Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Real-Time Autopilot Commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday, I recorded my entire commute using autopilot--from my home garage to my office parking lot. Along the way, I offered my thoughts on using autopilot, where it tends to work well, and where it tends to get confused (what else are you going to do for 40+ minutes?)

I also kept timers for the entire drive showing cumulative time driving manually, and while on autopilot.

If you're waiting for your car, this may help you learn more about autopilot. If you're pondering whether you want to purchase the autopilot upgrade, this may help you make your decision. Or you may immediately find this boring, in which case you can move on :).

Every once in awhile I say something that doesn't quite make sense. My apologies, I didn't have a script :). Also, the dashcam I used to record this didn't have any exposure control so while the cabin is well-exposed, the roadway is unfortunately washed out in places. Sorry for that--hopefully the video still provides to be useful for some.

Last edited:
Something is wrong with us. Something is very wrong. I drove my Tesla using autopilot to the office to get some work done on a Sunday - and here I am contemplating watching a video of another nerd drive to work in his Tesla.

Seriously, we need some help around here.

Update: I hit play. I am actually sitting at my desk watching you drive to work while my own Tesla is parked a few feet away. I am so ashamed of myself. :sob:

Haha...I admit this is nerdy, but directed more toward those who don't have it and are curious. Most autopilot videos out there are "highway driving only"...while of course that's the "intended" use, it's very usable on city roads and I haven't seen too many videos of that around.

(And also, to help contrast my experience with those who say 7.1's autopilot is all over the map).

Reactions: calisnow
Something is wrong with us. Something is very wrong. I drove my Tesla using autopilot to the office to get some work done on a Sunday - and here I am contemplating watching a video of another nerd drive to work in his Tesla.

Seriously, we need some help around here.

Update: I hit play. I am actually sitting at my desk watching you drive to work while my own Tesla is parked a few feet away. I am so ashamed of myself. :sob:

Personally, I enjoy my Tesla-derived psychotic disorder. :eek: It entertains me endlessly. Too bad I have no more friends...

Reactions: calisnow
Excellent, very informative, thanks for taking the time to share in such detail. On the interstate, how do the nags escalate if ignored? E.g. heaven forbid you fell asleep, does it get progressively louder or does it at some point just turn off?

First you get just the on-screen notification.

Then you get beeping.

Then constant beeping.

Then the car begins slowing, activating hazards and finally bringing you to a stop right there on the road. See this video.

@Todd Burch - How do you have your front facing Blackvue mounted? I like this view.

I had something in the garage that I could clamp around the cylindrical body that had a handle. Then I literally sugar-taped the handle to the headrest of the passenger seat. Total redneck solution, but it worked fine.

Only thing I don't like about it is that on anything but a cloudy day, the exposure on the Blackvue isn't wide enough to clearly see the inside and outside at the same time, so all of the exterior is washed out and overexposed.

I always keep my following distance set to 6. Seems like a sweet spot for me.

In general, the larger following distance gives you better autopilot performance, because the camera can see more of the lines. Plus, it's safer and more considerate of the people you're following, and it gives your car more space so that it can adjust speed and stop more gently.

Hey @Todd Burch ,

I finally had time to watch your video. It was excellent. My experience has been pretty much the same. AP works so well and it has become completely automatic for me to take over when something seems the slightest bit off. It's almost unconcious for me to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.