Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Sentry and Dashcam footage on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting a Model 3 about a month ago I decided to make an app so I could view my Sentry Incidents and TeslaCam footage on my phone. It uses iOS 13's support for reading USB drives. You can download it here: ‎Dash View for Tesla Cars. You can just plug in your drive, and then view your footage right on your phone.

It has extremely smooth playback up to 4x speed and the ability to export composite videos of whichever cameras you want to export. You can also export fun time lapses. You can also jump straight to around the moment your Tesla detected the Sentry Incident.

You can use any USB drive with an appropriate adaptor. For SD cards, you can use Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader — Apple, and for USB drives you can use Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. Apple has a restriction on the power output for iPhones, so for some USB drives you may have to plug the adaptor into power.

I'm open to suggestions for further improvement - let me know if there are any features that you would want me to add.

Can confirm, this app is pretty sweet. I also found what may be the only microSD reader in existence (probably not really) that works without external power. Nice work on the app!

Thanks for featuring the app in your video! I saw your review on the App Store and am working on adding the features/enhancements you mentioned. Let me know if you have any other feature suggestions.

Reactions: mswlogo
Hi wfltaylor (and/or buddhra)
Having an issue with your app, hope you can assist.

I watched buddhra's video and purchased exactly what he has used (same SD micro card, same card reader, same Apple lightning adapter, and your app). When i plug these devices into my phone (and ipad for that matter), the app doesn't recognize the SD card at the "add new drive" step. Last night it actually showed up occasionally but this morning it won't at all. When i plug the card/adapter into my computer it works fine, I can see the TeslaCam file and watch videos. It just appears that the app can't see it.

Any advice?

EDIT: interestingly if i use the old usb (rocketek) that i was using for capturing and a generic lightning to usb adapter, it all works fine (note that i don't get the power error buddhra describes in his video). Also, with the buddhra's set up, my phone/ipad "files" app also has issues. So it's strange....computer=ok, but Apple Files and your App not ok. I suppose it could be an issue with the card reader or the card itself, which means i guess i have to buy another of each to know for sure (grrrr).

Thanks!

Last edited:
After getting a Model 3 about a month ago I decided to make an app so I could view my Sentry Incidents and TeslaCam footage on my phone. It uses iOS 13's support for reading USB drives. You can download it here: ‎Dash View for Tesla Cars. You can just plug in your drive, and then view your footage right on your phone.

It has extremely smooth playback up to 4x speed and the ability to export composite videos of whichever cameras you want to export. You can also export fun time lapses. You can also jump straight to around the moment your Tesla detected the Sentry Incident.

You can use any USB drive with an appropriate adaptor. For SD cards, you can use Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader — Apple, and for USB drives you can use Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. Apple has a restriction on the power output for iPhones, so for some USB drives you may have to plug the adaptor into power.

I'm open to suggestions for further improvement - let me know if there are any features that you would want me to add.
I (may be many) am looking for an App for Apple watch with simple & basic function & features not too much/sophisticated function. There are Tesla Stats, Remote for Tesla Apps with too much stuff. I hope you see the opportunity there.

Dumb question: how do I know around what time the sentry event occurred ?

Sentry events occur in the last minute or two of the camera's buffered recording. When a Sentry event is detected TelsaCam will transfer video from that point and up to 10 minutes before in total from the buffered files and place them into a file in the Sentry folder. You generally end up with 40 1-minute videos that encompass that timeframe (10 min. from each of the 4 cameras). Why go back in time? I assume that's so you might catch someone as they approach your car to vandalize it or to catch the vechicle action that lead up to an accident. So start at the most recent Sentry minute recorded files and work your way back if you need to.

Last edited:
Hi wfltaylor (and/or buddhra)
Having an issue with your app, hope you can assist.

I watched buddhra's video and purchased exactly what he has used (same SD micro card, same card reader, same Apple lightning adapter, and your app). When i plug these devices into my phone (and ipad for that matter), the app doesn't recognize the SD card at the "add new drive" step. Last night it actually showed up occasionally but this morning it won't at all. When i plug the card/adapter into my computer it works fine, I can see the TeslaCam file and watch videos. It just appears that the app can't see it.

Any advice?

EDIT: interestingly if i use the old usb (rocketek) that i was using for capturing and a generic lightning to usb adapter, it all works fine (note that i don't get the power error buddhra describes in his video). Also, with the buddhra's set up, my phone/ipad "files" app also has issues. So it's strange....computer=ok, but Apple Files and your App not ok. I suppose it could be an issue with the card reader or the card itself, which means i guess i have to buy another of each to know for sure (grrrr).

Thanks!
Unfortunately iOS 13's integration with some devices can be a bit flaky. Hopefully Apple keeps making it better in new updates. My personal setup is a Apple Lightning to SD card camera adaptor and a SD card adaptor for in the car.

Dash View for Tesla Cars does not come up on my iPhone XMax when I go to the App store. Tried searching several ways and even with the name of the app and search just brings up other apps. Don't understand why.