Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video of roadster steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have video of the roadster steering? I am interested to see how the steering yolk (not wheel) turns the wheels. I have a feeling there is a chance for steer by wire and the wheel never needs to turn more than 90deg.

The only thing I have seen are the ytube videos for the reveal. In those it seems like a lot of turn (more than one revolution) when doing a tight turn. But it should be steer by wire.
I'd suspect for safety concerns mechanical steering is the "backup/fail safe" for the electrical Bosch steering unit:
[I'm guessing Tesla uses all Bosch - warning, I have NOT verified]
https://www.bosch-mobility-solution...g-systems/folder_for_steering_systems_pkw.pdf

Model S - certainly Bosch supplied steering units for Model S [Model X and Model 3 ? I didn't verify]
Tesla's Voluntary Recall For 123,000 Early Model S Sedans Due To Bosch-Supplied Power-Steering Bolts | CleanTechnica
Bosch VP on next steps for steering technologies

If you want/need more details you'll have to search for yourself.

NOTE: This page would imply that the steering unit and the brakes might be Tesla designs [specs for sure, right?]
Revealed: Tesla Model 3's secret technology

How many Bosch parts ??

The only thing I have seen are the ytube videos for the reveal. In those it seems like a lot of turn (more than one revolution) when doing a tight turn. But it should be steer by wire.

Not sure why you got a disagree on that posting.

Probably same car, but you can clearly see in this video from the Investor Day that Tesla hasn't really thought through on the steering with the type of steering wheel they're using. It clearly requires at least 360 degree of the steering wheel to just make that turn. The ratios don't look right for an electric supercar with that type of steering wheel.
Tesla should take some ideas from Porsche with how they do their electrical steering (you can even set the max degree).

Not sure why you got a disagree on that posting.

Probably same car, but you can clearly see in this video from the Investor Day that Tesla hasn't really thought through on the steering with the type of steering wheel they're using. It clearly requires at least 360 degree of the steering wheel to just make that turn. The ratios don't look right for an electric supercar with that type of steering wheel.
Tesla should take some ideas from Porsche with how they do their electrical steering (you can even set the max degree).
side note: Joe Rogan interview of Elon Musk. Elon owned a 911 (996? I think) So Elon well understands the "feeling" of Porsche. He bought the Porsche cause he likes how it feels to drive. And you can't just "copy/steal" other companies components - perhaps Porsche has patents on their system??

i think that wheel won't be on the production model.

Agree.

Unfortunately

Disagree. :D

It's a terrible design/idea for a steering wheel in anything that's not a dedicated race car, especially when it requires 360+ degrees of rotation in either direction to reach the max steering angle. It'd be impractical and unsafe in everyday driving.

Reactions: ICUDoc
At first I thought this was an impractical gimmicky design, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Good:
1. "9 and 3" are the proper steering wheel positions and this steering wheel forces you to maintain the proper driving position (when not in autopilot)
2. From the limited pictures we have seen, your hands seem to be in an ergonomic position.
3. Formula cars have this type of steering wheel.
4. The cut out top or the steering wheel allows full visualization of the "augmented reality HUD"!!

Bad:
1. Not a good design for track use.
2. The limited number of buttons on the wheel need to be highly customizable.
3. Either the steering wheel needs to retract or the seat must automatically pull back upon exit or entry.
4. When the steering wheel is at 90 degrees (in a vertical position) it cannot be so wide as to get stuck in my crotch!!

Obviously, Tesla should offer the choice between this wheel for people who want to feel like they are flying a plane (and have bought the Space X option to boot) and a flat bottom wheel for track use and people who cannot handle too much innovation all at one time.

At the 0:45 mark here you see an F1 car do a full 180 degree turn at the Fairmont hairpin turn in Monaco. Note the steering wheel requires just over 180 degrees of movement to execute the ‘U-turn’ which is the worst case. This is quite manageable as A normal a 90 degree right or left turn can be executed without having to remove both hands from the wheel and with comfort.

https://youtu.be/RVz6IW_wegs

No reason why they can't have it 1/4 turn for manoeuvring and less sensitive when driving fast.
1. Not a good design for track use.
3. Formula cars have this type of steering wheel.
Contradicting statements

2. The limited number of buttons on the wheel need to be highly customizable.
Can be done, see Model 3

4. When the steering wheel is at 90 degrees (in a vertical position) it cannot be so wide as to get stuck in my crotch!!
It'll only be as wide as a normal steering wheel