TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Video of a Model S being stolen in the UK

Discussion in 'Model S' started by .jg., Oct 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. .jg.

.jg. Member

2. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

Another precaution is to purchase the new 80-bit keylength keyfobs...

• Disagree x 1
  3. edlin303

edlin303 Member

I really like the idea of hiding a tile in the car. I always struggled to think of use cases for them that would help me, and that one seems pretty clever.

4. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

What do you mean a tile?

5. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Tile is only useful if it comes by a phone with tile tracking enabled. Way overhyped if you ask me.

• Like x 3
  6. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

Wouldn't have helped in this case as the thieves used a relay which makes the owners keyfob talk to the car as if the keyfob was beside the driver door.

• Like x 4
  7. iCharge

iCharge Member

8. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

Ah, yes, a relay attack -- so the solution is to store the key at a substantial distance from the car, or (better yet), keep the fob in a RF-blocking container such as a small metal box?. The longer-key-length fob is still a good idea for the decryption attack that has been successful in Europe, no? A bluetooth tile is going to be useless for tracking.

9. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

Moderator note: Merging two threads discussing the same incident.

Bruce.

10. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

Yep, RF-blocking container or PIN to drive or turning passive entry off would have thwarted these thieves.

• Like x 1
  11. KArnold

KArnold Member

As I understand the hack, they still have to decrypt the old 40-bit key to relay which is not hard to do with a "rainbow table" of sorts. If so, the 80-bit encryption seems like it would help immensely. Do I not understand this hack correctly?

• Disagree x 1
  12. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

This particular “hack” doesn’t do any decoding. It is amplifying/relaying the existing codes.

The 40 v 80 bit hack that used the rainbow table was effectively making a clone of the key that could be used anywhere.

• Like x 2
  13. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

Yep, this isn't really a hack at all. It's like forwarding mail, you don't have to open the envelope to send it somewhere else.

14. KArnold

KArnold Member

They may still be trying to determine the details. But in looking at one site - Hackers Can Steal a Tesla Model S in Seconds by Cloning Its Key Fob - it seems to imply the 80-bit decryption is required and more problematic. No?

15. iCharge

iCharge Member

@mods Thanks for merging.

I think the message is pretty clear, use that PIN, how ever old school it may sound, it works.
    And strongly consider turning off Passive Entry.

its really a dance of security vs convenience, same as what we witnessed in the smartphone industry.

• Like x 1
  16. iCharge

iCharge Member

I'd rather say, security is a user issue, Tesla **has** provided the means, the user chose not to take advantage of it.

• Like x 1
  17. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

100% agree with you. The 80 bit key fob is better and harder to clone. But the clone process is not what they used in this particular theft, or at least it does not look like it to me.

• Like x 3
  18. iCharge

iCharge Member

to me 40 vs 80 is moot point, why add extra cost to an item when user is not using existing features .
    see above

19. iCharge

iCharge Member

you are correct, this is relay attack, like someone said above, akin to forwarding your mail. dont need to open to forward