rabar10, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Vger

Vger Active Member

Still getting used to the feeling of these rockets behaving like VTOL aircraft; looks so freaky, but so graceful at the same time!

I wonder if they were deliberately perturbing the rocket attitude on the ascent to test maneuvering, or if it was a response to wind gusts.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

How cool is that? I've not seen that control concept before. Seems to work well.

4. tigerade

tigerade Member

A guy over at NSF mentioned that these are called grid fins and have been used in precision guided bombs and missiles. And yeah, it's super cool. I love that SpaceX is willing to experiment so much, truly a treat to watch their progress.

SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion THREAD 2

grid-fin.jpg

5. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Woah... what are they doing there? I don't know, but it looks cool.

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Interesting. It appears they can be used to invoke rotation by varying their pitch, although I'm not sure how much need there would be to make sure a rocket was oriented in a spefic manner along it's rotational axis like that.

I wonder if the ultimate goal is to counter rotational forces as it's initially descending, so that they don't have to try and do with thrusters alone... or carry as much fuel for them. Out of control rotation was one of the things that have had to work on when an earlier test on a production launch booster was not controllable.

It also seem that were varying the deployment angle as they got close to landing... I wonder if that allows for some additional stability control by vectoring any thrust "bounceback" from the ground...

(Oh, and "Moo!")

7. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

My favorite part of these videos is the shots of the totally freaked out cattle!

8. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

It seemed to me that the video from the rocket and the one from the ground might not have been the same launch? In the one from the rocket, you can clearly see the ground (well, really the rocket, but you know what I mean) rotating, and not much if any side-to-side, whereas from the ground, looking at the legs, no apparent rotation but plenty of back-and-forth.

9. CliffG

CliffG Member

10. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

That was awesome. I'm wondering if they intentionally created instability on the launch to test the grid fin system. My instincts say this was just a very basic initial test. I'd think you'd want to make the fins more aerodynamic during the launch phase.

All of this just makes me love what SpaceX is trying to do even more. The old companies were so complacent in what they were doing. Any innovation was only done when the government was funding them to do so. The old companies had no goal to achieve more than what they were already doing.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#11 ecarfan, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    I'm sure that was the same test shown first from the top of the rocket looking down and then from a ground based camera.

That is awesome. I feel so fortunate to be living now and being allowed to see the development of the first fully reusable rocket. This is historic in every sense of the word.

For an explanation of the grid fins see Grid fin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

I'm sorry guys, but I saw this in the 1950's on Captain Video and his Video Rangers. Nothing new here except the cows.

13. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Those rockets were tiny and on strings. They did fire up my youthful imagination and the desire to see the real thing. It took 50 years but it finally seems to be happening, with no strings attached.

14. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

#14 Skotty, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Uh...are you serious? -- UPDATE -- Oh, good. Apparently not. What's it in reference to? I must have missed some other somewhat goofy remark.

15. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Guess you didn't detect the sarcasm in his post.