Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: New Summon Features 7.1 (2.12.22) In Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
++1

Why, oh why, can't I autopark while staying inside the car. I go into my house through my garage door, which is in my garage. Why would I enable autopark in my driveway and walk along side my car into the garage?? Please, Tesla allow me to enable autopark without having to leave the car.

To me, this seems like the much more obvious use case for autopark. You pull into your driveway, push the autopark button. Enjoy the easy ride into the garage, get out and go inside....

Thanks for the great video, Mark!

Getting my car back from the SC today, so it should have this version.

My question: I already have auto-homelink on, so the garage door will be open already when I line up with my garage door. Currently summon will trigger the garage door before starting, which closes it in this case. I assume it has the same problem now (I wish it would just creep and open the door if it senses a "wall" ahead), or does it know it just sent an auto-homelink "open" code?.

My garage is a tight fit. If the car more reliably navigates the tight spaces, then yes.
If your garage is such a tight fit I would think you'd want to be out of the car just so you don't have to squirm around getting out of the car after it's parked. Plus from past experiences, it doesn't do a very good job parking in tight spaces for two car garage. Leaves too little space between the cars. I can see a use for summon if it does a good job backing into a two car garage. As of right now, it's more of a novelty although I don't have the newest firmware yet.

This would certainly help the gentleman I saw in Gilroy SC attempt to back into the stall with no cars between him. It was like watching a traffic accident. At that point I was leaving so I didn't see if he completed his task. The other 4 stalls that you drive in going forward were all taken already.

Thanks for the great video, Mark!

Getting my car back from the SC today, so it should have this version.

My question: I already have auto-homelink on, so the garage door will be open already when I line up with my garage door. Currently summon will trigger the garage door before starting, which closes it in this case. I assume it has the same problem now (I wish it would just creep and open the door if it senses a "wall" ahead), or does it know it just sent an auto-homelink "open" code?.
If it does what you described, I will call it a "bug". I think auto garage park opening of the garage door should be based on sensing obstruction, and not be a pre-action.

That's very cool. I've just ordered my next MS, so I'm excited to start playing with all the autopilot features. The problem is it's not a straight shot into my garage, so I assume this won't work for me (yet??). Illustrated below with a dodgy overlay on a streetmap view:

garage.jpg

We're moving later this year, but the new house won't be a straight shot either...it's only a frame right now, but it seems a bit extreme to change the entire design of the house to accommodate this. Well, maybe ;-)

That's very cool. I've just ordered my next MS, so I'm excited to start playing with all the autopilot features. The problem is it's not a straight shot into my garage, so I assume this won't work for me (yet??). Illustrated below with a dodgy overlay on a streetmap view:

View attachment 111873

We're moving later this year, but the new house won't be a straight shot either...it's only a frame right now, but it seems a bit extreme to change the entire design of the house to accommodate this. Well, maybe ;-)

Mine's a 90-desgree turn from the street so I need to do a K-turn to line it up before I could initiate the self-park. I think you'll need to do the same (line it up first).

Would be nice if it could eventually figure out what it needs to do to get to the right position.

Correct. It crawls up to approximately 12-15" and detects an obstruction. Only if there is one will it trigger the Homelink.

That's not how mine has worked when I played with summon to get it out of the garage. Though the garage door is open, the first thing it does is trigger homeland, closing the garage door. Then it starts creeping back, senses and obstruction, and opens the garage door.

(Then it fails summon at some point; for me it's been so flaky I've got maybe a 33% success rate.)

View attachment 111873

You are not alone.

Mine's a 90-degree turn from the street so I need to do a K-turn to line it up before I could initiate the self-park. I think you'll need to do the same (line it up first).

Would be nice if it could eventually figure out what it needs to do to get to the right position.

Similar issue with my garage: 90º turn into garage (no K-turn required)

distance from garage door to driveway 29 feet

Tesla P85D with 21" wheels can drive directly into nearest garage if I hit the apex just right

IMG_3615.JPG

Sure would be nice is Summon could pull in nose first (HPWC is at LR of garage)

Similar issue with my garage: 90º turn into garage (no K-turn required)

distance from garage door to driveway 29 feet

Tesla P85D with 21" wheels can drive directly into nearest garage if I hit the apex just right

View attachment 111882

Sure would be nice is Summon could pull in nose first (HPWC is at LR of garage)

Can't summon go forward or backwards?

My angle's a little tighter, so the K turn is (I'm pretty sure) required.

That's not how mine has worked when I played with summon to get it out of the garage. Though the garage door is open, the first thing it does is trigger homeland, closing the garage door. Then it starts creeping back, senses and obstruction, and opens the garage door.

(Then it fails summon at some point; for me it's been so flaky I've got maybe a 33% success rate.)

Hmmm. I just tried it. If the door is open when I Summon reverse out of the garage, it doesn't trigger HomeLink. If the door is closed, and the sensors detect a door, it triggers it.

Can't summon go forward or backwards?

My angle's a little tighter, so the K turn is (I'm pretty sure) required.

I have a 90 degree turn as well, and using summon is just annoying. Manually I can go in backwards or forwards and enter or leave in a single move, if the car is to be summoned there's a whole bunch of more steps, with more danger of bumping into some sharp stone.

I will try mine again and post a video if it's reproducible.

Not saying I don't believe you, btw. HomeLink is messy... It doesn't report its status so there will always be quirks. For example, if you leave the house with the door open, it tries to Autoclose it when you return. Tesla needs to partner with a company that has a Bluetooth LE (or similar) sensor that can detect the garage door's position.