Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIDEO - Model 3 name badges, correcting Tesla's mistake!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
For the latest in my Tesla video series, I am correcting a serious (to me) problem that Tesla designed into the Model 3 - no name badges. People need to know these things. But the bigger issue is WHY Tesla didn't put name badges on the Model 3. See it here! Like, subscribe, and comment! :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Kiprich and puppers
No badges are a great thing providing a clean look. General public doesn't NEED to know about your car or what trim level it is - who cares. In addition to a clean look it saves $ per vehicle by not having to have emblems produced. A lot of production cars today do not have a plethora of emblems installed.

Having a 'T' on the trunk is fine.

I thought Tesla was getting rid of using badges by battery size? I definitely wouldn't want to go backwards and put that on there. Everyone knows what a Tesla Model 3 is. I think badging it one of the least "problems" to worry about with a Tesla. The Model 3 badge on the trunk just doesn't fit, it doesn't appear there is enough space to fit the badging so it flows with the rear of the car. It looks out of place IMO.

But if you like it...

I don't think its as criminal as you guys make it sound to be. I just think it comes from other car manufactures that badge their models to differentiate them from base models. Take for example the Corvette. The Stingy ray Logo, the ZR1 and Z06 badging. Customers take pride in being able to own a car like that and sometimes, they'd like others to know. When a vette drives by, its sometimes hard to see what model it is unless you take styling cues or look at the badge. Some cars look good without badges (see Evo x rear badging). Personally, i like how the P3D only has dualmotor with a red underline. Super subtle and simplistic, just like their interior.

I don't think its as criminal as you guys make it sound to be. I just think it comes from other car manufactures that badge their models to differentiate them from base models. Take for example the Corvette. The Stingy ray Logo, the ZR1 and Z06 badging. Customers take pride in being able to own a car like that and sometimes, they'd like others to know. When a vette drives by, its sometimes hard to see what model it is unless you take styling cues or look at the badge. Some cars look good without badges (see Evo x rear badging). Personally, i like how the P3D only has dualmotor with a red underline. Super subtle and simplistic, just like their interior.

While I agree with the badging on those vehicles, they came badged from the factory. These did not. It's like adding a turbo badge onto a Honda or something (whether it's turbocharged or not). The design was made without regard to the badging. The badging doesn't fit and just looks off IMO.

Reactions: XLR82XS
While I agree with the badging on those vehicles, they came badged from the factory. These did not. It's like adding a turbo badge onto a Honda or something (whether it's turbocharged or not). The design was made without regard to the badging. The badging doesn't fit and just looks off IMO.

I guess i meant badges in general, not whether or not it came from factory. Your honda reference makes no sense though lol. Honda's dont come with turbos from factory. IDK.. At the end of the day, if he paid 70k for a P3D and wants to flaunt it with a well done and placed badge, let the man be. The rest of us will wrap and de-badge the entire car lol..

I like my badges because when I take off and leave someone at a stoplight I want them to know what beat them off the line.

Having only the dual motor and underline badges is a bad idea. I have had people tell me they saw a "Tesla dual motor" on the street, which sounds dumb, but that's the only information a non-EV person can readily determine from the identifying marks!

I think there is merit to my theory about why the badges were left off, let's discuss that some more.

• Disagree
Reactions: XLR82XS and puppers
I guess i meant badges in general, not whether or not it came from factory. Your honda reference makes no sense though lol. Honda's dont come with turbos from factory. IDK.. At the end of the day, if he paid 70k for a P3D and wants to flaunt it with a well done and placed badge, let the man be. The rest of us will wrap and de-badge the entire car lol..

You're mistaken, they do. I had a 2018 Type R before ordering my P3D. They are factory turbocharged, so it does make sense. The new gen accords are also turbocharged as well as base model Civics. To clarify, if I added a turbo badge to my Type R, it would look silly. There was no intended spot for it.

Yes, if he likes it sure, slap a badge on there lol.

WE know that, but your average ICE car driver on the street does not. And they are the ones who need to know.

What did you do when you wanted to learn more about Tesla or a particular car? Perhaps open up an internet browser and read? Do you think anyone will see a ‘75’ and know what the hell that even is without, opening up an internet browser and reading? Why do you think the rest of the world is so dumb they can’t figure something else out on their own?

Get off whatever noble steed you rode in here on man. The mystery that is Tesla is part of the excitement. And people want to learn.

Reactions: puppers and XLR82XS
What did you do when you wanted to learn more about Tesla or a particular car? Perhaps open up an internet browser and read? Do you think anyone will see a ‘75’ and know what the hell that even is without, opening up an internet browser and reading? Why do you think the rest of the world is so dumb they can’t figure something else out on their own?

Get off whatever noble steed you rode in here on man. The mystery that is Tesla is part of the excitement. And people want to learn.
Or put one of those sandwich board signs for the top of your ride like taxi’s have and have fun facts about Tesla’s on each side. The back could say something like “you only wish you had a Tesla you ICE driving dinosaur burning scum!” That will show them.

Why is that? They need to be aware of your status? “Stand aside plebeian ICE vehicle, Tesla coming through!”

Well yes, that is right, although not my intention here.

Go onto Google and type in "Model 3". That gets you right into all the best information and news stories a Tesla newcomer would want to see. But without a "Model 3" emblem on the back of the car, lots of ICE drivers wouldn't know where to start, or at least it'd take them longer to get to the right places online.

• Disagree
Reactions: XLR82XS and puppers