TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[VIDEO] Paid $500 for chrome delete, and the guy utterly screwed up the job.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by ProtonSF, Jul 2, 2018.

?

What should I do?

1. Sue him

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Slap him

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

This is half venting and half a warning to those looking for aftermarket services. Like many of you, my Model 3 is the most expensive purchase I've made in my life so far, and I've done nothing but to care for it. I found a place with 5 star reviews and the guy seemed to know what he was doing, so I trusted him.

I came back to a mini nightmare: thin chrome streaks showing in several places, and clear "patches" in some areas, where the vinyl overlapped with one another. There was also this black greasy looking substance on a part of the vinyl that I could not get off - I suspect he used paint or something else to cover a flaw in the job. Fine, I can live with these so far.

Finally, my significant other points out a fray on the top passenger side of the door. 5-6 rivets look like a tool went over it on accident and created several small, deep cuts that shows a silver metallic material underneath. Video below. From just a few hours of research there is not much I can find on how to fix this - if they were just light scratches or scuffs I could use a heat gun or fine sand paper to buff it out, but this isn't that situation. He didn't bother pointing this out to me when I picked up the car.

Anyway, I am going in tomorrow to talk to him about this. So far he seems like an OK guy, although if he gets defensive or denies he caused it, I have no idea what recourse I would have.

2. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

How does the wrap look tho

3. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Are those cuts or bubbles? Hard to tell from the video.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Chrome delete is overplayed ....also doesn’t last long ...mine on S lasted about 2 1/2 years with a good install ...I have learned to appreciate the chrome ! :eek:

5. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

They are cuts, down to whatever metallic material is below it. There would be no bubbles because that is not where he installed the vinyl - he installed it about 1 inch away from that.

6. ProtonSF

ProtonSF Member

$500 every 2.5 years is fine with me, to be honest. I really like the blacked-out look.

• Like x 2