Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Videos of 0 to 60 where Tesla gets beat (actually faster cars to 60 per wikipedia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People do realize that the speed limits do not differentiate between driving and passing right? The police are quite happy to pull you over for speeding while you're passing someone. If they are already doing significantly over the limit, and you're doing much more over the limit to pass them, that's hardly a responsible thing to do.

So by this logic the Model S should not be able to accelerate over 80ish mph because anything above that is speeding and illegal? I'm not following. I can completely appreciate that many people are happy to cruise at 65mph, never speed, and never pass anyone, but that isn't a reason to say anything over 0-60mph doesn't matter and thus, the Model S is as fast as a supercar.

That said, it would be really interesting to see how fast a Model S could actually be if it had a transmission. I realize it would probably get destroyed very quickly by the instant torque, and the entire concept of having very few moving parts and simplicity gets thrown out the window, but it would be pretty amazing to have all that torque at more than just 30mph :D.

I don't. Bing was 2 letters quicker. Elaborate?

Now I see another problem.

Who types the search engines name, just type your question into the address bar ;)

- - - Updated - - -

There is a difference. In NYC (Manhattan) there is a code of conduct, especially among cabs. For example, you respect the stop lights because the other guy is going to go, and it is just inefficient to get in a crash. NYC driving is aggressive but it's a highly efficient controlled game where everyone knows the limit and when to back off. In Boston, a cop could be sitting at the corner and you won't get in trouble unless you are the fourth car to run the light. The problem in Boston is that the civil engineering of the roads is terrible because all the roads were originally cow paths that intersected at odd angles, the highway on and off ramps are 1/3 the length they should be because of lack of space, and there are too many rotaries (traffic circles, roundabouts). As my wife has said, the way to negotiate a Boston rotary is to close your eyes and go, but you have to make sure that all the other drivers see that your eyes are closed. In Boston, using a turn signal is giving information to the enemy. In my commute, there was a very congested lane drop after a merge. You either had to be the a*hole who stayed in the right lane until the last minute and cut people off while moving left, or you had to be the chump who merged left early and let yourself get cut off. It drove me crazy. For the last year I was there I took a different route which was a couple miles longer just to avoid that particular battle and its effect on my cardiac health. Out here in the country, all is calm. For traffic, give me NYC over Boston any day.

I think your view of Manhattan is way too optimistic. Lots of people push the limits and don't back off. The exact same things happen in NYC that you described of Boston. I grew up driving in NYC, you can take that for what it's worth.

I've driven in Boston enough times (and the damn cop around the corner got me at least once) because my inlaws live up there, but maybe not enough to form a complete picture.

And "down here" it's a completely different ballgame, even though I'm not far from DC. People are just more relaxed.

- - - Updated - - -

Around where I drive 20-30 over isn't unusual at all... With speed limits of 65-75.

30 over puts you at 105? You're telling me that a cop wont stop you for doing 105? I find that hard to believe.

Around here, 20 miles over and it's reckless driving. But I know of at least one road, where the speed limit is 55, flow of traffic is about 70-75, and the cops don't go after you unless you're doing 80+.

30 over puts you at 105? You're telling me that a cop wont stop you for doing 105? I find that hard to believe.

Around here, 20 miles over and it's reckless driving. But I know of at least one road, where the speed limit is 55, flow of traffic is about 70-75, and the cops don't go after you unless you're doing 80+.

I'd guess it is more like 30 over at 65 and 20 over at 75.

All I know is that I have my MS set to default to 14mph over the speed limit, so around town I'm usually doing 79mph in a 65 zone and I get passed quite a bit and sometimes pretty quickly. On road trips I'll be doing 89mph in a 75 and still get passed, but admittedly not usually that quickly, so people probably aren't doing over 100.

I'd guess it is more like 30 over at 65 and 20 over at 75.

All I know is that I have my MS set to default to 14mph over the speed limit, so around town I'm usually doing 79mph in a 65 zone and I get passed quite a bit and sometimes pretty quickly. On road trips I'll be doing 89mph in a 75 and still get passed, but admittedly not usually that quickly, so people probably aren't doing over 100.
And to bring it back to what we were talking about, they think they need better acceleration starting at that 100???

I think your view of Manhattan is way too optimistic. Lots of people push the limits and don't back off. The exact same things happen in NYC that you described of Boston. I grew up driving in NYC, you can take that for what it's worth.

I've driven in Boston enough times (and the damn cop around the corner got me at least once) because my inlaws live up there, but maybe not enough to form a complete picture.

And "down here" it's a completely different ballgame, even though I'm not far from DC. People are just more relaxed.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree it really is different down here in NoVa, and even more so where I am out in the piedmont. It's funny because I think the beltway is actually more congested than Route 128, its equivalent in Boston, yet drivers are less aggressive. The other difference is that as you say, 20 over is reckless driving here so I don't exceed that except for certain passing maneuvers when I'm sure the coast is clear. In Boston, some roads are heavily patrolled (I90 - the Mass Pike) where 8 over is the max, while 128 (speed limit 55) was always vehicular anarchy. Or at least that was true in the years I lived there. So the one thing I miss about Boston driving is the ability to cruise at 90 in the left lane (and I was't the only one) on occasions when traffic on 128 opens up.

... Tesla seems very keen on promoting the P85D/P90D as the fastest sedan there is ...
Tesla representatives (and TMC posters) have sometimes been "fast and loose" with using "fast" rather than "quick". Setting that aside for the moment...

Look at the list in the first post. Would you agree that -- by the 0-60 metric -- P90DL is the quickest sedan? If not, which sedans do you consider quicker by that metric?

Random sidenote: Your forum handle is inaccurate by at least 86 posts. ;)
@Brian I think he is trying to avoid answering your question. ;)
It seems you're correct, ACDriveMotor.