TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Video of fully autonomous Chevy Bolt driving around San Francisco

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by bro1999, Jan 20, 2017.

1. bro1999

bro1999 Member

• Like x 2
  2. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

Amazing. Really glad I don't have to drive around SF myself!

3. McRat

McRat Active Member

OK. I'm mildly impressed.

So far all the Autonomous videos I've seen are speeded up. I wonder why that is?

4. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Impressive. With so many objects,wires.lights etc....even a computer can have difficulty finding a red light. It stopped though.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I wonder if some of it is for unnaturally long delays for obstacles... I'd like both sped up and normal speed videos. One for simple brevity and one for critique.

6. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Do they have a slower speed version? The camera seems to be weaving left/right a lot and making me dizzy, even when the car is going straight, I wonder if at slower speed (closer to actual speed), we can see what is the reason for the weaving motion.

7. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Supporting Member

It did not seem to be capable to keep up with traffic.

Also, I would love to see picture of the exterior of this car - does it have cacophony of roof mounted gizmos?

Here we go - found it - a thing of profound beauty.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  8. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

playback speed- open it in youtube you can slow it down to 0.25 speed
    ... at which point all manner of issues are apparent.

As has been said, apparently good attempt by GM/Cruise but far too many unknowns to assess really.

A full framerate realtime video from inside the vehicle with view of the steering/controls is a bare minimum, plus we have no idea how much detail the vehicle was pre "optimised" for the route shown.

• Helpful x 1
  9. McRat

McRat Active Member

In November, 2284 autonomous miles with 6 disengagements. Not too bad. I would not have thought they were that far yet.

10. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

11. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

12. vgrinshpun

So, you have no concerns that the demo might be "doctored"?

13. schonelucht

Contrary to Tesla's report, Cruise report on disengagements with the Californian DMV is consistent with what they show in the video and consistent with how a normal development cycle would go. So, no.

14. vgrinshpun

Tesla report is consistent as well, as was explained several times by several people. You just do not want to accept that Tesla development cycle is different than others.

15. Nick S

Nick S Flash - MX

This is good news for consumers. Finally other manufactures are getting serious about providing AP features. So far the AP demos have been chartware and on their EV products lines. Wonder how many will port this functionality to their ICE fleet. AP is definitely a market disrupting feature. It could accelerate EV adoption.With more manuf. introducing AP (Tesla, GM, Volvo, MB ... ) next few years are going to be very interesting. Will be great to see how Tesla's team maintains their lead when the big boys start chasing them. It is entirely possible one of the big boys will just buy instead of build their AP functionality and try to acquire Tesla. Just speculation based upon history not backed by any concrete facts.

16. schonelucht

No, because it would be an extraordinary claim that Tesla develops like no development team does (car or other) And for such an extraordinary claim there is not the smallest shred of evidence except that it could be possible in the same way that it could be possible that tomorrow aliens land on our planet.

Again here are the facts. In October, Elon had to postpone a highly anticipated public demo because their team struggled to put together the video. This was explicitly acknowleged by Elon and the 168 disengagements officially reported clearly support that claim. In November they ran 20 miles uninterrupted in basically exactly the same environment. Why the sudden progress?

That's just not consistent with how you expect normal development to go. You claim Tesla's development model is different? Well, let's compare with Tesla's own development on the exact same hardware and software platform. EAP. We are not going to get closer than that. In December the 'release' EAP is not able to do several things that you'd necessarily need for autonomous drive. Ie, not freak out over hills, keeping a stable model of where line markings are, blind spot detection, react to very basic merging information, interpreting signs, ... Over the following 6 weeks they release a few versions that only marginally improve said functionality. May I remind you that progress is WITH the benefit of millions of miles in shadow mode.

Progress is slow and gradual. That is just the nature of software development. And no, deep learning and AI don't change that. Going from 168 disengagements to zero in the span of 4 weeks and then suddenly losing all progress when they release EAP has never been explained except through some handwaving that 'Tesla is different'.

17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

When data collection is exponential progress is not necessarily slow and gradual.

18. vgrinshpun

It is you who wave hands a lot here. As was pointed out more than once, this is similar to the progress that was done with AP1, including that it was also late.

19. electracity

electracity Active Member

regressive?

20. schonelucht

AP1 went from 168 disengagements in one month to zero?