TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Video: "The Falcon has landed" | Recap of Falcon 9 launch and landing

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by doug, Jan 12, 2016.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

There's some new footage of the landing in here that I don't think has been seen before. One clip from Stage 1 during the 'boostback burn', and a few other cameras/angles of the actual Stage 1 landing. Lots of crowd and 'action shots' from the crew at Hawthorne and Canaveral as well.

I'm glad it revisited the satellite deployments at the end. Oh yeah -- we have to deliver those payloads to orbit, too :smile:

3. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Watching the first stage land just doesn't get old.

4. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

You are not kidding. The new footage has some incredible detail. I just love it.

5. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Almost as good as the first time - particularly as didn't have the "Is it going to make it?" anxiety. New for me was the clear shots of the legs unfolding.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to think about Mr Musk's statement that ship landings are needed for high velocity missions. Does this mean that the additional fuel needed for a booster turnaround to come back to Mama proscribes the oomph needed to throw cargo citius, altius, fortius? That is, that "high velocity" is NOT to be understood as "rapid mission turnaround", for which a back-to-pad would presumably allow, as opposed to ship landing. Have I got this correct?

6. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

I think that's accurate. As I understand it, the Falcon 9's hand-off from first to second stage takes place at a lower altitude/speed than many orbital rockets in the same class, with the benefit being that less energy is needed to turn the first stage around and return it to the launch site for landing. But for heavy payloads or for specific harder-to-reach orbits, it's better to put that energy into the second stage, and then land the first stage hundreds of miles downrange on the "droneship". This may be even more likely when SpaceX starts launching their Falcon Heavy configuration, with essentially 3 'first stages' -- I'd expect it might become common for the two side-boosters to return to the launch site, and the central core booster continue downrange to land on the 'droneship'. We'll see.

Agree, the shots of the legs deploying were fantastic. Gives a better appreciation of how late in the process the 'unfolding' happens -- just a few seconds before touchdown.

7. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Whenever I need to do anything great (ok, good), I'm going to play this video to pump me up![emoji106]

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Video: "The Falcon has landed" | Recap of Falcon 9 launch and landing

Thanks Doug!

Damn that DOES NOT GET OLD! I teared up all over again watching the 1st stage picture perfect touchdown. Loved all the new views of different phases of the flight. And this time they threw in a fraction of a second shot of Elon in the Canaveral control room. Wish I could have seen his face when he ran outside and realized that the 1st stage was safely on the ground...

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#9 Grendal, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Elon thought the stage crashed and blew up. He went back inside the launch control room to find out that it hadn't. He didn't go into detail about specifically how he found out and from who from the interview where he gave out the information.

This video and the other landing videos have made me tear up many times.

Whoever has been hired to make these videos is really good.

Non-sequitur add-on: I just watched a YT video of Elon's best 8 moments. He commented on his low point and how, at Christmas, both Tesla and SpaceX was saved in 2008. It occurred to me that SpaceX had their failure and the landing happened just before Christmas. The failure happened on his last birthday. From that low came another big Christmas moment for Elon.

10. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

#10 JRod0802, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Do you have a link to that interview? I'd be really interested to watch / read it.

Edit:

Never mind. I found it. Here's a link for those interested:

Postlanding Telecon With Elon Musk - Falcon 9 v1.1 RTF Orbcomm OG2 M2 - YouTube

Transcript:
    *sugar* Elon Says - Transcript - Postlanding teleconference with Elon Musk

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have a friend who has been invited to the launch this coming Sunday. How cool!

12. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Very cool ... :cool:

13. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Outrageously cool if:
    - your friend's invitation is a +1 type invitation
    - your friend has asked you to be their +1
    - and you're free to BE the +1

:)