Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video - Model X vs Jaguar I-Pace drag race commercial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully agree that Tesla is pushing the EV envelope, preventing the establishment from stalling it. All the more I think vehicle and service quality will become an achilles heel as soon as competition with similar battery sizes becomes available, i.e. within the next year.

Reactions: Sonic_78
Just how many cars does Tesla sell a year? And what is that less then 1% of all car sales. So just how did Tesla mess up everyone’s cash cows?
Because the cash cows are the top end cars. Eg BMW 7 series, Audi A8 and S6 etc.
Audi makes a ton of money in the A8 compared to the A4, and it’s the cash cows like the A8 that Tesla is taking market share from.

Elon started this to push the issue and force the EV car adoption within the auto industry. Obviously, he succeeded. Tesla customers will mostly stick with Tesla despite Jaguar or whoever coming out with EV options. They have their own customers, etc..

Really, if it wast for Tesla there wouldn't be as much attention given to the EV. And with competition hopefully the consumers wins. Hats off to Elon and crew...

Because the cash cows are the top end cars. Eg BMW 7 series, Audi A8 and S6 etc.
Audi makes a ton of money in the A8 compared to the A4, and it’s the cash cows like the A8 that Tesla is taking market share from.

Let’s see BMW had 2 billion in profits for Q3 of 2017
VW group had 1.2 billion in profits for Q3 of 2017
So yeah I can see how Tesla is slaughtering those cash cows

I think the important point is not if I-PACE is faster or not.

The main point is that other big automotive manufacturers are getting into EV game with new ground up designs (not like ICE converted Ford Focus). This should be recognized as "a warning shot across the bows."

Tesla still has few years lead and existing SC network. Tesla needs to step up its game with QC/QA. Can not hide behind early adapter excuse when other traditional automakers start shipping newly designed EVs with better fit and finish.

Let’s see BMW had 2 billion in profits for Q3 of 2017
VW group had 1.2 billion in profits for Q3 of 2017
So yeah I can see how Tesla is slaughtering those cash cows
The cash cows aren't VW or BMW.
The term cash cow refers to the most profitable offerings, (eg. 7 series, or the A8) where they make big margins.
It's in that subset that Tesla is taking market share.

Reactions: Magus
The cash cows aren't VW or BMW.
The term cash cow refers to the most profitable offerings, (eg. 7 series, or the A8) where they make big margins.
It's in that subset that Tesla is taking market share.
I think the better definition isn't most profitable per vehicle, but rather most profitable per model. But dollar, a 7 series likely earns higher profit than a 3 series, but by sale volume of the model, the 3 crashes cash flow generated by the 7. Same for A8 vs. A4. It be interesting to see how Model 3 affects these high cash cow programs.

Reactions: bhzmark
I think the important point is not if I-PACE is faster or not.

The main point is that other big automotive manufacturers are getting into EV game with new ground up designs (not like ICE converted Ford Focus). This should be recognized as "a warning shot across the bows."

Tesla still has few years lead and existing SC network. Tesla needs to step up its game with QC/QA. Can not hide behind early adapter excuse when other traditional automakers start shipping newly designed EVs with better fit and finish.
This is exactly the reason I'm excited about legitimate EV competitors to Tesla. Tesla has a pretty captive market if you want a good, long range EV, but they're very much lacking in quality control. In the past 6 months alone, they've had systemic build issues with the Model X charge ports and coolant o-rings. They've also shipped cars with the wrong headlights and missing tow packages. I can give a pass on the o-rings, since it's possible that one wouldn't be detected until there were some miles on the car but the rest should never have passed.

I love my Model X, despite it's flaws, but I'm hoping that real competition in Tesla's space will drive up quality.

Ice manufacturers aren't putting their all in. They are being forced to build EVs. They don't actually want you to buy them.

I believe this. GM has a great little car, the Bolt but I haven't seen it advertised. The local chevy dealer did an update on mine and told me they'd top it off, but they didn't even know their EVSE didn't work. The dealers certainly don't want to sell EVs because they lose the opportunity to make money on oil changes and coolant flushes.

Anyone remember how Kodak invented the digital camera but buried it because it would kill their film business? Same principle applies here as well.

Reactions: vandacca