TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

VIDEO - Malfunctioning Door Handle

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SSonnentag, Jan 14, 2020.

1. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Rocket Scientist

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to fix this, short of scheduling a service appointment?

12/2017 Model S, out of warranty.

2. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Supporting Member

Strange, have not seen this. Does it ever retract all the way in? Does it act up like this when it rains or wet? There is a switch that gets pressed when handle retracts to stop the motor. I would suspect there is a issue with that or the controller?

You can replace with any color door handle since you can swap the painted part with yours.

Rich Rebuild has a great video for removing the handle which I used for the first time I fixed one.

3. SSonnentag

It retracts all the way in like normal when the doors handles all retract, but when it extends it does this business. The door cannot be opened using the handle. There is no play like normal when the handle is extended it is completely rigid.

no rain for a couple of weeks. I did wash the car recently, but it was nothing out of the ordinary.

4. EV-Fixme

EV-Fixme Supporting Member

The it's proably a breaking paddle gear. And soon will be total broken, search for paddle gear and get a few on hand if you plan to fix it yourself (you will want to have spare for the rest of the door. and at $2 a piece I just buy 10...)

5. DKPowers

DKPowers Member

The motor sounds weird. I'd say that is the problem and if so, only a new handle will help. Fortunately the 3rd generation handles are supposed to be much better.

6. SSonnentag

I got the following reply from my inquiry to Electrified Garage:

7. SSonnentag

When were the 3rd gen door handles introduced?

8. DKPowers

DKPowers Member

I'm not sure but I think around end of 2018 or early 2019.

9. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

My handle had issue and mobile ranger replaced under goodwill. I was out of warranty. So it depends.