Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video share: BYD Qin VS top brands what a fast car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a lot of cuts in that video, so it’s a little hard to make out the results from the races.

But it appears to be pretty efficient for a plug-in hybrid. Apparently BYD claims a combined fuel consumption of 2 liters per 100 kilometer (don’t know what kind of test cycle they used though). And for those who emphasize acceleration, that seems to be pretty impressive as well: 0-100 km/h in 6.9 seconds according to BYD.

Spy Shots: BYD Qin is Ready for the China car market | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News

I am a little curious though about what kind of safety rating it would get in a test like this one:

HOME | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

And another question: There’s one woman in the audience with respiratory protection. Is that air pollution surrounding that race track?

BYD.jpg

BYD_2.jpg

There’s one woman in the audience with respiratory protection. Is that air pollution surrounding that race track?

There are a lot of Chinese hypochondriacs. I see a lot Chinese tourist here in Southern California with respiratory protection.

Air pollution, bird flu, etc etc.

That video doesn't show much. Too much editing. 6.9s to 60km/hr is pretty sad, not impressive, sorry.
It's 100km/h...

"The Qin is powered by a hybrid drivetrain consisting of a 1.5 liter turbo four cylinder petrol engine and an electric motor. Combined output is 315hp and 440nm. Top speed is 185km/h and 0-100 (km/h) takes 6.9 seconds. "

It's 100km/h...

"The Qin is powered by a hybrid drivetrain consisting of a 1.5 liter turbo four cylinder petrol engine and an electric motor. Combined output is 315hp and 440nm. Top speed is 185km/h and 0-100 (km/h) takes 6.9 seconds. "
Woops, for some reason I thought I read 60km/h.

I know this video is basically not that much different than the gazillions of other videos on the Interwebs where all kinds of folks are driving all kinds of ICE cars at really high revs and speeds. So in a sense, I can of course see that it is a bit unfair to deny folks in China and Chinese car manufacturers, to do the same thing.

But, given the severity of the air pollution in for example Beijing and the neighboring Hebei province – if I was in charge of marketing this car – I would try really, really hard to come up with some alternative way of marketing it, that didn’t include holding drag races against a backdrop of heavy air pollution... To me it just does not seem like a very rational thing to do…

Last edited:
I know this video is basically not that much different than the gazillions of other videos on the Interwebs where all kinds of folks are driving all kinds of ICE cars at really high revs and speeds. So in a sense, I can of course see that it is a bit unfair to deny folks in China and Chinese car manufacturers, to do the same thing.

But, given the severity of the air pollution in for example Beijing and the neighboring Hebei province – if I was in charge of marketing this car – I would try really, really hard to come up with some alternative way of marketing it, that didn’t include holding drag races against a backdrop of heavy air pollution... To me it just does not seem like a very rational thing to do…

You are correct but even Tesla sells on performance being on par and better. Most owners then don't floor it all the time. People want to know if these cars move or not.
As for the OP, something tells me he works for BYD since there is no mention of any other Chinese brand and there are many..

Chery, Dongfeng, Brilliance, Changan and many more. Many of them are preparing way better cars than BYD.

As for this car, I doubt it will sell well in China since China decided to only give minute subsidies to hybrids now and is focusing on pure EVs and
even has a clause that at least 1/3 of subsidies need to go for foreign electric cars. O don't remember EU or US doing that.. A civilized gesture.