Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video series with all the details of our nearly 6,000 mile road trip with a young family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I published the last video from our Tesla road trip series going to Orlando Florida from Salt Lake City Utah with my young family with three girls ages 2, 3, and 5. Here's the link to check out the entire playlist of videos if you're interested in checking it out Our 5,883 Mile Tesla Family Road Trip from Utah to Florida - YouTube

OVERALL TRIP SUMMARY
In this video series I go over the details of how well our used/CPO 2015 Tesla Model S 85D performs on this 5,883 mile winter cross country road trip from Salt Lake City, UT to Orlando, FL with my young family of 5 for Christmas. Over the next few weeks/months I'll be publishing videos for each travel day of this trip as I can make the time to sort through all my pictures and video from the trip. My goal in creating these videos is to educate Tesla owners on what their vehicles are capable of, and prospective Tesla owners what they can expect out of their future Tesla (at least as much as I can only having the Model S 85D so far) and any limitations we run into. In each video I'll also review our TeslaFi.com data logs to give you specifics around vehicle performance driving and charging. Over those 5,883 miles our Tesla consumed 2,068 kWh of electricity) over 16 days. We were in 11 different states, (including 4 corners and Texarkana border) went to an atlantic coast beach and gulf coast beach, stayed 5 nights in 5 hotels and 10 nights in 4 friends/families houses. We charged at 39 different Tesla Superchargers, 3 hotels and 4 friends/families homes and we charged from 6 different types of electrical outlets (Supercharger, NEMA 10-30, NEMA 14-30, NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-15, J1772) and spent $0 on that electricity (Our Model S has free unlimited supercharging and we offered to friends/family to pay but they were all just happy to have us visit and covered that minimal cost. The electricity cost would have been an estimated $358 according to ABetterRoutePlanner.com if we had paid and only charged at superchargers). We toured the USS Alabama battleship and submarine and saw lots of old airplanes in the museum. We visited the Wild Florida zoo & outdoor safari and had lots of fun collecting shells or other random things on the beaches. We went on a kid friendly hike in Phoenix, AZ and had lots of time to visit with family and friends everywhere we went. Overall it was a successful trip worth doing, but a bit on the long side from my wife and kids perspective. I never got tired of driving our Tesla though. Before and after the trip we didn't have to do any trip related maintenance to our Tesla although we happened to install new tires (Continental ExtremeContact DWS06) 1 month prior to the trip and the trip was an entire tire rotation interval covered by Discount Tire as included in their service policy. The tire measurement prior to the trip was 10/32 and afterward it was 9/32 on all four tires. If you replace tires at 4/32 tread depth per manufacturers safety recommendation then this trip consumed 1/6th of the tread life of the tires. However the legal limit is 2/32 so that would mean only 1/8th of the tires were worn off.

Reactions: Russell