Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of accident shows incapacitated driver using AP nag defeat device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tesla dash cam stopped recording "Recent" videos about an hour or so before hitting the curb. So losing 'auto-steer' restart in Autopilot may be related.

Obviously you may be trying to get a rise out of people with this one, but clearly the reason it did not engage was either due to user error, or because Autosteer was not available at the time (as you seemed to be in the middle of an intersection at the time). I think it gave you a message saying so but it is impossible to read. And you would not have been able to process that information in your highly impaired condition, whatever it was.

Reactions: Sherlo
With a very big budget!
Note in the video how there isn't a frame with the car actually on the curb. There is a frame right before hitting the curb and then one of the car swerving to left. I may have just missed it but I want to believe that this is all an elaborate hoax. Who runs their dash cam at such a low frame rate? Is flash memory that expensive? Where is the TeslaCam footage?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Note in the video how there isn't a frame with the car actually on the curb. There is a frame right before hitting the curb and then one of the car swerving to left. I may have just missed it but I want to believe that this is all an elaborate hoax. Who runs their dash cam at such a low frame rate? Is flash memory that expensive? Where is the TeslaCam footage?

It’s true, this is just like that Smart Summon hoax drone video where they photoshopped out the driver, that you astutely pointed out, that showed up on Jalopnik. ;)

Last edited:

What's curious is why the OP decided it was necessary to speed up the video 8x. No audio could be explained by embarrassment, swearing, etc, but...
"Hey guys, watch this incredibly sped up video where you need to slow the speed down to 0.25 to actually see anything"

The fact that the video shows the car veering to the left lane twice before veering to the right nearly mounting the curb twice (with warnings), then finally hitting the curb, my bet is either intoxicated or simply an inability to drive.

Who runs their dash cam at such a low frame rate? Is flash memory that expensive? Where is the TeslaCam footage?
I was also testing my legacy dash cam: (1) highest resolution, (2) view, and; two frames per second (Nyquist limit for every second of data.)

It has nothing to do with flash cost as much as the ability to compress 1,000 km in 10 hours into a reasonably sized YouTube.

That was another problem as there are data gaps in the Tesla cam data. My last set of images were about 4 hours earlier. At the time, I didn't know there were gaps in the data or I would have hit the 'save' image. Inspire of significant accelerations, nothing was saved on the stick. But I've grown unhappy with the Tesla cam video:
  • no time stamps on the frame
  • no GPS stamps on the frame and/or in a parallel stream
  • no acceleration data in a parallel stream
  • no cabin audio or video with the MP4
  • no screen shots of the display
Since Tesla cam is free, the price is right for what we get.

Bob Wilson

View attachment 471537
Is something attached to your steering wheel? A set of nunchakus?

This only new info this video adds is he apparently also puts a weight on the wheel to avoid the nags waking him up.

Two Pounds of Birdshot In A Sock

It's not even new info...

As he says: "Works great in the car but not so good in this forum . . . as you'll soon see."

Looks like it is working great. :rolleyes:

This would all be hilariously funny if there were not a clear & present danger to public safety.

Last edited:
There is a frame right before hitting the curb and then one of the car swerving to left. I may have just missed it but I want to believe that this is all an elaborate hoax.

I think it would be tough to fake this frame but you're the expert on such things. For those of you just tuning in, as far as I can tell you have to view the video on a computer (no idea how to actually view usefully on a phone app) and use the . and , keys to go forward/backward each frame to capture the full insanity.

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 5.51.50 PM.png

I think it would be tough to fake this frame but you're the expert on such things. For those of you just tuning in, as far as I can tell you have to view the video on a computer (no idea how to actually view usefully on a phone app) and use the . and , keys to go forward/backward each frame to capture the full insanity.

View attachment 471677
Quick swerve to the left would do it. :p
I guess the video is probably not fake. There's a warning light that comes on after hitting the curb so I'm guessing the damage is somewhat significant. Looks like the stability control light.
Autopilot wasn't even on at the time of the accident. I think the thread should be titled "Driver assistance features do not make it safe to drive while impaired"

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Two Pounds of Birdshot In A Sock

It's not even new info...

As he says: "Works great in the car but not so good in this forum . . . as you'll soon see."

Looks like it is working great. :rolleyes:

This would all be hilariously funny if there were not a clear & present danger to public safety.
Now that's irony.

Two pounds! I only apply like one ounce of pressure to the wheel with my index finger and thumb. It may only be $1200 to replace the two wheels and tires, but he's lucky not to have been pulled over for all that weaving he did., and cited for distracted driving, and weaving under the influence of hubris, etc., etc., etc.

It may only be $1200 to replace the two wheels and tires, but he's lucky not to have been pulled over for all that weaving he did., and cited for distracted driving, and weaving under the influence of hubris, etc., etc., etc.

It was pointed out above that the traction/stability control is disabled after the accident (watch for the warning light), there may be a warning about battery cooling being disabled (very hard to read the warnings - you kind of have to know what they say in advance and work it out), and a number of other warnings show up - one being "regenerative braking disabled" - but that could be due to the wheel drag I suppose - in any case there is zero regen after the accident occurs. So, I rather suspect the cost will end up being considerably more than $1200. Depends on what errors clear once the wheel circumference issues are resolved. My guess is it could end up being a $20k repair.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Now that's irony.

Two pounds! I only apply like one ounce of pressure to the wheel with my index finger and thumb. It may only be $1200 to replace the two wheels and tires, but he's lucky not to have been pulled over for all that weaving he did., and cited for distracted driving, and weaving under the influence of hubris, etc., etc., etc.

I hope the police have a look at this video... probably not that hard to find a local Bob Wilson with a model 3.

He doesn’t care. He’s very openly and casually admitted he relies on AP to substitute his micro sleep or w/e he wants to call not paying attention and has complete disregard for other people’s lives and property. I would like to think his insurance or the local policy would do something but it’s wishful thinking. There’s enough “evidence” I suppose but nothing will happen until he kills someone.

Systems consist of equal parts of:
  • hardware
  • software
  • people-ware - the user interface
Fortunately, my interests remain balanced between these three factors. It comes from the history of medicine and aviation where a cold, dispassionate review of the facts and data leads to insights. Now the ignorant can't understand hardware and software so they are left with ad hominem . . . which some might have noticed has no effect.

The repairs start with wheels and tires and a through inspection of the suspension and bottom of the car. A wheel alignment will give a lot of clues to what happens next. I don't mind the speculations as each has merit but without facts and data, they are just a hypothesis, not facts and data. Identify the symptom, diagnose the problem, and repair.

Bob Wilson

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Status
Not open for further replies.