Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Here's why you have to keep your eyes on the road when using Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my trip back from Los Angeles, while on Autopilot, this exact thing happened to me. A silver Audi was coming up on my right hand side, my hands were on the wheel lightly. As the Audi was passing, my MS, which was working perfectly and had no issue with station keeping in the lane, meandered over towards the Audi. It was not a sudden dive at the Audi, but it crossed over the lane marker and I had to take control. I do remember that Autopilot had disengaged when I took the wheel. I watched the whole thing happen, was paying attention, and corrected the situation.

Thanks for posting your experience. Others have posted about their AP's "truck lust" issues with AP swerving toward large trucks, yours seems more partial to Audis :)

Glad to hear you were paying close attention and nothing bad happened.

If AP can't handle this freeway, then it shouldn't be allowed on the road.

BS. AP handles perfectly fine almost 90% of highways out there (my WAG). It struggles when the lines are not clear and it is not hard to quickly learn when it can read the lanes and when it cannot.

Saying AP should not be enabled because it can't handle that specific scenario of: bots on one side (and that too I see the bots are sparcely spaced) and a fuzzy left lane - is silly.

It handles amazing well thousands of miles of nicely marked highways where you can drive hundreds of miles continously with little to no user input.

I am pretty sick and tired of hearing opinions from folks who don't own S nor driven one with AP.

It is like a blind man saying Rose is ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If AP can't do A thenit should not be enabled. If AP can't do B then it should not be enabled. If AP can't drive in Starbucks drive-thrus and order itself then it should not be enabled.

You get these kinds of silly proclamations from folks who have never driven in AP. You won't hear that from an S-AP owner.

• Disagree
Reactions: KZKZ and GoTslaGo
Now you're saying I unknowingly turned off the Autopilot 1 minute before the event. The only way that could happen is if I manually pushed in the knob. If I had pushed in the knob, the TACC would have turned off also, and the car would have either A) lurched forward due to regenerative braking or B) speed up when I had to put my foot into the gas.

...so are you disputing the fact that I can hear the disengagement sound at 19:26? It doesn't seem so.

You missed the most common cause of turning off AP. Many times, more than I can count, while I'm driving with AP and my hands are on the wheel, AP and I will disagree about lane centering or the line in the corner it takes. When we disagree, I apply just the slightest amount of disagreement pressure on to keep the wheel straight or continue going in the line I want it to go and that results in AP disengaging but TACC still engaged.

That fact is in the video you post, the engagement sound is clear and loud. It is not at all present when you say you took manual control. It is present earlier than that but on the tail end of it. Does it really sound like I'm the one who is desperate?

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
Are you making up timestamps now? I've watched all the videos in this thread twice now looking for 19:26 and I don't see that on any of the videos.

Nope, it's right there at 14:19:26 in the video timestamp and it's why you can clearly here the engagement earlier (proof that this particular blackvue has no problem recording that sound) and you can clearly hear the tail end of it and the timestamp I quoted. Granted, it's cut off except for the second half of the second lower tone chime, but it's clearly there.

I've given an explanation as to why it didn't sound at the swerve event and the proof is in the video. I have yet to hear another explanation as to why we should believe the swerve event is where it was really disengaged given that earlier in the video you can clearly hear the engagement sound and the background ambient noise is the same.

Last edited:
I'm really beginning to get tired of the snippiness on this forum. I've had to "unwatch" about 4 threads in the past week because I can't read the back-and-forth pointless arguing about minutiae.

better to use ignore than unwatch.

upload_2016-7-23_19-13-47.png

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Nope, it's right there at 14:19:26 in the video timestamp and it's why you can clearly here the engagement earlier (proof that this particular blackvue has no problem recording that sound) and you can clearly hear the tail end of it and the timestamp I quoted. Granted, it's cut off except for the second half of the second lower tone chime, but it's clearly there.

I've given an explanation as to why it didn't sound at the swerve event and the proof is in the video. I have yet to hear another explanation as to why we should believe the swerve event is where it was really disengaged given that earlier in the video you can clearly hear the engagement sound and the background ambient noise is the same.

OK I'll went back and watched the video again and replayed 14:19:26 and the seconds around it multiple times with Logitetch G35 headphones on and the sound turned way up. All I hear is a click that might be the loss of sound or might be part of a turn signal noise but I don't hear a tone that sounds like an autopilot disengage.

