Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of accident shows incapacitated driver using AP nag defeat device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, have a family member watch your video and then read this:

Almost every state, including Alabama, has a process for reporting a potentially unsafe driver to its state licensing office or department of motor vehicles. Alabama accepts reports only from family members. If the state agency finds a complaint reasonable and credible, it may ask the reported driver to submit additional information, which could be used to help determine if a screening or assessment is justified.

Visit the Alabama Department of Public Safety website to learn more about the process and possible outcomes. You will be required to provide your name and contact information.

Alabama – AAA Senior Driving
Here is the actual link for anonymous submission Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Online Services and this Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Online Services

This is the kind of crap that pisses me off reading the Bloomberg study. Comments like "accelerated toward the roundabout at 50 MPH" and "failed to negotiate tight curve, crossed centerline and hit truck" were reported as Autopilot "issues".

These are not issues.

These are user error.

At least Bob points out that it was his fault, but come on, using autopilot on surface streets AND using a nag defeat device is just ASKING for trouble. Autopilot does not equal full self driving, not even close. It's a great aid, and I use it literally daily, but I am aware of it's shortcomings and I am not going to ask it to do something for me that it's not capable of doing well. As I said to a friend, that's like getting mad at your toaster because it doesn't make coffee well.

Bob, if you really need all of this stuff to negotiate daily driving, perhaps you really shouldn't be driving.

Bob,

I happened to see this thread just now. (I have you on ignore since our last disagreement about the wisdom of you driving with your “micro sleep” issues and your documented attempts to defeat Tesla safety devices.)

I truly believe that you driving in your condition and hacking safety devices is a serious danger not just to yourself but to other innocent people as well.

You are extremely lucky you haven’t killed someone already.

I also believe that it is now the responsibility of EVERYONE who has seen your postings to report you to your local authorities and Tesla. This can be easily accomplished as you have posted your name and address in other threads.

A lot of us saw this coming months ago and tried to warn you back then.

What happens if his next drive ends up killing some innocent person?

That would be bad, but I'm not aware of whether there is much that can be done about it.

At the moment, it sounds like right front bearing is wobbly (probably the hub assembly is irreversibly damaged too). The front right wheel has excessive, irreparable toe. Also there are serious alignment issues with the right rear wheel. Probably the bearing and hub are destroyed there as well. Presumably various suspension links are also deformed and will require replacement.

In addition, regenerative braking, stability control, autopilot functions, etc., are all completely disabled. Since the autopilot functions are disabled it appears Bob cannot drive anywhere.

Sounds like he's tooling around in his i3 for now (which is somehow possible), while he tries to fix things on his own.

As far as fixing things goes, he has destroyed the harness clip for his wheel speed sensor on the front right wheel, so far.

We'll see how things proceed. But unless Bob throws in the towel and has it flatbedded to the Nashville service center, seems like it might be quite some time before his blue SR is back terrorizing the streets of southern Huntsville.

For obvious reasons, he's made the video of the original incident private. But at least the summary still stands.

As Bob said, the video speaks (spoke) for itself.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
The car drives great but I need to fully inflate the tires. I am thinking about getting another Tire Rack, tire pair so the front matches the really nice rears. When HW 3.0 arrives, I'll ask Tesla Service to do a through check.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
The underbody shield is mounted but not the right rear wheel liner because I don't want to reuse some of the inferior Tesla fasteners. I'll run by Lowes Friday morning to get some wire-nuts with wings. Then I'll take the tire off, install the push pins, a 10 mm bolt, and the new wire nuts, put the tire back on and the car will be fully operational.

Originally planned for this Fall, my wife, her dogs, and I plan to do a grand tour to visit relatives:
grand_tour_010.jpg

