Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Here's why you have to keep your eyes on the road when using Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was the OP I would definitely notify Tesla because of the dash cam video.

Video is REALLY useful for an engineer trying to improve Lane Steering. A heck of a lot more useful than someone trying to remember what happened.

It's also more useful than the data the car sends. This data along with the cars data is a good dataset to use to refine it.

As an aside I'm glad that so far all my hiccups with Autopilot (mainly truck lust) has been without anyone else in the car. So I don't have to try to explain what happened.

Very good point. I didn't hear anything either.+

I hope this isn't a non-truthful movie.

@Garlan, are you nuts? Did you even read my post or the intelligent responses of Jdw and SomeJoe (both of whom clearly diagnosed the cause of this)? Why would I go through the trouble of posting this if it was fake? You're proposing that I drove my tesla down the freeway manually, waited until the road seams just happened to make the lanes disappear, and then intentionally almost drove into the car next to me? I staged this so well that my wife and kids were shocked by it and then began complaining about the fact that I corrected the car? And I did this knowing that if if Tesla wanted to pull the logs on my car they could instantly prove me a liar? How about before you make "hackusations" you go buy a BlackVue and see how sensitive the microphone is not, or you can download the video and try and increase the volume to hear the chime (which I've already done to no avail, but maybe you can d). Plus if I was making the whole thing up, why wouldn't I just "splice" in the autopilot chime. Nuts.

If I was the OP I would definitely notify Tesla because of the dash cam video.

Video is REALLY useful for an engineer trying to improve Lane Steering. A heck of a lot more useful than someone trying to remember what happened.

It's also more useful than the data the car sends. This data along with the cars data is a good dataset to use to refine it.

As an aside I'm glad that so far all my hiccups with Autopilot (mainly truck lust) has been without anyone else in the car. So I don't have to try to explain what happened.

I send it in. thank you.

Last edited:
Hate to say this but your statement that you corrected manually gives away the fact that AP was not engaged as the disengagement chime did not sound. I went back and listened a dozen times with studio monitor headphones on loud. The chime is loud enough you'd easily hear it over everything else. I think it's likely you thought you were using AP but in fact were not.

There have been a few times when I thought AP was on and it wasn't and I didn't realize it until I drifted so I wouldn't assume it's an outright lie.

That's why I didn't assume AP wasn't being used until I read he manually corrected.

Sorka I appreciate that you took a scientific approach and tried to diagnose the video, rather than calling me a fake. I tried to do exactly as you did, I even increased the audio gain using Handbrake. If you look at the frame photos posted by JDW, you'll see that the seam moves across my lane and that that there are old white lines in the Porche's lane that match distance with seam. Your theory that I was driving on manual and didn't know it would make the presence of the seam and the faint white lines in the other lane and coincidence of astronomical proportions. The odds that I would drive down the freeway thinking I was in autopilot and then drift into another lane at the exact moment that the lane markings get weird are too great, otherwise I actually would believe that I made a mistake. The freeway had already made several curves recorded in the video, I assure I wasn't driving those manually. I think it's much more likely that the BlackVue simply didn't pick up the AutoPilot disengage queue sound. I'll link a OneDrive of the file that hasn't been edited or processed by Youtube, maybe you can find the sound in there somewhere, you sound like an Audiophile. The lack of the sound doesn't prove your theory, it just means it's possible it wasn't picked up by the microphone. But hey, we all get to have an opinion.

Here's the link to the file... 20160716_212127000_iOS.mp4

Reactions: Matias
@Garlan, are you nuts? Did you even read my post or the intelligent responses of Jdw and SomeJoe (both of whom clearly diagnosed the cause of this)? Why would I go through the trouble of posting this if it was fake? You're proposing that I drove my tesla down the freeway manually, waited until the road seams just happened to make the lanes disappear, and then intentionally almost drove into the car next to me? I staged this so well that my wife and kids were shocked by it and then began complaining about the fact that I corrected the car? And I did this knowing that if if Tesla wanted to pull the logs on my car they could instantly prove me a liar? How about before you make "hackusations" you go buy a BlackVue and see how sensitive the microphone is not, or you can download the video and try and increase the volume to hear the chime (which I've already done to no avail, but maybe you can d). Plus if I was making the whole thing up, why wouldn't I just "splice" in the autopilot chime. Nuts.