Side note: be sure to turn the video playback to 720 because youtube further degrades the audio on non HD content.

OK I'll went back and watched the video again and replayed 14:19:26 and the seconds around it multiple times with Logitetch G35 headphones on and the sound turned way up. All I hear is a click that might be the loss of sound or might be part of a turn signal noise but I don't hear a tone that sounds like an autopilot disengage.

Side note: be sure to turn the video playback to 720 because youtube further degrades the audio on non HD content.

The drop in sound occurs every 60 seconds from the video segment transitions. The second half of the lower tone of the two tone disengagement chime is heard when the audio comes back. You don't need headphones to hear it after you know where it is.

The drop in sound occurs every 60 seconds from the video segment transitions. The second half of the lower tone of the two tone disengagement chime is heard when the audio comes back. You don't need headphones to hear it after you know where it is.

I listened on desktop speakers and with headphones and couldn't hear a tone even after trying 10 times. I'm not hard of hearing, if it's there it's drowned out by ambient noises. I'm not sure how you think it's so obvious.

It reminds me of listening to vinyl backwards to find hidden messages. You hear it and I don't.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias

I hear a sound there - can't say for 100% it's this disengagement tone, but it's something like that.

However, there is no way for this car to have proceeded like this the next minute without AP engaged - there were 2 curves after that point. So the OP would have known AP was off before the incident.

I hear a sound there - can't say for 100% it's this disengagement tone, but it's something like that.

However, there is no way for this car to have proceeded like this the next minute without AP engaged - there were 2 curves after that point. So the OP would have known AP was off before the incident.

....or simply being driven. Like I've said before, I've disengaged AP without even thinking about it because we disagree on the line and then minutes later I'll drift because I thought AP was still on.

I listened on desktop speakers and with headphones and couldn't hear a tone even after trying 10 times. I'm not hard of hearing, if it's there it's drowned out by ambient noises. I'm not sure how you think it's so obvious.

It reminds me of listening to vinyl backwards to find hidden messages. You hear it and I don't.

It's clear to me. Answer me this, is the engagement chime clear to you or not?

It's clear to me. Answer me this, is the engagement chime clear to you or not?

Engagement chime and disengagement chimes were easily noticeable in the intro section, not perfectly clear but easily identifiable. Engagement nearest time of indecent is audible but only one of the two tones stands out above the road noise (on my desktop speakers), the other half of the engagement tone was too quiet vs ambient.

I'm not going to do it again tonight but the other night I put on headphones and listened to the seconds around the audio gap you referred to by time stamp and all I got was an audio gap and a turn signal. If the autopilot disengage sound is quiet enough that road noise covers it up such that I can't find it even with boosting my volume on a PC then Tesla needs to modify the sound of that chime (repeat it twice and play it one of those times with more volume?)

You seem certain its there but I'm not hearing it.

Last edited:
Yesterday my family and I were driving on a divided freeway when a seam in the freeway started on the left side of my lane and then crossed across my lane. The Autopilot computer incorrectly interpreted the seam as a lane marker (which is odd because there were lane markers which were much more obvious). The autopilot took me into the lane next to me which was occupied by another car. I immediately corrected manually and went back into my own lane, but I'm sure I looked like a jerk to anyone behind me. I didn't hear the sensors detect the car next to me, and while I'd like to think they would have detected the other car and avoided a collision, I didn't wait long enough to find out. My wife was very upset because she assumed it was my driving (she's very protective of the Tesla for obvious reasons) and my son immediately chimed in with comments echoing mommy. You may enjoy a laugh if it resembles your family. The video is 1 minute long, the lane seam appears 26 seconds in.

I was hoping you'd be able to hear autopilot "disengage" tone when I corrected, but I can't hear it on the video. I should probably email this to Tesla so they can help improve the software. I'm a huge autopilot fan, and I realize Tesla is being attacked due to idiots failure to use it correctly, so I'm tempted not to share this. But I want the product to improve and I don't want any of my fellow Tesla fans to get in an accident, so that is my motivation for sharing this. The video is unlisted, so only people on the forums should be able to find it. 1st time I used my BlackVue for something useful. Glad I have it.

what kind of dash cam are you using? this is a very clear video, and I'd consider getting your brand.