• Mom
  • Uncle Frank, Sandra, and Cousin Wee Gee
  • High school friend Beau and Charlene
  • Brother Will
  • Brother George
  • Aunt Jane
  • Brother Charles
  • Cousin Mary Jane
  • Prius Friend Eric
  • Brother Dave
  • Wife's son Antony
  • Wife's kids Michael, Rosalyn, Michelle, Tammy
  • Home again
It is more fun to visit relatives while we are on this side of grass. With luck, we'll have HW V3 by the late Spring. The schools should still be in session so we can hit the window between Spring Break and end of the school year. I look forward to showing off the car and meeting face-to-face with:
@Needsdecaf (TX),
@Electrph (CA), @Sherlo (CA), @jjrandorin (CA), @DS 5/15 (CA),
@Daniel in SD (CA), @Sherlo (CA), @AltLogic (CA),​
@Sophias_dad (MA), @mreynolds767 (MA),
@Rachmaninov (NJ), @Burrito (NJ), @dmurphy (NJ),
@Xenoilphobe (VA), @derotam (VA)
. . .
@Knightshade (NC), @dryland (NC),
@KenC (ME), @KenC (ME),
@PLau (TOR)
Some might have to drive to the cities we'll be visiting ... if you're curious or not.

Bob Wilson

ps, Technical details:
I am heartbroken... Rim damages & repairs - Tesla Owners Online

Yea this is an awesome deep fake :)
Happens to be hitting all cities those in this thread reside ... or believes they do ... well done sir
Just using what is publicly available. But there is a method to the madness.

In the early days of bulletin boards, we periodically got in great 'flame wars.' Partisanship is not a recent invention. So I started calling for a 'pizza night':
Bob's Birthday Bash
Tuesday Oct. 26

What we found is 'breaking bread' has a marvelous way to reduce bitter, back-biting comments on the Internet. When sitting within arm reach, at least in Dixie, common courtesy returns and it carries forward in posting behavior. So I figured, when we do our great tour, we'll see if anyone shows up. If not, no problem, but it won't be me that scared the others off.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
The underbody shield is mounted but not the right rear wheel liner because I don't want to reuse some of the inferior Tesla fasteners. I'll run by Lowes Friday morning to get some wire-nuts with wings. Then I'll take the tire off, install the push pins, a 10 mm bolt, and the new wire nuts, put the tire back on and the car will be fully operational.

Originally planned for this Fall, my wife, her dogs, and I plan to do a grand tour to visit relatives:
grand_tour_010.jpg

• Mom
  • Uncle Frank, Sandra, and Cousin Wee Gee
  • High school friend Beau and Charlene
  • Brother Will
  • Brother George
  • Aunt Jane
  • Brother Charles
  • Cousin Mary Jane
  • Prius Friend Eric
  • Brother Dave
  • Wife's son Antony
  • Wife's kids Michael, Rosalyn, Michelle, Tammy
  • Home again
It is more fun to visit relatives while we are on this side of grass. With luck, we'll have HW V3 by the late Spring. The schools should still be in session so we can hit the window between Spring Break and end of the school year. I look forward to showing off the car and meeting face-to-face with:
@Needsdecaf (TX),
@Electrph (CA), @Sherlo (CA), @jjrandorin (CA), @DS 5/15 (CA),
@Daniel in SD (CA), @Sherlo (CA), @AltLogic (CA),​
@Sophias_dad (MA), @mreynolds767 (MA),
@Rachmaninov (NJ), @Burrito (NJ), @dmurphy (NJ),
@Xenoilphobe (VA), @derotam (VA)
. . .
@Knightshade (NC), @dryland (NC),
@KenC (ME), @KenC (ME),
@PLau (TOR)​
Some might have to drive to the cities we'll be visiting ... if you're curious or not.

Bob Wilson

ps, Technical details:
I am heartbroken... Rim damages & repairs - Tesla Owners Online
That’s pretty much the worst possible road trip through California. You should drive along the coast, that’s where all the Teslas are. There is also nice scenery. You’re right to avoid San Diego though, horrible place. :p

You’re right to avoid San Diego though, horrible place.
I went through just over 11 weeks of Marine bootcamp in San Diego next to the airport. About halfway to Los Angeles, I spent another couple of months at Camp Pendleton for Infantry Training Regiment (ITR.) ITR had grenades, TNT, pre-GPS night navigation, and fully automatic, M16s ... fun stuff.

About a year later in 1972, I had orders for Okinawa Japan and a worse experience than the Marine gas hut. Taking a cloverleaf in Riverside, the pollution was so bad my eyes involuntarily teared up. Fortunately I had a t-shirt and some small amount of melted ice water and was able to clear the pain and regain sight.

Bob Wilson

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Status
Not open for further replies.