TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

VIDEO: FALCON WING doors explained by Mark Templeton

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by slyastro, Jan 23, 2016.

1. slyastro

slyastro Member

Mark Templeton, who's got the 3rd Model X ever made (Elon Musk got the 1st one!), explains to a very curious young lady how the Falcon wing doors work. The sensors detects when a person is nearby ... so Mark is not hit by the door, even if he's very close ... except his glasses!

Very good explanation of the difference between GULL WING doors and the FALCON WING doors!

VIDEO: MODEL X FALCON WING DOORS EXPLAINED BY MARK TEMPLETON

Mark-ModelX-Falcon-Wing.jpeg

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

For me that image is simply a photo, not a link to a video.

3. slyastro

slyastro Member

Just scroll down a little on the page and you will be able to see the video.

4. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

Great video, but omg... that voice...

5. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Yea.... give him a chance to explain. Talking to her took a lot of patience. Good for Mark!

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, that link didn't show in the post when viewed using the Tapatalk app in iOS.
    So I watched the video. The young lady is less of a "listener" and more of an "interrupter". Mark was very patient and gracious. Nice guy.

7. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

Here's a direct link to the video: Model X Falcon doors explained - YouTube
    BTW, which color is his car? Metallic Blue?

8. pvogel

pvogel Member

9. slyastro

slyastro Member

10. CatB

CatB Member

Wonderful, thanks for posting this link. I guess I'm not the only person who wanted to scream "just hush, we want to hear Mark!" at that first woman.
    Second videographer was much better at listening and recording. Did anyone else just want to laugh when the other driver had to physically lock and unlock his car?

11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Wow. Mark is a good guy to survive that with a pleasant attitude. And further to share the experience with all of us. Thanks.

12. slyastro

slyastro Member

Yes, it was very funny ... the orange car owner seemed worried that we would damage his car!

By the way, I am the videographer for both scenes ... the young lady just came by like that with her dozens of questions and I said that I had to catch that on video! :cool:

Sly

13. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I had to stop watching. I couldn't handle her. I don't know how he did!

14. slyastro

slyastro Member

Although she was interrupting Mark all the time, it's just because she was so excited to see the Model X for the first time.

15. bigbadboy

bigbadboy Member

I'm sure I would do the same thing like the lady if I see a Model X park in front of me. :tongue:

16. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

17. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

I'm glad you still have your hearing after filming that. I damn near lost mine just watching it.

18. mymacbook

mymacbook Member

You are both right, tesla calls it Deep Blue Metallic Paint on the design form. It looks beautiful in person.

19. jeeter

jeeter Member

Though the DeLorean video you presented is compelling, he's not wrong about a gullwing door and the additional space it would require. Imagine that DeLorean being the same height has the Model X (i.e. 66 inches tall instead of 45 inches). That would make that gullwing door significantly larger, especially the portion of the door that is on the side of the vehicle. The increased length of that portion of the door would make opening in an 11 inch space impossible, because every additional inch in door length would increase the arc of the door as it moves up to the open position.

So maybe a gullwing door would work for the Model X if it were only 45 inches tall like the DeLorean, but it's an SUV and physics wins every time :wink:

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

He's still wrong the way he portrays gull wing door as flying way out on both sides of the car. While the FaWD provide a slight advantage with the middle hinge, it's minor. Properly hinged GWDs in the centerline of the roof won't swing out the way he portrays it would. The GWD still angle down and not out. So for that, he's still wrong, that's just not how gull wing doors work.

Besides, he's not comparing the MX to other MX sized gullwing doors (because none exist). He's comparing it to existing GWD cars like the Delorean, MB 300SL, Bricklin.