Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of My Model 3 Getting Broken into. Glass options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model 3 was broken into today. Caught the guy on video. Not sure what, if anything, the Sheriff's office will do with this. What a crappy start to the year.

Question for everyone. Since I'm replacing my passenger front glass anyways, will the dual glass 2021 version fit? I saw mixed messages with some saying it's a direct fit while others saying it's too thick. Can anyone confirm?

Also what is the cost for replacing the glass? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth using my insurance on this or not?

What do you guys think?

• Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p
sentry mode for the win. curious, with a window break does the car not sound an alarm (horn)? I realize sentry cam does not record audio, did you receive a notification on your phone?

I hope they do go after him, you literally got the perfect image with license plate as well. At the very least you can also provide to your insurance company and make it go viral on on social media and contact your local ABC/NBC network

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p and LionXng
sentry mode for the win. curious, with a window break does the car not sound an alarm (horn)? I realize sentry cam does not record audio, did you receive a notification on your phone?

I hope they do go after him, you literally got the perfect image with license plate as well. At the very least you can also provide to your insurance company and make it go viral on on social media and contact your local ABC/NBC network
there is a 101% chance either that car or license plate was stolen

Reactions: TexanEV
My understanding is, in San Fransisco such predations on citizens and their property are not prosecuted by the district attorney's office.

Welcome to the new world.

Rich

It's tough. No one wants property theft. But sending out a detective to dust for prints to maybe figure out who broke into a house and stole a $300 TV is not a great use of resources.

In this case, they have the actual plate of who did it. I suspect it becomes a lot easier to deal with.

My understanding is, in San Fransisco such predations on citizens and their property are not prosecuted by the district attorney's office.

Welcome to the new world.

Rich

sad, but most places will do nothing with this unless the identity of the person is known. As someone else mentioned, if the person/vehicle was involved in another incident they would pursue the charge.

before the focus starts getting to be too much on the break in, the OPs question was around any suggestions around getting the glass repaired. I say this, to head off the inevitable discussion around what gets prosecuted where, in what state, by which department, etc.

Reactions: Dave EV
A few things I've learned from this:
1. Alarm does not go off unless they open the door - these guys knew that and so they just broke the window and reached in
2. Bury the sentry memory stick as best you can in the compartment. Because the guy was reaching in, he couldn't get to it to remove it. 2021s will not have to worry if that is in the glove.
3. Laminated glass will definitely make it harder for them to break the window. This is one of the reasons I want to switch mine to the 2021 front glass
4. I looked at the parts on https://epc.tesla.com/#/catalogs, it looks like the glass is the only difference in the 2021. The mechanism for holding the bottom of the glass and the rubber seal on the top don't have a different part number for the 2021s. I'll see if I can get a hold of anyone at Tesla service to confirm.
5. The Sheriff's computer can easily look up registration info. He was able to confirm the color and make of the car as well as the registration location (Sacramento). So he has the owner's name and address. The issue is that he will just send all that to an investigative office. Depending on how busy they are, they may or may not look into it.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p and KenC
If you're handy, just rock up to the Tesla parts counter and buy the glass yourself and replace it. It's a few hundred dollars, and easy to replace. I would never open a incident with insurance over a few hundred dollars and have that strike against you.

In terms of the thicker glass fitting, just ask them what's the return policy and buy it and if it doesn't fit, return it. Then report back to us so we can all know.

Although, I have lost a lot of interest in upgrading to the laminated windows because all the reviewers say they can't tell a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
A few things I've learned from this:
3. Laminated glass will definitely make it harder for them to break the window. This is one of the reasons I want to switch mine to the 2021 front glass
4. I looked at the parts on https://epc.tesla.com/#/catalogs, it looks like the glass is the only difference in the 2021. The mechanism for holding the bottom of the glass and the rubber seal on the top don't have a different part number for the 2021s. I'll see if I can get a hold of anyone at Tesla service to confirm.
You can see in the video below how the new laminated glass compares to the older tempered glass.

If replacing broken glass, then it might worth it to go with laminated since it's only a little more expensive. Otherwise, if it isn't already damaged, it's probably not worth the expense.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
even if it was so, if the catch the stolen car/plate perp, they could be linked back to this incident

They won't make that level of effort. SF is open season for property crime, they don't enforce the laws or try and keep these scumbags off the street. If you want your property protected, you've gotta do it yourself.

The rest of the bay area is hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Reactions: TBrownTX and DanCar

You are fooling yourself here. Laminated glass is still glass. Once the thief breaks the glass, just as easily as he breaks non-laminated glass, the broken laminated glass has about the same folding strength as a sheet of cardboard. Since the windows are not glued on all 4 sides to the body of the car, like the windshield, it will just fold out of their way. It actually makes it a little less messy for them to do their job of robbing you blind.

And to top it off, most thieves are breaking the rear windows, which you can not buy as laminated glass anyway, to get items off the back seat and from the trunk.

You are fooling yourself here. Laminated glass is still glass. Once the thief breaks the glass, just as easily as he breaks non-laminated glass, the broken laminated glass has about the same folding strength as a sheet of cardboard. Since the windows are not glued on all 4 sides to the body of the car, like the windshield, it will just fold out of their way.

Did you watch the video shared above? The glass doesn't break anywhere near as easy. The little glass breaker tools they use won't do much to the window. Will it stop a determined thief? Of course not, but it does slow them down and make it more obvious to bystanders what they are doing.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker