Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Video) Launching the P85D in a parking garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late at night, we took our Model S to a parking garage to get the hang of maneuvering with its quite large dimensions. After more than an hour of nobody coming or going, we decided to try launching the car inside there.
We did some test runs to find out how fast you can go without hitting the opposite wall.. ehem.. So we were cautious.
The final result is a run to 107 km/h or 66 mph. Pretty insane. Wanted to share that with you guys!

You might not want to try this at home. If you got a garage that big.
What's your craziest launch? :D

-David

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing no one, especially a kid, ran out in front of the car when doing that.

Yeah. I shouldn't probably tell you where that was, so I don't get sued for speeding inside there :D but it was a place where you don't find children very often. Also we did some parking exercises and nobody came and went for more than one hour. So we played it safe here.

And thank goodness we now have valet mode... Imagine the valet guys lining up to do this.

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^

It is amazing that I have been to the depths of the internet, seen things that should never have been seen, and that would make a lesser man (or woman) lose his sanity... but more than anything else NOTHING has scarred me more than the one scene from Ferris Bueller's day off... (This one: Ferris Buellers Day Off - Star Wars Ferrari Flight - YouTube )

I'd hand a child to a rusty old van with "free candy" written on the side in spray paint before I'd hand over the keys to a valet... just from that scene.

My garage is about three feet longer than my Model S. Probably won't be able to get quite as fast as you did.

Reminds me of doing a "carrier deck" launch of my 1991 Chevy Beretta GTZ in my garage "back in the day" (meaning when I was younger and foolish).

Had 6 feet of "runway" until the garage door, and beyond the door was a 30 foot driveway.
We had 2 feet of snow the night before, and rather than shovelling, we agreed on "flying over it".
Was facing out (I always backed in) and so I reversed till the bumper was touching the back wall.
Floored throttle so the QUAD4HO engine was at 7400RPM red-line and let the clutch out...
Left a good rubber patch and literally sailed over the snow into the street.

it...felt...awesome...

As for the video in the parking garage, it's a bit on the naughty side, but it looks like "no creatures were harmed during the making of this video"/

Totally f-ing awesome!!!!

Reminds me of doing a "carrier deck" launch of my 1991 Chevy Beretta GTZ in my garage "back in the day" (meaning when I was younger and foolish).

Had 6 feet of "runway" until the garage door, and beyond the door was a 30 foot driveway.
We had 2 feet of snow the night before, and rather than shovelling, we agreed on "flying over it".
Was facing out (I always backed in) and so I reversed till the bumper was touching the back wall.
Floored throttle so the QUAD4HO engine was at 7400RPM red-line and let the clutch out...
Left a good rubber patch and literally sailed over the snow into the street.

it...felt...awesome...

As for the video in the parking garage, it's a bit on the naughty side, but it looks like "no creatures were harmed during the making of this video"/

There was massive wheel slip. You could hear it. The traction control indicator flashed a lot. As a result, it took a very long 4.2 seconds to hit 60. It just looked fast because of those columns being so close.

Same trick Elon pulled at the PD launch demo event where he speeds through a tent with vertical strips of light.