I send it in. thank you.

I need you to quote me saying all of that.

I made "ONE" statement. "I hope the movie isn't a fake". That's it. geeesh.

Next time set your camera up so that the driver and the dash can be seen. (dash, driver).

I need you to quote me saying all of that.

I made "ONE" statement. "I hope the movie isn't a fake". That's it. geeesh.

Next time set your camera up so that the driver and the dash can be seen. (dash, driver).

My response to you was a little more annoyed than I wish it had been, so I apologize for my harshness. Still I stand by what I said. "I hope the movie isn't a fake" is the same thing as saying "I hope you aren't a reckless liar with no regard for the safety of other human beings". I say this because someone who would make a fake video nearly causing a traffic accident has no regard for safety in addition to being a liar. I don't take either accusation lightly.

Based on your signature, I'm assuming you don't have a Model S and therefore don't have a ton of Autopilot experience. I'm not an expert on Autopilot by any means, my Model S has 1500 miles and only 10% are probably autopilot. If you read the other posts on the first page, you'll find several other users who corroborated my story with similar events of their own. 2nd, if you do much reading on Model S dashcam installs, you'll find every Model S owner installs their camera exactly where mine is. We record what is in front of us and behind us, not what's in the cab. See here... https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/dsc07818-jpg.183768/

Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Install

@ Sorka, The other event that proves I wasn't driving manually is the curve in the road. At the time the event occurred, the road was curving to the right, if I had been driving manually thinking I was on autopilot, I would have gone straight and drifted to the left, not the right.

NoDots.png Seam.png

Wow interesting and exactly why it's still "Beta." No need to email tesla. Any correction you did will improve the neural network automatically. That's how it get's better

This is exactly why you DON'T release software like this that is beta. This vehicle could have crashed into the car in the next lane and caused death or severe injury. Tesla cannot hide behind the "beta" moniker and expect that it is not accountable in any way for the performance of a system which, by its very nature, enables a greater degree of driver distraction while doing nothing to mitigate that distraction.

All of the analysis as to why this or that happened is rather meaningless, in my opinion. The system just doesn't work if it does not require hands on the wheel and can suddenly throw you into the next lane. It sounds like the passengers were quite alarmed. Maybe we should just explain to them about "beta" and that if they were to be maimed in a crash it's okay because the system is "beta" and its' neural network needs to learn some new techniques.

Not going to fly with NHTSA, sorry. We will find out soon enough. Autopilot is not ready for prime time and Tesla should be held accountable. I get that this is an unpopular view here that is not shared by most, but I am not thinking of Tesla at all in any of this - I'm thinking of the human beings, families, friends, and loved ones who may rely on this system and end up in an accident as a result.

Even Consumer Reports has said the system is flawed and should be pulled. I believe Tesla has acted irresponsibly in the way it has implemented this feature, and at least in this case, has put its own desire for headlines ahead of the safety of its owners.

Last edited:
One question I keep asking myself is, what benefit this current AP gives. This video shows that you have to be very alert all the time, because at any time the AP can divert the car towards other car. I think it is much more stressful than driving yourself.

TAutopilot is not ready for prime time and Tesla should be held accountable. I get that this is an unpopular view here that is not shared by most, but I am not thinking of Tesla at all in any of this - I'm thinking of the human beings, families, friends, and loved ones who may rely on this system and end up in an accident as a result.

Until you have hard data that shows an actual, factual increase in risk of injury or death due to AP driving, your statements are just emotional speculation.

