Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of Autopilot Preventing an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video is really making the rounds on the web. The backstory is rather compelling as well. College student, obssesed with Tesla, bought a MS with TSLA stock profits and was an Uber driver in the vid.

Guy in Seattle was driving way to fast.

I didn't think so. I was under the speed limit. You might be one of those people that always drive as if someone is going to pull in front of you 100% of the time.

It was about 3 seconds from when traffic had stopped (it frequently backs up to make right turns on this highway) to when I got cut off. What speed would have been a safe speed? 20 mph? Slow enough to be able to stop if a car pulls out in front of you (which evidently, I was!)?

The issue with slowing to 20 mph (less than half the speed limit), is that it's equally dangerous. If the car behind me is going the speed limit, and looks down to pick up their phone or yell at their kids, I run an equal risk of them smashing in behind me. I don't follow the logic.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think it is the TACC that prevented the accident. Also why is he using autopilot on those roads, clearly not a highway and contains many intersections..

It is a highway with some limited abilities to make left hand turns, but there IS a barrier that runs along 90% of it.

Certainly not as ideal as a freeway, but not completely out of line to be using Autopilot here. The name of the roadway is actually SR-99.

I think it was the Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) feature that prevented that accident, not Autopilot.
AP is an option, AEB is currently standard on the S and X.

Yes. I was using autopilot at the time, but as most owners know, the systems are technically separate. I just figured with all the "autopilot trying to kill me" BS I would balance it with a real example of it avoiding what could have been a nasty accident, since by (bad) luck I had the opportunity to experience it first hand.

Didn't expect it to take off like it did. Dash cam videos aren't great quality (but are genuine!). That's Tesla and the internet for you.

I agree with CR's conclusion: in that particular case the AEB kicked in and prevented an accident, it wasn't AP. I posted that position earlier in this thread. I realize some people consider the AEB part of AP, but in my opinion it is not. AEB is standard on all Teslas built since late Sep 2014. AP is an option.

It's a pretty meaningless semantic discussion. Autosteer and TACC was engaged at the time of the near miss. It doesn't make any sense to me to think of "Autopilot" as "just auto steering" or "just blind spot monitoring" or "just emergency braking". It's an aggregate of all the technologies working together inside of one vehicle to make driving more safe.

The point is, the car prevented an accident, and that's awesome. I disagree with CR implying that it is equivalent to any other cars AEB. If we are getting nit picky, the Model S brakes faster, and is safer in an accident. Brembo could argue that it wasn't the AEB system that saved the day, but their high quality brake components. Those few feet make a difference after all.

Had the car barreled into the oncoming car, and I posted a video saying "First accident using Autopilot" I am skeptical that CR would have come to Tesla's defense saying "Actually, the autopilot worked fine, it was just the AEB that failed". Sounds ridiculous in the reverse.

As a side note, I would rather have to take a car in more often than die or kill someone. I guess Consumer reports disagrees, but that's okay

Update:

I guess Tesla's own website makes the point better than me :)

Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control. Digital control of motors, brakes, and steering helps avoid collisions from the front and sides, as well as preventing the car from wandering off the road. Model S can also scan for a parking space, alert you when one is available, and parallel park on command.

Last edited: