TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Video of how much juice the HPWC pulls.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jaysquyres, May 9, 2013.

1. jaysquyres

jaysquyres Member

#1 jaysquyres, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    Charging2.jpg I was curious to see how much juice my car pulls, so I had a meter hooked up to it at my office. Pulling 80 Amps is a lot of juice - 20 kW giving you 62 miles of range per hour. It seems like it pulls more energy than most homes with everything on - including the AC. This is a public station, so if you need free juice, come on by. Here is the video if you would like to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOcQBIH3Nw
    Here is the address:

Apex Express, Inc.
    Jay Squyres 972-409-9500
    2619 Brenner Dr.
    Dallas, TX 75220

HPWC is available Monday-Friday 8am-5pm (inside warehouse)
    Outside there is a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 plug ALWAYS available!
    It’s on the left side of the building towards the back gate, on the white wall. NEMA14-50.jpg

Here are pictures, if you want free juice ANYTIME ChargingOut.jpg : WallLocation.jpg OutsideCharger.jpg

2. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

lol awesome.

My house pulls about 75KWh in one DAY, so pulling 80+ in 4 hours is quite a bit!

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I'm debating whether my meter could be used for throwing clay pigeons as well as measuring my electricity consumption. At the peak of summer I use 6,500 kWh a month without the car. Imagine the spin on that meter. :)

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Dang! What draws so much power? Do you keep your house at a balmy 68 or something?

I only use about 600kWh Oct-May, and ~1600kWh average Jun-Sept. Without the car. With the car I am going to increase about 700kWh a month. And I thought I used a lot.

5. Zextraterrestrial

Holy power, wow
    What do you grow?? :wink:

6. Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic EU Sport 359 & S94

:eek: The average energy consumption for a house in the Netherlands is 3500 kWh a Year!

7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Apex Express sounds very familiar, I'm in California but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere
    Nice of you guys to share the chargers!

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Mostly refrigeration units - two A/C compressors, an upright freezer, 2 refrigerators, and a beverage chiller -- I have a small orchard (~70 trees) so we have to store a lot of stuff over the year. Throw in a small battalion of computing and network gear for my day job, and a swimming pool pump, and you have a big bill. It ranges from about 3,000 kWh/month to 6,500 kWh/month.

House is kept at 74, a fine compromise between my ideal 70 and my wife's ideal 85.

9. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

And the average size of a home in the Netherlands is???

The mean temperature in Amsterdam in July 2012 is 72 degrees. Dew point is 55.

The mean temp in St. Louis, MO in July 2012 is 88 with a dew point of 65.

Now, do you understand why the folks in St. Louis use more kWh than Netherlands?

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

sounds like my house a little bit. during the summer months over the last few years I pull about 3500kWh on average, so that's going to jump this summer with the Model S. I also have a "battalion" of computer gear and central air. Air during the day is 74 and at night 68.

11. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Probably not if you cook and heat with electricity...

My heat pump alone uses 10-11.000kWh per year to heat my two buildings (270m2 total) and make hot water, here in Norway.

12. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

Jay, thanks for offering the electrons. With a Supercharger in place, my 60 could reach Dallas and it'll be thirsty when it arrives!