Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Video] For Model 3 Performance Owners - Everything you need to know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been a lot of talk on this price drop in the past few days, so I figured it would add value for current owners of the Model 3 Performance (with the Performance Upgrade Pacjage) to understand what’s going on with the recent price-drop, what’s the best decision to make, and what’s the latest on this. I try to keep my videos direct and to-the-point (I value your time just as much as mine).

I’m also curious to hear your thoughts on this and any updates you may have heard that I have not (I want to keep the description as current as possible with new info). I hope you enjoy!

$5000 Cash Back or free supercharging on the Tesla Model 3 Performance? What you need to know!

To quote Elon "We will just offer those who ordered bought 3P either $5k back or free lifetime Supercharging." Elon never mentioned refunds for only people who bought the "performance upgrade package", only "performance".

To add to that, people taking deliveries recently of ANY kind of performance model, with OR without the performance upgrade package, are reporting getting their cars discounted. There have been several reports on the forums here of that happening.

As far as what happens to those who bought their cars previously, nothing official has been stated yet so everything is only speculation.

But hey, let's beat the dead horse again!

Last edited:
Sorry everyone. I've been looking at this strongly from the PUP perspective, and I realize now that there are many who weighed the decision of whether to spend $5000 or not, and chose not to only to find out that it would be free later. I'll update the description to include any decisions regarding both.

Trust me, I feel pretty shitty about this. I put a lot of hard work into these videos and I hate to see if something in my work upsets people.

Last edited:
So my intent is not to create divisions between P3- and P3+ but I’ll explain why the P3+ folks got screwed much harder.

The P+ folks laid out an extra 5000 in cash.

Some owners could have saved 5000 if they took delivery 24 hours later. 5000 in cash. Not a perceived 5000 but an actual 5000. CASH MONEY. What’s worse is that 5000 loss compounds forever so the opportunity cost over a long time is much worse than 5000.

P- folks missed out on 5000 in upgrades. Upgrades they did not value at 5000. We know this because they would have paid 5000 for it like the P+ buyers.

No ones car was actually devalued by 5000, that’s not how depreciation works.

However the P+ Buyers got devalued harder than the P- buyers because the MSRP is higher. The higher the MSRP the higher the devaluation.

So my intent is not to create divisions between P3- and P3+

Sorry this completely does, there is no P minus anything just like the RWD car is not an AWD minus

However the P+ Buyers got devalued harder than the P- buyers

Sorry again because that's just a load of ... I have a car that looks no different than any other Model 3 yet cost a bucket ton more..

Let's be a community here and stuff it with this biz...

So customers inquiring about Elon's refund tweet are being told that the $5k refund is in the works and they are having their accounts marked as "refund requested". A P3D non-PUP customer inquiring about this was told he/she would have his/her account marked "refund requested" as well. Another customer called and was told by the Service Rep that Tesla is setting up an automated process to sell your free supercharging back for a $5000 refund, and that an email should be going out within the next few weeks.

If you do decide to call right now (877-79-TESLA), keep in mind that not all Service Reps know what's going on yet. Some are saying they "can't give advice on it right now" and others are being told different things. Just keep in mind not all Service Reps follow this stuff as intensely as we do. This is still very new, but there is some promising news and I'm sure with time this will be sorted out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Perry and Msjulie
This thread perfectly represents why Tesla is making a huge mistake offering anybody money back on anything. Because now the people that purchased the less expensive vehicle are going to complain they didn't get the larger wheels and brakes, and lower suspension that they all justified not wanting at time of purchase. And you've got people that did justify the extra expense complaining that their vehicle was "devalued" $5k even though it lost more than than in instant devaluation the instant they took ownership.

• Disagree
Reactions: Glamisduner
So customers inquiring about Elon's refund tweet are being told that the $5k refund is in the works and they are having their accounts marked as "refund requested". A P3D non-PUP customer inquiring about this was told he/she would have his/her account marked "refund requested" as well. Another customer called and was told by the Service Rep that Tesla is setting up an automated process to sell your free supercharging back for a $5000 refund, and that an email should be going out within the next few weeks.

If you do decide to call right now (877-79-TESLA), keep in mind that not all Service Reps know what's going on yet. Some are saying they "can't give advice on it right now" and others are being told different things. Just keep in mind not all Service Reps follow this stuff as intensely as we do. This is still very new, but there is some promising news and I'm sure with time this will be sorted out.

I would have said "2 months, or maybe even just a day later" I would be WAY less disappointed if I had already had the car for 2 months. (well unless of course they still had not completed the due bill) in which case I would still feel like delivery is not complete yet, and the car is already 5k cheaper. So much for getting in on that federal tax credit!