Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Videos of 0 to 60 where Tesla gets beat (actually faster cars to 60 per wikipedia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
So it appears that there are about ~6 to 8 cars which show on wikipedia as being faster to 60mph than the current P90DL.

Looked on youtube and couldn't find a single video of one of these cars against a Tesla. Maybe didn't spend enough time, but I'm interested to see the launch and compare.

Just for fun put this spreadsheet together on the specs of the top top cars. Added stuff from wikipedia like HP, torque, mass and price. Very interesting as I didn't know only 5 Veyrons were made

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 10.32.54 AM.png

Skip ahead to 3:15 for the test run. It's clear the P85D is quicker off the line, but the maintained power of the 918 wins.
Well, given that the 918 costs around $900,000, I should hope so. And the fact that it is powered by a (quote from Wikipedia) 4.6 litre V8 engine, developing 608 horsepower (453 kW), with two electric motors delivering an additional 279 horsepower (208 kW) for a combined output of 887 horsepower (661 kW).
With all that, it better beat even a $135,000 P90DL to 60, though it still won't be quicker initially off the line.

Well, given that the 918 costs around $900,000, I should hope so. And the fact that it is powered by a (quote from Wikipedia) 4.6 litre V8 engine, developing 608 horsepower (453 kW), with two electric motors delivering an additional 279 horsepower (208 kW) for a combined output of 887 horsepower (661 kW).
With all that, it better beat even a $135,000 P90DL to 60, though it still won't be quicker initially off the line.

Still, I would love Tesla to be able to beat the 918 with a 4 door sedan and be a fly on the wall at Porsche. :rolleyes:
It is important that Tesla makes high performance versions of the Model S to be taken seriously and to awaken this industry.
The future is here and it is full electric.

Still, I would love Tesla to be able to beat the 918 with a 4 door sedan and be a fly on the wall at Porsche. :rolleyes:
It is important that Tesla makes high performance versions of the Model S to be taken seriously and to awaken this industry.
The future is here and it is full electric.

Give me a break. The P85D is a one trick pony geared towards the 1/4 mile and it still got clobbered. For once let it do what the 918 was made for - e.g. blasting around the Ring - and let's see how much the 918 has to worry. It seems to me that the Tesla receives a lot of press coverage that carefully avoids to test it in any situation where it would fall flat.

Give me a break. The P85D is a one trick pony geared towards the 1/4 mile and it still got clobbered. For once let it do what the 918 was made for - e.g. blasting around the Ring - and let's see how much the 918 has to worry. It seems to me that the Tesla receives a lot of press coverage that carefully avoids to test it in any situation where it would fall flat.

I agree, Tesla has a lot of work to do track wise but, given time, this is going to be interesting. I would be quite surprised if e.g. the Mission E is going to come out ahead of Tesla when it finally comes out. There hasn't been much of a battle yet and with Prof. Jeff Dahn on board next year, having the best battery technology is going to be key to beat the competition.

Tesla is not built for the tracks. Battery is the limiter when compared to ICE.

Perhaps you should use the appropriate thread to make comments like this (Europe -) ...just like the Autobahn, this really only matters to folks in Germany (and very, very few folks in the rest of the world)

To the rest of the world, where speed limits are enforced, quarter mile quickness is very desirable (and ring time speeds mean nothing) to Model S street sedan owners.

Fully electric vehicles are a large part of the answer to our environmental problems...fast, two seater hybrids are not...

Last edited:

Isn't that basic good corporate strategy?

Personally I highly value the 0-60 performance and use it all the time, much more than top speed and racetrack handling.

On the other hand, as a former 911 Turbo owner, I do miss Porsche handling.

Last edited:
That we are even having a conversation about a MS vs. a 918 and the ring means Tesla is winning.

NB that Tesla has already produced and delivered several orders of magnitude more Model S's than the supposed 918 units that Porsche has delivered. Heck there are probably more Ariel Atoms on the road than 918's. When the 918 sells 90,000 units we have a meaningful conversation.

Seems to me that all the race cars are one trick ponies. The Tesla is a family car, can go on road trips, take a huge amount of stuff with you, etc. Have fun trying to have a comfortable trip in your 918.

We've come a long way when Tesla released their first car in 2008 and the Model S in 2011 - and the only territory left for Tesla to beat the top ICE's, that have had a century to develop, is top speed including high speed sustained power (hence acceleration), handling on a track. This is disregarding range, which frankly is pretty bad on a 918 Spyder if you're going very fast.

Tesla is not built for the tracks. Battery is the limiter when compared to ICE.

Well, that's fine enough. Just don't pretend that it is anywhere close to the 918 as a performance car.

As with its dubious boast of having 690 hp Tesla seems very keen on promoting the P85D/P90D as the fastest sedan there is, when in fact it falls short of competitors in many traditional disciplines such as high speed performance. I also doubt that the 1/4 mile is that much more relevant for daily driving than a blast around the Ring. Doing acceleration runs to > 100 mph on public roads will also create substantial safety issues.

Well, that's fine enough. Just don't pretend that it is anywhere close to the 918 as a performance car.

As with its dubious boast of having 690 hp Tesla seems very keen on promoting the P85D/P90D as the fastest sedan there is, when in fact it falls short of competitors in many traditional disciplines such as high speed performance. I also doubt that the 1/4 mile is that much more relevant for daily driving than a blast around the Ring. Doing acceleration runs to > 100 mph on public roads will also create substantial safety issues.

Why would you say that? If I drive 8 miles per day that's 32 1/4-miles, every day! I never drive at the Nürburg Ring.

... Tesla seems very keen on promoting the P85D/P90D as the fastest sedan there is ...
Tesla representatives (and TMC posters) have sometimes been "fast and loose" with using "fast" rather than "quick". Setting that aside for the moment...

Look at the list in the first post. Would you agree that -- by the 0-60 metric -- P90DL is the quickest sedan? If not, which sedans do you consider quicker by that metric?

Random sidenote: Your forum handle is inaccurate by at least 86 posts. ;)