Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Sentry Mode cameras through app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CWebs

Mar 21, 2021
Ohio
Hi, new Tesla Model Y owner (6 mon ago) and new to this forum. I was wondering if there is any discussion about being able to view live Sentry Mode cameras through the app some day?

Also, does anyone else have an issue with their side view mirrors not going back to preset after backing? And still not to driver preset when exiting and re-entering car?

Thanks.

Welcome.
There are apps, that allow you to view sentry on an app, but they aren’t super easy to set up, so most don’t seem to use it that way. Someone will likely chime in with details for this.

As for the mirrors. I’ve only had my right mirror folded forward once. I just folded it back manually, and it re-sync’d with the other one.
That used to happen constantly on my BMW.

Plenty of discussion about viewing dashcam footage via the mobile app, but it hasn't happened yet. There was plenty of discussion about viewing footage on the touchscreen before that was actually implemented, so keep your hopes up. 🙂

Regarding the mirror issue, try rebooting (hold in both scroll wheels until the touchscreen goes blank). That often fixes strange issues. If the problem persists, schedule a service appointment from the app. It might be a mechanical issue.

Plenty of discussion about viewing dashcam footage via the mobile app, but it hasn't happened yet. There was plenty of discussion about viewing footage on the touchscreen before that was actually implemented, so keep your hopes up. 🙂

Regarding the mirror issue, try rebooting (hold in both scroll wheels until the touchscreen goes blank). That often fixes strange issues. If the problem persists, schedule a service appointment from the app. It might be a mechanical issue.

Viewing the sentry mode / dash cam video on the touch screen does not have any cost to tesla other than the time spent to implement the feature. Viewing the same footage through the app would have a pretty darn large impact on how much mobile data the tesla fleet as a whole uses.

I personally dont think we will see "I want to view my camera's live through the app" or "I want to view the sentry mode video (thats stored on the USB drive in the car) in the tesla app. The only way we would see that, is if tesla changes to uploading all that data to the cloud instead of saving it to a USB drive thats local to the car.

(no inside knowledge here, just my personal opinion).

There are people who have setup stuff with a raspberry pi to automatically upload their sentry videos when they get home to their home storage, and also I think for a while someone sold a device called a roadie that did something with the dashcam videos... I think playing them on your phone but I am not sure of that. I think it was streaming from the USB drive via a wifi usb drive though.

It can be viewed in some third party apps with custom recording device hooked up to a hotspot. It’s going to be complex and expensive but it’s doable.

Viewing on the official Tesla app will be quite some time, if ever, and likely without additional costs.

The interesting thing is that Tesla could offer this and quite a lot of other features with in app purchase to fund them. But honestly I think a lot of people would feel take advantage of, nickeled and dimed, or resources better spent way finishing FSD.

It can be viewed in some third party apps with custom recording device hooked up to a hotspot. It’s going to be complex and expensive but it’s doable.

Viewing on the official Tesla app will be quite some time, if ever, and likely without additional costs.

The interesting thing is that Tesla could offer this and quite a lot of other features with in app purchase to fund them. But honestly I think a lot of people would feel take advantage of, nickeled and dimed, or resources better spent way finishing FSD.
@CWebs I have a Blackvue SR 900 dashcam connected to the cloud, so I can check remotely the car surrounding when parked.
In case of an event, I receive an alert on my phone and I can download recorded videos or get a life stream.
I wish Tesla provides such remote access features with Sentry.

Ring did announce Ring Car Connect last year and it is expected to launch this year.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Is the optional Ring Connectivity Plan the same as their existing Ring Protect Plans for other devices? Without the optional plan you can only view video remotely if the car is connected to WiFi, which rules out most locations where you’d use Sentry Mode.

Is the optional Ring Connectivity Plan the same as their existing Ring Protect Plans for other devices? Without the optional plan you can only view video remotely if the car is connected to WiFi, which rules out most locations where you’d use Sentry Mode.
I don't know the details yet. Like @Watts_Up , I have a Blackvue and I have it set up to connect to wifi in a couple different spots (home, work, etc.) but I've thought about getting a cheap or free wifi hotspot as others have done.

I've had my side mirrors stay in the "tilted down" position a few times. It's just one side that doesn't return when that happens. I think I just change profiles, or put it back in reverse and then drive, something like that, to solve it. Small software glitch. Doesn't happen often.

I've had my side mirrors stay in the "tilted down" position a few times. It's just one side that doesn't return when that happens. I think I just change profiles, or put it back in reverse and then drive, something like that, to solve it. Small software glitch. Doesn't happen often.

I this issue with the passanger mirror going down and staying down or out of position on my Y, it was the issue with the update and as soon as the new update came out this issue was resolved for me and now all is back to normal.

Reactions: GtiMart
I don't know the details yet. Like @Watts_Up , I have a Blackvue and I have it set up to connect to wifi in a couple different spots (home, work, etc.) but I've thought about getting a cheap or free wifi hotspot as others have done.
I am a Comcast/Xfinity ISP subscriber, so I cloned the router inside my car using my phone's MAC address, to access a hotspots automatically when in range.
I use the new GL MT1300 router, which provides 2.5 G and 5 G access. I put it just on top of my dashboard and cover it with a dashboard liner cover.

Both the Tesla display and the Blackvue dashcam are connected to this router, so I receive Tesla updates with no problem when parked,
if Sentry is on, then my dashcam is also powered and I can access it remotely.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I am a Comcast/Xfinity ISP subscriber, so I cloned the router inside my car using my phone's MAC address, to access a hotspots automatically when in range.
I use the new GL MT1300 router, which provides 2.5 G and 5 G access. I put it just on top of my dashboard and cover it with a dashboard liner cover.

Both the Tesla display and the Blackvue dashcam are connected to this router, so I receive Tesla updates with no problem when parked,
if Sentry is on, then my dashcam is also powered and I can access it remotely.
Great idea! My mom recently moved to town and I did something similar. I set up a travel router similar to yours with WISP so that I could control things in her new place before she moved to town and signed up for Comcast. Now that she's not using it anymore, I could install it in my car! That will allow it to have internet nearly everywhere I park around town and won't cost anything for service!