Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video - Tesla Model 3 Cold Weather Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well documented -- thanks.
I keep wondering how at least some of these safety pin problems did not become apparent during the time the car spent in Norway prior to production and can only imagine a bad production run of the part. My car ended up with the safety pin stuck in the up position leading to port replacement although I saw your issue last week and other variations since.

I'm confident that Tesla will sort these issues out but for now it is a poor experience.

One suggestion: hold that dryer a little further away. It will increase the time you have to spend heating things up but you do NOT want any plastic warping during the heating.

What software update are you on? It was my understanding that the pin latch problem was fixed with the latest update that doesn't try to lock the charge port in cold weather.

Yes since update my charge plug only locks when drawing power.

EDIT: Just watched the video. So it is a failure to latch not unlatching. Replace charge port? Doesn't seem like water in there. Does this happen when there is snow/rain? Maybe the solenoid is just weak in cold conditions.

Last edited:
****UPDATE

So I sent my car in to service on December 13th into Oakville (which was honestly the worst customer service experience I have received from any company.. but that's besides the point)... and they replaced the locking pin with a second generation part.

Due to quite the warm spell here it hasn't really been at/ below freezing until tonight.

Well.. just had to take the hair dryer to my car for a 4th time.

I understand that Tesla is releasing software 2018.50. But I really don't know how they are going to warm up the chargerport locking pin without a heater...

I don’t think that is a software issue.

Weather it locks immediately or when charging it’s not locking. I suspect it’s a tolerancing issue and stuff moves around at various temps. And things are just not lining up at that temp.

I’d try another adapter. Curious if mobile Charger locks or super charger locks.

I don’t think that is a software issue.

Weather it locks immediately or when charging it’s not locking. I suspect it’s a tolerancing issue and stuff moves around at various temps. And things are just not lining up at that temp.

I’d try another adapter. Curious if mobile Charger locks or super charger locks.
Its every destination charger too, not just my adapter.

And this is now a completely different charge port and locking pin.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mswlogo
FWIW, I've had this problem just once a couple of weeks ago where it was damp (not raining) outside and temps went down overnight. (despite it being in a garage)

Just tried plugging it in now and it's charging OK. (using the Tesla supplied charger on a 14-50 outlet)

Current temp outside is -6°C. Garage is probably around freezing.

Seems that if you are picking up any humidity/dampness then it freezes, the problem occurs but that's just my guess.

FWIW, I've had this problem just once a couple of weeks ago where it was damp (not raining) outside and temps went down overnight. (despite it being in a garage)

Just tried plugging it in now and it's charging OK. (using the Tesla supplied charger on a 14-50 outlet)

Current temp outside is -6°C. Garage is probably around freezing.

Seems that if you are picking up any humidity/dampness then it freezes, the problem occurs but that's just my guess.
that could possibly be it. However.. if true.. that is a pretty bad flaw.

Imagine if you are on a road trip somewhere and you can only charge at 16A.

There has got to be a hardware fix for this. No software will fix it unless Tesla allows the car to just charge at 32A+ without the (presumably?) safety feature of slow charging due to locking pin not engaging.

that could possibly be it. However.. if true.. that is a pretty bad flaw.

Imagine if you are on a road trip somewhere and you can only charge at 16A.

There has got to be a hardware fix for this. No software will fix it unless Tesla allows the car to just charge at 32A+ without the (presumably?) safety feature of slow charging due to locking pin not engaging.
Nicely Documented.

I wonder why the Model S and X don't have the same issue.

The port itself is identical. Maybe they switched to a cheaper solenoid that makes that pin inoperable when its cold.

IMHO it should have been embarrassing for Tesla to recommend using a hair dryer to make a $80k car charge.

This sounds like a re-design / recall for Tesla.

I wonder how we as a community can properly and respectfully report the importance of this issue to Tesla. Now that your asinine phone call with Tesla is over....it probably won't get escalated within the Tesla ranks because the problem is noted as "solved".
Suggesting a hair dryer IS NOT solved - even though it worked.

Hmmm....how can we do this?.....Thoughts?

Does the port warm up a bit during charging ? If so, this reduced charging mode may be temporary.

The problem is - He can't get to the charging stage without the blow dryer.

In his case..it doesn't matter if the port warms up DURING the charging if he can't even start charging.

That low level charging that takes place while the port is unlatched doesn't heat up anything at all.