Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Videos of Test Ride in Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Figured today I'd get a chance to sit down and check out a couple of the videos people in attendance made of their test ride in the vehicle. Really wish I could have been there for this. For others curious about the interior and ride, thought a thread like this would be helpful. After watching a few, I'm pretty impressed. Very spacious, with what appears to be a good amount of space between front and back seating. The truck bed space looks pretty good. I don't think I'd be a fan of the race car steering wheel (same type as on the new Roadster?). I get autopilot etc will make using it less important as time goes on but in the meantime I think I prefer a full hands on steering wheel like we at least have on the Model 3.

I do think like riding in your first Tesla, once you've ridden in it you'll be won over with the ride/interior and come to appreciate the exterior until it seem more "normal".

You'll get to see different aspects of the vehicle watching each video.

Teslarati:

Like Tesla:

The Verge (test ride at 3:09):

My Tesla Adventure:

DAErik:

I thought it was interesting to see how they handled the front row side windows what with that peaked portion of the roof. I loved how the bed cover disappeared. i wonder where the charge port is on these. Elon said you'll be able to charge them at a Supercharger. I liked how the bed/vehicle could be lowered to put things in the rear. Nice thought about the front arm rest or 6th seat if needed. I wonder how the government vehicle testing will do especially come crash time. Will the testing equipment bounce off of it?

I thought it was interesting to see how they handled the front row side windows what with that peaked portion of the roof. I loved how the bed cover disappeared. i wonder where the charge port is on these. Elon said you'll be able to charge them at a Supercharger. I liked how the bed/vehicle could be lowered to put things in the rear. Nice thought about the front arm rest or 6th seat if needed. I wonder how the government vehicle testing will do especially come crash time. Will the testing equipment bounce off of it?

If the testing equipment bounces off, then the occupants will bounce around like a football players brain inside of a helmet. Hope the design deosnt' negatively affect safety

i wonder where the charge port is on these.

Some person on Reddit posted this album of photos: Cybertruck Unveil

One of which includes the charge port:

7CRGJtu.jpg

Noticed they went back to Model S door handles. Surprised they did that while keeping cost down. Rear view mirror was cool. And the side view mirrors... Wait their ain’t any.

Really interesting how at first everyone was WTF. And now it’s already growing on some people.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I wonder if Tesla realizes that the Model 3 door handles might have been a mistake. Don't get wrong, the handles are fine in nice weather. But the handles are terrible in freezing temps when the doors get iced over.

A bit surprised Tesla has not yet included an option in the app to open the doors as the button in the car does (lower window, pop door). Maybe it is not possible hardware-wise?

A bit surprised Tesla has not yet included an option in the app to open the doors as the button in the car does (lower window, pop door). Maybe it is not possible hardware-wise?

If they're frozen in place, and you keep pressing the button to open, won't you be burning out the motor? In person one attempt at opening the door handle tells you it's frozen but remotely you'd have no way of knowing that. Doesn't always have to be lots of snow and ice for it to be frozen. Maybe a heating element in the handle area that's waterproof as water will get pulled into the door from rain and defrosting ice would help. Car door handles and locks and windows have been freezing. Nothing new.

If they're frozen in place, and you keep pressing the button to open, won't you be burning out the motor? In person one attempt at opening the door handle tells you it's frozen but remotely you'd have no way of knowing that. Doesn't always have to be lots of snow and ice for it to be frozen. Maybe a heating element in the handle area that's waterproof as water will get pulled into the door from rain and defrosting ice would help. Car door handles and locks and windows have been freezing. Nothing new.

Not living in a freezing environment with freezing rain, I am not sure what all the issues are. I can't remember all the problems from the various threads last year. But my understanding is that one issue is that the handles are inaccessible in cold & icy weather - they are covered in a sheet of ice. Separately, the doors can actually freeze shut (solved with silicone spray on the seals or whatever). It would be nice for someone to test this sometime though - with a frozen car (the more freezing rain the better), crawl in from the trunk, open the front door from the inside, and see if it pops open just fine or whether there are issues. I guess as long as you can actuate the handle from the outside there is no need for the crawling through the trunk though.

