Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Sentry and Dashcam footage on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, yes, my post wasn't clear, the icon with the red dot disappears once the car in moving. Do you see the same behaviour?
That's the Sentry icon. This is the dashcam icon:

Untitled.jpg

I just started using the Apple lightning to SD card reader with a Samsung endurance micro sd card. Works with 3 different sentry mode apps and the native files app with no issue!

all you need...

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B984HJ5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XTQZS4F?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0198HIF7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3qw7Db27R6M6C

any Sentry Mode app or Apples native Files app

That's the Sentry icon. This is the dashcam icon:

View attachment 486170
Just confirmed my suspicion. Installing the TapTess Gen 2 wireless charger pad using the provided USB splitter disables the Dash Cam. I disconnected one side of the TapTess and plugged the Samsung T5 SSD directly back into the USB port and Dash Cam icon you kindly provided came back (I thought this was how it used to work but forgot). That's not good news that using the TapTess wireless charging pad disables the Dash Cam. I'll report this to TapTess as well as relevant forums. Thank you for helping me work out what was going on.

Last edited:
Just confirmed my suspicion. Installing the TapTess Gen 2 wireless charger pad using the provided USB splitter disables the Dash Cam. I disconnected one side of the TapTess and plugged the Samsung SSD back directly into the USB port and Dash Cam icon you kindly provided came back (I thought this was how it used to work but forgot). That's not good news that using the TapTess wireless charging pad disables the Dash Cam. I'll report this to TapTess as well as relevant forums. Thank you for helping me work out what was going on.
When I still used my Taptes (gen 1) pad, the dashcam worked in that configuration. But I didn't use an SSD (just a Micro SD card with USB adapter). I suspect it simply consumes too much power for the USB port to be able to supply both the pad and the SSD.

When I still used my Taptes (gen 1) pad, the dashcam worked in that configuration. But I didn't use an SSD. I suspect it simply consumes too much power for the USB port to be able to supply both the pad and the SSD.
Right, could be an issue specifically when using the Samsung T5 SSD (which may apply to all SSD's) which I believe do require more power. Anyone else using a Samsung T5 SSD (or any SSD) experiencing this issue?

Right, could be an issue specifically when using the Samsung T5 SSD (which may apply to all SSD's) which I believe do require more power. Anyone else using a Samsung T5 SSD (or any SSD) experiencing this issue?

I'm getting a T5 SSD tomorrow and I'll see what my results are when plugging it in.. Tesla Raj on youtube just posted what I think is going to be the best way to access the dash cam footage until Tesla can get it working internally. There's a product called Roadie (sp) that you can buy that lets you wirelessly access the ssd without having to disconnect the drive from the car.

Roadie for Tesla

Ok after doing more research. The major downside of this device is it doesn't work with other drives and it only has 64 or 128gb options for its internal drive.

I saw the video this morning and it does look very compelling.

That's strange that it can't use external storage attached to the Raspbeery PI? Where did you read this? I didn't see it on the website.

Last edited:
I'm getting a T5 SSD tomorrow and I'll see what my results are when plugging it in.. Tesla Raj on youtube just posted what I think is going to be the best way to access the dash cam footage until Tesla can get it working internally. There's a product called Roadie (sp) that you can buy that lets you wirelessly access the ssd without having to disconnect the drive from the car.

Roadie for Tesla
At the suggestion of another Taptes wireless charge pad / Samsung T5 user, I tried swapping the splitter cable inputs (he mentioned they can be unreliable) and now the Dash Cam icon is back and both the Taptess wireless charger and the Dash Cam along with Sentry Mode seems to be working. I’ll keep checking over the next few days to make sure the Dash Cam icon continues to show up on display. Let me know how you get in with your set up.

Hi-

Creator of the Roadie here. The device is a raspberry pi zero which doesn’t allow external drives to be connected.

If I offered larger drives would that work? 256 or 512?

Also if there’s a way to clean up the device when you arrive home would it be ok to use the 64 or 128?

Overall, id like to understand why folks use very large disks?

thanks for the help!

Jake

At the suggestion of another Taptes wireless charge pad / Samsung T5 user, I tried swapping the splitter cable inputs (he mentioned they can be unreliable) and now the Dash Cam icon is back and both the Taptess wireless charger and the Dash Cam along with Sentry Mode seems to be working. I’ll keep checking over the next few days to make sure the Dash Cam icon continues to show up on display. Let me know how you get in with your set up.
As it turns out, the issue I was having with the Taptes wireless charger and the Samsung T5 and the Dash Cam was my error on the install. I did read the Taptes manual but the instructions didn't click that the provided thinner USB splitter cable is for the power only and the thicker one is for Dash Cam, Music and USB Charging (provides Sync capabilities which the thinner power cable does not). There is nothing wrong with the Taptes Gen 2 Wireless charging Pad and it will work fine with the Samsung T5 if you plug it in to the thicker cable. Sorry for wasting everyone's time :).

Hi-

Creator of the Roadie here. The device is a raspberry pi zero which doesn’t allow external drives to be connected.

Also if there’s a way to clean up the device when you arrive home would it be ok to use the 64 or 128?

thanks for the help!

Jake

Nice work man!! Roadie looks awesome. I use a 128GB sd card, so I think that is plenty, but if there was a way to delete the data after a day/week/etc. that will be great.

Hi-

thanks for the help!

Jake
64GB would fill up rather quickly since sentry mode activates quite frequently in crowded parking areas. 512 would be much better. I think people would like the convenience of not having to worry about storage being full too often. I personally prefer to delete my videos manually rather than letting them get overwritten. Anyways this seems like a product that has great potential. Thank you!

Hi-

thanks for the help!

Jake

Hi, the device you made looks great thanks for making it!

I personally use a 1tb drive because I record 24/7 but also because I don't check the footage much so a big drive gives me a lot of breathing room for that. Also, smaller GB drives that aren't meant for the constant writing die a lot faster. So a drive with double the space will die in half the time.

So at the moment I'm weighing the wifi convenience with the Roadie vs the setup I have now.

What kind of drive does the Roadie use internally? for its size i'm guessing an sd card? can it be swapped out to a bigger card?

For people that use the dash cam to only catch things that happen recently 64/128 gb is probably fine in my opinion.

Last edited:
The 64GB holds about 10 hours of video so unless you want to save every second that would hold quite a bit of sentry events and saved videos.

the card is a class 10 micro sd rated for video and in the months we’ve been beta testing with folks there’s been no issues.