Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video & Pics: Tesla hides large number of Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few Tesla (TSLA) lovers have spotted the electric car maker hiding nearly 2,000 of the Model 3 cars in an industrial area surrounding parking lots around California. They immediately took Twitter as the medium of exchanging and sharing this info along with photos and videos of the building. Also, about 4,000 vehicles were discovered in Burbank.

Check out the video and pictures of the industrial area - Tesla hides large number of Model 3 cars | AlphaStreet

I don't think "hide" was the right word. ;)

upload_2018-7-20_12-43-0.png

Hiding? Or temporarily storing until they can be delivered?

I do not know what to think. Has Tesla progressed beyond "production hell"..........
and has now entered a new phase called "delivery hell?"

I'm sure (I want to believe) there is a logical explanation for the storage ..... but I can't think what it might be.
If Tesla is concerned about profit ........ doesn't it make more sense to deliver finished vehicles and get them to buyers as quickly as possible?

I do not know what to think. Has Tesla progressed beyond "production hell"..........

I'm sure (I want to believe) there is a logical explanation for the storage ..... but I can't think what it might be.
If Tesla is concerned about profit ........ doesn't it make more sense to deliver finished vehicles and get them to buyers as quickly as possible?
The logical explanation is that they now need to expand their delivery logistics to keep up with their increased production. Elon himself has mentioned that delivery will be a bottleneck.

Reactions: SageBrush
Tesla West Coast Distribution Center

CITY OF LATHROP PLANNING COMMISSION MAY 30, 2018

City Planning Video @ 1:53:02

1500 Tesla parked on site aka Tesla West Coast Distribution Center

Another 48 acres/870K sqft being developed and leased to Tesla.

"We use Lathrop as a loading hub for cars being shipped to other locations for delivery to customers," a Tesla spokesperson said in a statement to Business Insider. "As our deliveries increase, we're obviously going to have more cars there."

I am one of the faithful .... so I am not looking to criticize.

If I were a stockholder, which I am not, I'd not be too happy about merchandize sitting on storage lots and not bringing in income.

If I had been notified my vehicle was waiting transit, which I have not, I would not want my brand new beauty sitting on a lot where vandals, vermin and inclement weather can prey upon it.

Did upper management not associate the need for transportation in connection with the ramp-up?

I am one of the faithful .... so I am not looking to criticize.

If I were a stockholder, which I am not, I'd not be too happy about merchandize sitting on storage lots and not bringing in income.

If I had been notified my vehicle was waiting transit, which I have not, I would not want my brand new beauty sitting on a lot where vandals, vermin and inclement weather can prey upon it.

Did upper management not associate the need for transportation in connection with the ramp-up?

I was an east coast delivery. my car did a lot of sitting around. My total in-transit period was almost 4 weeks. Logistics of getting the car from factory to truck to rail, multiple stops on rail, unexpected rail delays unrelated to Tesla, sitting around for trucks to take to service center, final delivery truck... it's not a straightforward process. Production is now at a rate that delivery is the bottleneck. Storage is absolutely essential, even if just as a buffer to production surges.

Pretty sure "upper management" worries a lot more about this stuff than you.

Reactions: emorog and Joe F

Now entering demand hell if all the stories coming out are true. One problem for Tesla is if the public gets the perception right or wrong that demand is low, they will less likely be interested in the car. The best way to get people to want something is tell them they can't get it.