For sure, thorough warming of the car for a while before trying to get in will help.

Not living in a freezing environment with freezing rain, I am not sure what all the issues are. I can't remember all the problems from the various threads last year. But my understanding is that one issue is that the handles are inaccessible in cold & icy weather - they are covered in a sheet of ice. Separately, the doors can actually freeze shut (solved with silicone spray on the seals or whatever). It would be nice for someone to test this sometime though - with a frozen car (the more freezing rain the better), crawl in from the trunk, open the front door from the inside, and see if it pops open just fine or whether there are issues. I guess as long as you can actuate the handle from the outside there is no need for the crawling through the trunk though.

For sure, thorough warming of the car for a while before trying to get in will help.

I've experienced the frozen door handles several times with my Model 3. The issue is not cold temps per se. If the weather is very dry but with sub zero temps, and you've cleared all the ice off your car, the handles will be fine. The issue is when it rains and then the temps drop below zero causing the water around the door handle to turn to ice. Then, you won't be able to access the handles and even when you do, the handles will be frozen shut due to ice inside the handle preventing it from pivoting open. The charge port will have a similar where ice will essentially act like glue and the motor is not strong enough to pop the port open. Yes, pre-heating the car helps eventually. And you can chip the ice off. But it is a pain.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Then, you won't be able to access the handles and even when you do, the handles will be frozen shut due to ice inside the handle preventing it from pivoting open.

I see. So it does seem like a way to actuate the button using the app would be helpful, if it is possible. It sounds like it is likely some people have probably worked around this already by folding down their rear seats the night before, and entering the car via the trunk.

The door handles on the CyberTruck appear to be Model S pop out handles, not Model 3 handles, which I thought was an interesting choice. I don't get below freezing here that often but sometimes can happen overnight for a few to dozen hours. I've had my Model 3 handle freeze in place once but pushing in managed to get open from the ice, window was frozen up and needed car heating to let it move down. Don't think there's a motor in the Model 3 unlike the Model S. I do preheat and leave the fan generally pretty high like 6 or 7 when I exit to circulate the air better for preheating at 67-68F, but will keep in mind the video and set to High on those really cold mornings. Interesting to see the air flow with the tinsel. Not sure what our Model S does with preheating air flow-wise (not as strong as my Model 3) but we have the winter package and my husband does preheat. Never had a problem opening the car that I recall. I don't think I could tell anything from the Test Ride videos what type of Heating/AC system the CyberTruck has (assume more like Model 3), so maybe it will be the same defrost/defreeze method as the Model 3.

Hey I remember living in Chicago and having frozen door handles and car door key holes. Had to carry a de-icing spray and a small hand-held ice scraper in my purse during the winter and hoping my battery would turn over when I finally got in (not a time for a weak underpowered battery or the wrong oil in your car). No keyless entry, no preheating unless you ran a cord with a battery heater out to your car if you could. Otherwise it was wait for AAA to jump the car.

Last edited:
I found using the side of a fist to bump the area of the handle that is wide will break the ice from a flash freeze around the handle.

And sliding a credit card along the base of the door glass, between the door glass and the door rubber weather seal along the top of the door sheet metal chrome trim piece, always frees up the glass and it easily lowers to clear the upper trim.

FYI, Silicone Based lubricants can etch your glass.

Good to know. What is the right product for future reference? Not that I will necessarily ever encounter the need...

I’m not sure to be honest. Been recently researching myself and was all set to get some stuff that was silicon based but read that it was not good for glass, because of etching. I was leaning towards something with Teflon but want to make sure there is nothing bad about that too. Been using Gummy Pflege, but that’s really not a lubricant. But some say it still helps stop door gaskets from sticking when it’s cold. I used it to tackle a minor window squeak.