Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video Trip Report: San Diego to LA (Hawthorne SuperCharge) back to San Diego

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I figure a video would be priceless. I made my first longer distance trip today in my P85. My wife and I both had meetings in LA today so we left early and hit Hawthorne on the way up.

I did a maximum range charge and had about 263 miles to start off. I don't think I had the level all the way to the end so it was a few miles shorter than usual for max range. I originally planned to hit Hawthorne AFTER our meetings and after lunch on the way back to San Diego but I heard about others that had to wait in line in the afternoon and thought it would be a better idea to go up to Hawthorne on the way up to make a 10 AM meeting.

Also, something important to note is that I am in a Service Loaner vehicle which they limit the speed to 80 MPH so I couldn't go above that on the highway which was a real bummer being capped to that limit but saved on battery use I'm sure.

My wife had a meeting in Beverly Hills at La Cienaga/Wilshire. I met up with a client at the same time and asked if he could meet me at the SLS Hotel just a few blocks away so I didn't have to drive far. I ended up parking at the La Cienaga Tennis Center parking lot. It's GREAT as it includes 2 free hours parking. They had 2 Blink Chargers there. One was taken but I grabbed one of them. Got about 20 miles charge while parked there. I have the Blink membership so it was just $1 per hour.

2j3mhyb.jpg

We finished with our meetings and then met up. We know this area well and the SLS is one of our favorite hotels there. And our FAVORITE sushi place is Matsuhisa which has the best sushi in the world. And I noticed they opened up a Genwa Korean restaurant across the street! (Our favorite Korean restaurant in LA!)We headed back to San Diego right after lunch.

I'm totally convinced THIS is the future! I'll NEVER own an ICE car again. Never. Absolutely love driving now. (I hated it before). Big kudos to Elon and the Tesla team. I'll definitely buy the Model X next year when it comes out.

YouTube Video Here: http://youtu.be/DeSYPe2Ikzo

Here are a few photos and video trip report below.

1076f5u.jpg

2e4ysyo.jpg

2jbv5n8.jpg

123a5wh.jpg

20usgzk.jpg

Tesla Hawthorne Supercharger - YouTube

Nice report. Always good to use the loaners for trips :smile:

Thanks texex91. Yep, I'd rather burn miles in the loaner than my own car. The only thing that is horribly frustrating is that the loaners are capped at 80 MPH. Also, I can't use my Iphone app with the loaner. I'll be happy to get my own car back hopefully this weekend. They said it will come back from the body shop today and then Tesla has to fix all of the issues once they get it so probably next week.

Sitting at Hawthorne now. I am heading on an international business trip here tomorrow morning so I thought I'd come here and fill up so I can just drive home from the airport as I have a longer flight and my flight gets in late. I figure this way it will be easy to just drive home.

I arrived at around 3 PM and ALL the bays except the one I pulled in were full. ALL the spots are now up and running. A few weeks ago they just added a few new bays but they didn't have chargers on them but now they are all operating. With ALL the spots full it's pulling about 190 miles/hour charge rate.

I will keep my car at LAX a few days in a row so I'll see what the vampire loss rate is. At home I haven't had a chance to do it more than one day so this will be a good and true chance to see what the vampire loss rate is on 5.0 for a few days in a row.

I left San Diego with 263 rated miles showing on the battery screen. I drove 108 miles to Hawthorne and I lost 31 rated miles getting here. (I arrived with 124 miles left). This was worse than the last time I came when I had my loaner. But it's because the loaner had the restrictor to 80 MPH. This time I had more of a spirited drive with some speeds up to 100 MPH in certain spots. Especially the tollway near Irvine.

I always figure I'll see more Tesla's from SD to LA but I haven't the past few trips. I'll post back how many vampire miles I lose.