Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Sentry and Dashcam footage on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi-

Creator of the Roadie here. The device is a raspberry pi zero which doesn’t allow external drives to be connected.

If I offered larger drives would that work? 256 or 512?

Also if there’s a way to clean up the device when you arrive home would it be ok to use the 64 or 128?

Overall, id like to understand why folks use very large disks?

thanks for the help!

Jake
Definitely interested. I know you sold out your initial run (congrats); when do you think the 128 will be available again vs when a 256 (or 512) would be available?

Hasn't Tesla's recording been updated to delete oldest footage as space is needed? Or does that not work with your device? Not complaining, but curious.

Damnit man, I want one!

I picked up a @Roadie this week and made a quick review, I'm pretty happy with it. Super easy to install and use.
I hope a few more features are added over time. Most desperately it needs to either speed up data transfer or maybe generate 5x speed video that we can quickly watch to find video of interest.

Definitely interested. I know you sold out your initial run (congrats); when do you think the 128 will be available again vs when a 256 (or 512) would be available?

Hasn't Tesla's recording been updated to delete oldest footage as space is needed? Or does that not work with your device? Not complaining, but curious.

Damnit man, I want one!

I had more for sale but those sold out too. Ordered a big batch to sell will do that after the holidays... Follow twitter/newsletter for announcements. The Tesla does clean the disk but the Roadie keeps as much recent clip footage as it can fit, vs the default hour or two. This is to avoid a situation where you forget to save something (like an accident). The Roadie will clean those up starting with the oldest once it hits 90% full.

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
I picked up a @Roadie this week and made a quick review, I'm pretty happy with it. Super easy to install and use.
I hope a few more features are added over time. Most desperately it needs to either speed up data transfer or maybe generate 5x speed video that we can quickly watch to find video of interest.

Thanks for the review! The speed issue is why Home/Hotspot options are there. Streams go much faster that way!

Thanks for the review! The speed issue is why Home/Hotspot options are there. Streams go much faster that way!

I’m surprised streaming it to your phone though home WiFi is any faster considering your home WiFi connects to the Roadie. So I’d imagine it would be slower having to go through the router as a middle man vs connecting your phone directly to the Roadie WiFi. I’d like to see some speed comparisons on that. I figured the bottleneck was on the read speed of the micro SD card.

I’m surprised streaming it to your phone though home WiFi is any faster considering your home WiFi connects to the Roadie. So I’d imagine it would be slower having to go through the router as a middle man vs connecting your phone directly to the Roadie WiFi. I’d like to see some speed comparisons on that. I figured the bottleneck was on the read speed of the micro SD card.

The issue is the device has a pretty weak broadcom WiFi driver support. When hosting a AP it can't run with wmm enabled so it's basically 802.11b speed. Your home WiFi and phone hotspot is 802.11g which the device works fine with as a client. Just hosting an AP is not well supported but if the drivers improve I can update the device drivers remotely. If your home WiFi signal is weak then obviously it can still be slow. The device signal strength to your home WiFi or phones hotspot is displayed under settings when connected.

The issue is the device has a pretty weak broadcom WiFi driver support. When hosting a AP it can't run with wmm enabled so it's basically 802.11b speed. Your home WiFi and phone hotspot is 802.11g which the device works fine with as a client. Just hosting an AP is not well supported but if the drivers improve I can update the device drivers remotely. If your home WiFi signal is weak then obviously it can still be slow. The device signal strength to your home WiFi or phones hotspot is displayed under settings when connected.

Oh, that's really interesting. I didn't know a device would have different speeds if it was hosting wifi vs connecting to a wifi. I use ac at home which is way faster then the other versions. Do any pi's have that wifi? (might be something good for an updated roadie in the future) Then it would be a lot faster.

Probably better to continue my comments here instead of youtube... My suggestion for the future is to in the background encode smaller/lower resolution/quality but sped up 5x videos, which would require much less data to transfer, for viewing quickly on the app and determining if the video is important or can be trashed, and then only need to transfer the real video if we want to see more detail or save it.

Until installing Roadie last week, I had been very happy with my setup of a SanDisk Connect wifi stick (for the rare case that I need to get video using my iphone in an emergency), plugging it into my computer ~once a week, and using the excellent TeslaCam Video WebApp Player to view videos (usually targeting the second to last video in each sequence to see the event trigger). Would love to eventually have similar features in the Roadie app.

Ahh now I see why you went with the Zero version of the pi. Besides the cost, the other version that has better wifi is much thicker and more importantly isn't powered by usb. you need a 5v to power it.

My suggestion for the future is to in the background encode smaller/lower resolution/quality but sped up 5x videos, which would require much less data to transfer, for viewing quickly on the app and determining if the video is important or can be trashed, and then only need to transfer the real video if we want to see more detail or save it.

Assuming the zero has enough cpu power to do that the micro sd card would deff have to be bigger to have both versions of the footage.
Thanks for your review btw.

Reactions: JWardell