Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of accident shows incapacitated driver using AP nag defeat device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Systems consist of equal parts of:
  • hardware
  • software
  • people-ware - the user interface
Fortunately, my interests remain balanced between these three factors. It comes from the history of medicine and aviation where a cold, dispassionate review of the facts and data leads to insights. Now the ignorant can't understand hardware and software so they are left with ad hominem . . . which some might have noticed has little effect.

The repairs start with wheels and tires and a through inspection of the suspension and bottom of the car. A wheel alignment will give a lot of clues to what happens next. I don't mind the speculations as each has merit but without facts and data, they are just a hypothesis, not facts and data. Identify the symptom, diagnose the problem, and repair.

Bob Wilson

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Identify the symptom, diagnose the problem, and repair.

You may want to apply this strategy to your medical condition.

without facts and data,

The fact is that you have stability control disabled and regen disabled and a red exclamation on your screen. Pretty sure that is hard data and it is not a good sign at all. Especially since your tires were apparently holding air, so it wasn’t a low pressure warning. Maybe they are just so misshapen that it messes up the system - I guess you can hope!

I noticed your custom member title is “hit the spot.” You may want to change that to “hit the curb.”

Last edited:
Now the ignorant can't understand hardware and software

Do not mistake disgust for ignorance.

Identify the symptom, diagnose the problem, and repair.

The hardware and software performed exactly as designed. It's the wetware that clearly is defective, and needs a recall here.

I needed to wait for daylight as flash photos can be misleading.

The repairs start with wheels and tires and a through inspection of the suspension and bottom of the car.

Still no pictures of the damage here...so maybe this is all an elaborate deep fake? We can hope!

Those cooling tubes going into the battery are VERY close to the inside of the fender liner.

I expect to see: Damage to the front underbody aero panel, damage to the wheel speed sensors & hub, damage to the half-axle, damage to the lower control arms, damage to the rocker panels (for sure the plastic part and perhaps the steel upper part as well), damage to the fender liner, and damage to front of the battery (possibly a cracked or leaking hose). And of course lots of damage to the wheels and tires.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Example of possible affected area behind the front right wheel (on AWD vehicle):

IMG_5987.jpg

Last edited:
I took a closer look at the warnings post "accident" in the video, and it looks to me like they are:

"Stability control disabled"
"Regenerative Braking Disabled"

and a couple other related warnings that tend to go together if you look at other posts here with these warnings.

But upon review nothing about battery cooling warnings, I don't think there are any such warnings - they all seem to look like the other warnings. So perhaps Bob has avoided battery damage in spite of running into a curb at high speed 2-3 times.

I do wonder what the malfunction is that is causing these errors - presumably a wheel speed sensor or other wheel speed related issue - and maybe it will indeed clear once the presumably misshapen wheels are swapped. In general people seem to have required service to get these warnings to clear when they are persistent, though.

I'm sure Bob will give us the full damage report soon enough.

• Informative
Reactions: trisk and Sherlo
I'm a patient man and have a plan to video/photo everything:
  1. New wheels and tires arrive and inspect
  2. Chock tires and remove driver side, rear tire, measure tread depths
  3. Install first new tire
  4. Remove front damaged passenger side tire
    1. inspect and photo all linkages, hoses, and scrapes
    2. mark all wheel and tire damage and measure tread depth and photo
    3. measure hub in/out, up/down, and front/rear tolerances
    4. check drive shaft for reference
    5. install former driver side rear and check for 'slop in the system' (especially bearings)
  5. Remove rear damaged passenger side tire
    1. inspect and photo all linkages, hoses, and scrapes
    2. mark all wheel and tire damage and measure tread depth and photo
    3. measure hub in/out, up/down, and front/rear tolerances
    4. check drive shaft
    5. install second new tire and check for 'slop in the system' (especially bearings)
  6. Unify tire pressures
  7. Short 'sanity' drive to check handling and listen for noises
If everything seems sane, put the car on the L2 charger and schedule appointment at Nashville service center. If a problem, take it to local Firestone store and ask for their inspection and an alignment.

Can you think of anything else?

Bob Wilson

Can you think of anything else?

Bob Wilson

Yes, have a family member watch your video and then read this:

Almost every state, including Alabama, has a process for reporting a potentially unsafe driver to its state licensing office or department of motor vehicles. Alabama accepts reports only from family members. If the state agency finds a complaint reasonable and credible, it may ask the reported driver to submit additional information, which could be used to help determine if a screening or assessment is justified.

Visit the Alabama Department of Public Safety website to learn more about the process and possible outcomes. You will be required to provide your name and contact information.

Alabama – AAA Senior Driving

I can get the gist of what happened here, but am somewhat surprised so many of you are still engaging in discussion with the OP of this thread. I only know who it is because of some of you mentioning "micro sleeps". The blatant disregard for others displayed when this OP joined and bragged about being able to "fall asleep safely while driving" made me stop paying attention to this OP.

This was inevitable, but why is anyone surprised or even discussing it with the OP?

This was inevitable, but why is anyone surprised or even discussing it with the OP?

I can’t exactly describe why, but I find it sort of fascinating. It may also be a deep, deep fake, which would be super interesting. It is things like this that make you really wonder whether Elon is right about life being a simulation! It’s like a glitch in the matrix.

Pictures or it didn’t happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.