Right now, the only data purportedly known is:

Manual driving: 1 death per 93M miles driven.
AP: 1 death per 130M miles driven (and at this point, it's actually unknown whether AP caused or contributed to that death).

So far that's inconclusive of anything.

@ Sorka, The other event that proves I wasn't driving manually is the curve in the road. At the time the event occurred, the road was curving to the right, if I had been driving manually thinking I was on autopilot, I would have gone straight and drifted to the left, not the right.

View attachment 185982 View attachment 185983

Careful there. I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt about the truthfulness of your video. AP wasn't engaged which is proven by the lack of the loud disengagement chime. Your statement only convinces me that you might not have been truthful after all.

Whatever. Believe what you want. I'm sure if I record multiple autopilot engage/disengages and then play them back you won't believe that either. The chime isn't that loud, I can't even hear the directions from the Nav on my car over the music, even with the Nav audio turned up. My wife never even knows when I'm on autopilot because it isn't that intrusive. If you want to disregard all the other evidence and somehow believe I intentionally did this, help yourself.

This is exactly why you DON'T release software like this that is beta. This vehicle could have crashed into the car in the next lane and caused death or severe injury. Tesla cannot hide behind the "beta" moniker and expect that it is not accountable in any way for the performance of a system which, by its very nature, enables a greater degree of driver distraction while doing nothing to mitigate that distraction.

All of the analysis as to why this or that happened is rather meaningless, in my opinion. The system just doesn't work if it does not require hands on the wheel and can suddenly throw you into the next lane. It sounds like the passengers were quite alarmed. Maybe we should just explain to them about "beta" and that if they were to be maimed in a crash it's okay because the system is "beta" and its' neural network needs to learn some new techniques.

Not going to fly with NHTSA, sorry. We will find out soon enough. Autopilot is not ready for prime time and Tesla should be held accountable. I get that this is an unpopular view here that is not shared by most, but I am not thinking of Tesla at all in any of this - I'm thinking of the human beings, families, friends, and loved ones who may rely on this system and end up in an accident as a result.

Even Consumer Reports has said the system is flawed and should be pulled. I believe Tesla has acted irresponsibly in the way it has implemented this feature, and at least in this case, has put its own desire for headlines ahead of the safety of its owners.
Tesla isn't hiding behind anything.

You had to click the screen and ACCEPT the limitations of a Beta version. You didn't simply activate "Auto Steer" without knowing what you were/are getting. If you have any fears about a "beta" version then don't click accept. It clearly warns about lane markers that may be absent. What else do people want? I'm not backing down either.

AP.png

Why did you activate the beta version of auto-steer? And then get surprised that when the lanes disappeared it veered out of the lane? You knew that might happen.

Reactions: ShadowR55
You're doing an awesome job of derailing this thread. And you're becoming a troll. You're quoting someone else, but you appear to be talking to me. On one hand you're accusing me of lying about the whole thing, and then you're also accusing me of being upset that autopilot drove out of the lane. Which am I? I can't be both, the options are mutually exclusive. This is why I think you have to be trolling, or you're in need of a course in logic. I never said I was upset. I'm just learning about autopilots limitations and sharing what I've found. Information helps others and is better for every Tesla owner. By knowing the limitations we can avoid accidents and prevent further negative PR for a company we all love. I'm done here, no more feeding the trolls.

You're doing an awesome job of derailing this thread. And you're becoming a troll. You're quoting someone else, but you appear to be talking to me. On one hand you're accusing me of lying about the whole thing, and then you're also accusing me of being upset that autopilot drove out of the lane. Which am I? I can't be both, the options are mutually exclusive. This is why I think you have to be trolling, or you're in need of a course in logic. I never said I was upset. I'm just learning about autopilots limitations and sharing what I've found. Information helps others and is better for every Tesla owner. By knowing the limitations we can avoid accidents and prevent further negative PR for a company we all love. I'm done here, no more feeding the trolls.

I believe he's responding to AmpedRealtor